Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook just bought WhatsApp for $16 billion!

Kid_Eternity

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
WOW.

Mark-Zuckerberg2.jpg

Facebook basically now own the two big players in the new social media...

Huge deal! WA is massive and was clearly on course to beat Facebook in terms of users (it's halfway there already and growing insanely fast).

Disastrous news. WhatsApp is brilliant and Facebook is sure to fuck it right up.

Not sure they'll "fuck it right up"! - they'll probably have some kind of integration with their own messaging app.

They haven't really done anything with Instagram - I think this was more of a keep Google from acquiring it move.

Not sure they'll "fuck it right up"! - they'll probably have some kind of integration with their own messaging app.

They haven't really done anything with Instagram - I think this was more of a keep Google from acquiring it move.

Slightly extreme reaction by the Editor there. Instagram has been owned by FB for some time and isn't fucked up.

They'll integrate it with Facebook Home (iirc - their smartphone skin / crapware thing that they have evil plans for)

I dunno. How much did they pay for that?

e2a wiki says 1 billion. BIIIIIG difference

Not really, everyone flipped out when they bought that for that amount and asked exactly the same question. A year or so later and nothing has come of all the panic.

Not really, everyone flipped out when they bought that for that amount and asked exactly the same question. A year or so later and nothing has come of all the panic.
I do wonder how the TOS scandal with Instagram happened tho. Coincidental that it came so soon after the FB takeover?

Either way - from the WhatsApp blog.

"Today we are announcing a partnership with Facebook that will allow us to continue on that simple mission. Doing this will give WhatsApp the flexibility to grow and expand, while giving me, Brian, and the rest of our team more time to focus on building a communications service that’s as fast, affordable and personal as possible.

Here’s what will change for you, our users: nothing."

Ok. Let's see.

But what kind of messages? Is it like sending text messages to your mates, Facebook updates to your 'friends' or tweeting to all and sundry? :confused:
Text, images, video and sound files ++. It's just an easier interface than SMS IMO, especially for group messages. It's linked to your phone number, no accounts needed anywhere else.

That's a lot of money for a company who made around $60m profit last year and who, if they stick with their current fees, can only make $1 per user per year.

What's the population of the earth?

That's a lot of money for a company who made around $60m profit last year and who, if they stick with their current fees, can only make $1 per user per year.

6 billion. Or is it 7? Either way. That said, how many active mobile phone numbers are there? Surely more than global pop.

Text, images, video and sound files ++. It's just an easier interface than SMS IMO, especially for group messages. It's linked to your phone number, no accounts needed anywhere else.
Ah, righto, cheers :) (I should probably stop being lazy and just google the fucker :oops:)

It'll be kept independent apparently. I love whatsapp, and facebook. I hardly ever do sms anymore, just whatsapp.

I just wish facebook would get with gmail's model and allow you to see seperate streams of information independent of each other rather than the current melee of friends, news, music, and other stuff all rolled into one continuous news feed.

Almost as if all of the figures in this industry involve utterly imaginary money, unconnected to anything real at all.

I wouldn't mind if they just used their own currency for all of this rather than taking the piss out of real people.

Almost as if all of the figures in this industry involve utterly imaginary money, unconnected to anything real at all.

I wouldn't mind if they just used their own currency for all of this rather than taking the piss out of real people.
According to the filing, Facebook has agreed to pay $12 billion in stock and $4 billion in cash for the company. Facebook has also agreed to pay an additional $3 billion in restricted stock units to WhatsApp's founders and employees as part of the deal, which would bring the total deal price to about $19 billion.

In paying the bulk in facebook stock they are using their own currency really. There will probably be some kind of restrictions on when they can sell the facebook stock too.

A mad amount of money though and I think FB are aware that their stock is in a vulnerable position and trying to diversify and spread the load as much as possible.

My heart sank upon just seeing this headline, even if nothing changes to the functionality of the app, surely all the data (addresses, friends, all conversations) WhasApp will now be mined, dissected, analysed and stored by Facebook in their personal file that they have on me :(. </tinfoil hat>

Back
Top Bottom