Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook are evil

My preferred mobile ringtone.

likewise

i still haven't got round to getting mum-tat's old one modified to work on the current BT network - there's someone in bromley who does the necessary, but then lockdown happened.

and if we all get forced on to voip technology, i'm not sure if it will still work

:(

Internet of Things, I knew there'd be a problem with it - connecting all those computers together with a combined intelligence higher than our own :thumbs:

Actually fucking gutted I can't talk to my work WhatsApp pals right now tbh
Yeah, it is a bit unfortunate that it happened right as everyone was about to WhatsApp me to confess their undying love and devotion for me. :( Probably.

likewise

i still haven't got round to getting mum-tat's old one modified to work on the current BT network - there's someone in bromley who does the necessary, but then lockdown happened.

and if we all get forced on to voip technology, i'm not sure if it will still work

:(
Oh, someone will knock up some Arduino oldskool-to-VoIP interface :)

I’ll laugh like fuck if it turns out the employees can’t talk to each other because they’re all on Facebook Workplace.
They are. It's like a 'yo dawg I hear you work at Facebook, so I put a Facebook in your Facebook' thing. I'd imagine absolutely nothing is being done internally, because everything is done via Workplace, and the internal FB messenger.

They are. It's like a 'yo dawg I hear you work at Facebook, so I put a Facebook in your Facebook' thing. I'd imagine absolutely nothing is being done internally, because everything is done via Workplace, and the internal FB messenger.

Yeah, I had an online meeting with a FB ads person and I had to download their app, Blueroom (?) to talk to him. No Zoom or Teams.

Good time to post this.
Websites that are glorified shopping carts with maybe three dynamic pages are maintained by teams of people around the clock, because the truth is everything is breaking all the time, everywhere, for everyone. Right now someone who works for Facebook is getting tens of thousands of error messages and frantically trying to find the problem before the whole charade collapses. There’s a team at a Google office that hasn’t slept in three days. Somewhere there’s a database programmer surrounded by empty Mountain Dew bottles whose husband thinks she’s dead. And if these people stop, the world burns. Most people don’t even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn’t make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants.

I worked there earlier this year (not on the actual social media platform tho) for just under 6 months (I found it a really toxic environment for my ADHD, with a hugely chaotic culture which seemed to be like lots of start-ups fighting in a sack, with things like Definition of Done being a novel concept). It's the only place I've actually quit. The whole 'lets psychologically profile children because we can sell that shit, who cares that it will f*ck their mental health' sorry 'plans for an Instagram for kids' thing was the push I needed.

Stunning how centralised the tech of these companies are. And with no proper back up. I remember years ago when Homebase lost their entire website because they literally only had the one copy but that was before cloud storage was available and disc storage expensive.

Channel 4 are also still struggling after that fire the other week. There are currently no subtitles available for any shows. Do they all really have no business backup strategies?

Stunning how centralised the tech of these companies are. And with no proper back up. I remember years ago when Homebase lost their entire website because they literally only had the one copy but that was before cloud storage was available and disc storage expensive.

Channel 4 are also still struggling after that fire the other week. There are currently no subtitles available for any shows. Do they all really have no business backup strategies?
they did when i was there, but all their transmission facilities have been outsourced to Red Bee (at the BBC buildings in White City) since 2010/2011, and they had fewer backup procedures than the old C4 transmission facilities at Horseferry Road.

Back
Top Bottom