Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook just bought WhatsApp for $16 billion!

That's a good point actually. The unique key that whatsapp uses to identify and link users (their phone number) is quite ingrained most people and it seems their user map is built without mutual consent. That is to say if person A has person B in their phone book there will be a link even if person B doesn't have the person A's number or indeed use what's app.

There are loads of clones such as viber and message me as well as the more conventional platforms suhc as skype. However as always it's down to what your friends use. At the moment that's whatsapp for me.

From the people I know who use WhatsApp, most of them are BBM refugees. They wanted the social group they had on BBM but wanted it on better handsets than Blackberry. The decline of BBM and rise of WhatsApp should give some idea of how transient the messaging business is. I remember when ICQ was the best IM service.

From the people I know who use WhatsApp, most of them are BBM refugees. They wanted the social group they had on BBM but wanted it on better handsets than Blackberry. The decline of BBM and rise of WhatsApp should give some idea of how transient the messaging business is. I remember when ICQ was the best IM service.

Indeed.

BBM is hideous off-platform (eg, on Android for me).

Yep. WhatsApp basically started off as a BBM clone, then took over when Android/iPhone won.

Anyway, I have WhatsApp and BBM on my phone, and I use both about the same amount. BBM is much the better messaging service.

BBM is out for Android and iPhone, for those that didn't know.

My heart sank upon just seeing this headline, even if nothing changes to the functionality of the app, surely all the data (addresses, friends, all conversations) WhasApp will now be mined, dissected, analysed and stored by Facebook in their personal file that they have on me :(. </tinfoil hat>
Yep, and that's what makes it a totally different proposition to Facebook taking over a photo app.

Facebook are stupid..... you can download whatsapp for free :facepalm:

You pay a dollar a year after the first year, tbf. Still, even with 1 billion users, 19 years before you see a return on your investment, not taking into account lost interest/inflation.

Madness.

You pay a dollar a year after the first year, tbf. Still, even with 1 billion users, 19 years before you see a return on your investment, not taking into account lost interest/inflation.

Madness.

Ive had it for over a year and dont recall ever paying them anything.

BBC's reporting reaches new heights ...

_73090909_a8018d50-20b4-4213-8fbf-1cd2d34546a1.jpg

Hangouts is really good. Better than WhatsApp in some regards, but I don't know that many people on it.

Yeah, but I'm not signing up for G+, no matter what, so pointless. I only want to be able to send photos and stuff without having to use MMS.

Hangouts is really good. Better than WhatsApp in some regards, but I don't know that many people on it.
Everyone with an Android phone has Hangouts, don't they?

I just message people on it (using their Gmail account) and then they see the notification and are surprised, ask me what it is, etc. Then they carry on using it.

I'd have ended that coversation with "yeah, well as your mum knows there's some things facebook can't afford, like her liposuction"

G+ Hangouts are pretty good, got a couple on the go
just signed up with WhatsApp to see what the fuss is about - there are about 20 people I could message - but only one I will message - who is on G+ anyway

Looks like these guys really made out well from this, Google tried to buy them for 9 billion less and crucially no seat on the board.

Back
Top Bottom