Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook are evil

they did when i was there, but all their transmission facilities have been outsourced to Red Bee (at the BBC buildings in White City) since 2010/2011, and they had fewer backup procedures than the old C4 transmission facilities at Horseferry Road.
Had a feeling you would know and I'm not surprised at the squashing into outsourcing but am at the continued outages. At least when I worked for an internet bank the systems were so botched and sodded that we could barely link them together, never mind them dominoing the entire set of websites, buildings, and electronic communications.

Not bothered about faceache but whatsapp not working is a bit of a pain :mad:
Must be really fucked if it's taking this long to sort out :eek:

yup, FB is up... mixed emotions tbh... it's really useful for ADHD support groups, and I was involved in a disussion about a link containing photographs of people from the mid '90s mod/punk/goth subcultures in Brighton (including one of me looking amphetamine-thin in dark glasses with a handful of flyers for a mate's psych night notable for 2 middle aged builders who would regularly come down, drop a trip, and do things like try to climb in the, err, colourful backdrops)... but I'd quite like it to be replaced with somethign less toxic

No business does until the first time they need them.
Nothing at all? Is this just me being a natural future-proofer when it comes to company tech? These days would someone not say "do we have a delayed cloud copy of all our code?" That's day one of a new company logic :hmm:

Have to rely on Line which don't really like using. FB and Twitter can do without (although the former helps keep in touch with family/friends).

Rolling out an update like this without a plan for reverting if it went wrong? Oops.

In other news, the same organisation has 2 billion peoples personal data. 🤔😬
A few less now (or at least fewer private ones):

Eta: looks like it might have come from scraping already publicly available information.

244475328_10157919063221249_4753466541344558546_n.jpg

Press keep reporting that Facebook/Whatsapp/IG were down for 6 hours but it was way longer for me, from at least early afternoon til after I fell asleep around midnight so I reckon maybe 9 hours at the very least?

TikTok, Snapchat, etc etc. The tech industry is littered with companies that thought they were invincible. Facebook certainly don't think they are - see the purchases of Instagram & WhatsApp.

In other news:

Nick Clegg says it's 'misleading'. So probably 100% true.
They made those purchases over three years ago now? Facebook have a dominant position in social media and that isn't changing anytime soon

Internet businesses are all about who had the biggest "moat" - a defensible aspect of the business. The inertia of 2 billion highly active users and the connections between is just enormous

They made those purchases over three years ago now? Facebook have a dominant position in social media and that isn't changing anytime soon

Internet businesses are all about who had the biggest "moat" - a defensible aspect of the business. The inertia of 2 billion highly active users and the connections between is just enormous
This has just been published.

Declining usage in under 25s and they seem to have been fiddling the overall numbers too.

This has just been published.

Declining usage in under 25s and they seem to have been fiddling the overall numbers too.
I hope they get it in the neck I really do but folks are being naive if they think competitors will win out in any meaningful way

Remember that Google went full charge at them, restructuring huge resources onto GooglePlus. Facebook left them for dust

Back
Top Bottom