Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook are evil

Which kind of begs the question that I think might have been asked earlier in the thread ... what if Facebook can't be fixed?

I don't think Facebook can be "fixed", because it was never "broken" in the first place. It's not a vehicle that's been involved in a collision. It was deliberately designed to function in the way that it does. Facebook should be shut down because the very premise of it is based on harvesting data from users and selling it on.

Say what you like about facebook, but at least they're cracking down on discrimination against... landlords?

media%2FFPhV-xPXEAATHwn.jpg%3Fname%3Dsmall

Apparently it's sorted now, but only because the situation raised a stink on Twitter. But how many more decisions like this go uncontested, because of Facebook's reliance on underpaid humans and stupid algorithms to do their moderation?

I want to stress that this isn't an issue of free speech, but an issue about Facebook following their own damn rules. Saying one thing while doing another is inherently deceptive, and is only compounded by Facebook's shitty mechanisms for appealing moderation decisions.

Last edited:
A Nebraska teenager is facing criminal charges alleging she aborted a fetus in violation of state law, after authorities obtained her Facebook messages using a search warrant. Seventeen-year-old Celeste Burgess, who is being tried as an adult along with her mother Jessica Burgess, is awaiting trial in Madison County District Court on charges that they broke a Nebraska law banning abortions after 20 weeks.

This marks one of the first instances of a person’s Facebook activity being used to incriminate her in a state where abortion access is restricted — a scenario that has remained largely hypothetical in the weeks following the US Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. Nebraska currently outlaws abortions beyond 20 weeks. On Monday, Republican lawmakers in the state failed to secure enough votes to decrease that window to 12 weeks.

When your own chatbot disses you:

and

Good thing about Facebook: Most news organisations are on it
Bad thing: It is better just to go to the news website

Good thing about Facebook: Many of your friends are on there and you can catch up with them.
Bad thing: People generally only post good things about their lives on Facebook so it is a bit misleading.

With whats happening over at twitter, I think the social media bubble has burst personally.

I'd be glad to see a lot of forums re-appear, so many music ones I used to like have dissapeared or gone very quiet in the last ten years.

After 16 years (yes I was pretty much there from the start, almost) I've finally deleted my account. I kept it for a long time, not to keep up with the rubbish that people post, but because I must have liked about 700 pages of Bands and venues etc. It was a decent all in one place to keep up with events. The final straw for me was not just the growing data farming concerns it was the fucking adverts. I logged on this week and it was an advert for every three posts.

I probably should have deleted it ages ago but farewell bye bye zuckerturg.

not joking, actually bought some stock after mentioning it.

Of all the FAANG companies, they've probably got the best record of creating product in the shortest time. If the metaverse turns out to be another internet landgrab i'll wager they get there first.

They took a big hit with Apple's privacy stuff also but they'll find a workaround and turn that firehose back on
Now is a seriously good time to buy FB stock
Thanks Editor for the thread, the stock is up 83% since this message

Facebook really seems to be dying on its arse now as they monetise the shit out of it at the expense of showing you any of your friends' posts. They're clearly gearing up to rip the guts out of Instagram as well. Removing the ability to see recent posts for a hashtag has rendered a lot of things meaningless.

Back
Top Bottom