Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook just bought WhatsApp for $16 billion!

My heart sank upon just seeing this headline, even if nothing changes to the functionality of the app, surely all the data (addresses, friends, all conversations) WhasApp will now be mined, dissected, analysed and stored by Facebook in their personal file that they have on me :(. </tinfoil hat>

I thought that with Instagram but was proved wrong (at least so far!), not sure FB are stupid enough to ruin a strong brand like WhatsApp. Think the game here isn't data (which is Google's with buying things like Nest) but mobile functionality.

Consider FB's big buys and what they means for what they control on your phone:
  • Instagram - used more than the default camera app for a lot of people
  • WhatsApp - used more than the text messaging app for a lot of people.
It's about mobile. The key thing is what do they do once they own a great deal of the digital mobile estate...?

It's all about the user data.

Putting a man on the Moon cost less than what Facebook paid for WhatsApp, a generic chat app. So why is Facebook paying $45 per user to gain functionality it already has?

The silly numbers look even sillier when you consider Facebook's own Messenger only lags narrowly behind WhatsApp in terms of usage. Facebook Messenger maintains a lead in the USA, despite WhatsApp's growth.

The most likely explanation is that it's actually paying $42 for your phone book.

WhatsApp notoriously rifles through your address book, scoops up your phone numbers, and uploads them to its servers. This is something Facebook has wanted for some time since its own phone records are incomplete.

Although half of its daily users are mobile, many don't share their full contact network with Facebook, and of the desktop-only Facebook users, many don't share their telephone numbers.

In July last year Symantec found that Facebook had slurped users' telephone numbers from its Android Facebook app. Caught red-handed, the social network said it had deleted the phone numbers extracted by this method from its servers.

Last October, in what was beginning to look like a desperation move, Facebook changed its policy to allow it to extract its users' phone number. Facebook admitted last summer it leaked some 6 million phone numbers passed voluntarily to the social network to other Facebook users.

Rather ominously, WhatsApp has a wretched reputation for security. It's really just a quick and dirty chat clone which borrowed much from the existing clients, and, as it was developed, BlackBerry's BBM.

Until August 2012, all chats were transmitted in plain text. It then implemented a crude and widely criticised cryptographic layer – which was compromised. In a word, its security is "horrible".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/20/facebook_whatsapp_19bn_buy_also_45_for_your_phonebook/
There's no secret sauce to WhatsApp, which in any case, has almost run out of BBM features to replicate.
:D

My heart sank upon just seeing this headline, even if nothing changes to the functionality of the app, surely all the data (addresses, friends, all conversations) WhasApp will now be mined, dissected, analysed and stored by Facebook in their personal file that they have on me :(. </tinfoil hat>

Put your faith in money grabbing bastards and this is what'll happen.

BTW this deal values whatsapp at double the Royal Mail!

We are well into bubble territory again although most of these silly deals are based on the stock value of FB.

Does look good. Obvs, reliant on your friends taking it up, too, but just tried it with a few people here and it's nice. Similar to WhatsApp without the forthcoming Facebook evils. :D

Well, I've now exchanged a few messages and pictures using it.
Very simple, has group chat, secret chat etc.
Cheaper than WhatsApp too...

Just downloaded it now. Looks exactly the same as WhatsApp. Loving the 1 gig upper limit on videos - I can send people a whole movie :D

As the various incarnations of social media have shown us so far people need a good reason to move. Really a product that is a significant step forward in some respect. Most people won't be that bothered about the extra data mining or even a few adverts if their friends are still on whats app.

Until this app has a critical mass of users it's just another drain on battery :(

Back
Top Bottom