Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook are evil

Facebook/Meta cleaners organising against redundancies again, email tool thing here:

Crossposting here:

On Tuesday in London, there's an emergency demo against the cuts to Meta cleaners' hours:
1720434831767.png
Despite our campaign @meta, Churchill are pushing ahead 500 hours of cuts across their 2 London sites.

They have continued consultation despite mutual agreement of suspension pending negotiations.

Join our emergency protest on Tuesday to demand no cuts. ✊

📆 TUESDAY JULY 9
📍 @Meta King’s cross, N1C 4DB
⏰ 3.30PM

Bring banners. Bring flags. Bring noise.

I like Cory Doctorow's description of this process as 'enshittification'. Read more here Cory Doctorow's craphound.com | Cory Doctorow's Literary Works
I’m not a “like to see businesses fail” guy, but I really would like to see a decline in addictive social media usage. I really have seen no overwhelming argument that generations’ attention being sucked into those machines is an entirely good thing for humanity. I think they have far more reach than their value allows. I find them incredibly controlling. The idea that they make money from our very attention gives me the dystopian willies tbh.

I’m not a “like to see businesses fail” guy

I am. When businesses get to the size of Meta, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Apple, they become too powerful to be kept honest by other businesses, their customers, and even governments. Even if they don't become de facto monopolies, their sheer bulk ensures that they can tip the scales in their favour when it comes to the markets, the law, and the media. On top of that, they're almost always publicly traded corporations, meaning that it's the shareholders who ultimately call the shots, and the only thing those evil pieces of fucking shit are truly interested in, is making even more money than ever before, and nothing - not law, not ethics, not morality - is really allowed to stand in the way of squeezing ever more blood from that stone.

I am. When businesses get to the size of Meta, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Apple, they become too powerful to be kept honest by other businesses, their customers, and even governments. Even if they don't become de facto monopolies, their sheer bulk ensures that they can tip the scales in their favour when it comes to the markets, the law, and the media. On top of that, they're almost always publicly traded corporations, meaning that it's the shareholders who ultimately call the shots, and the only thing those evil pieces of fucking shit are truly interested in, is making even more money than ever before, and nothing - not law, not ethics, not morality - is really allowed to stand in the way of squeezing ever more blood from that stone.
I'm with you. I was being simplistic. I mean I don't want a business to fall just becasue it is a business, a part of teh capitalist machine. I have found silicon valley particularly insdeous tbh, and these big companies. It's all dressed in a sort of forward thinking liberalism (it;s why they would rather be shot than seen in a suit) that is seen as wonderful and creative (when it's not even them, it's the creators themselves), ground breaking. But it's more closer to waht they describe when they say "disrupt" - they will play with humanity in a wreckless way which can be pretty disturbing.

Last edited:
Three times today I logged onto YouTube and theee times I got served up Tommy Robinson. It’s that sort of ethical issue that they don’t seem to give much of a shit about. I mean Tommy Robinson is one thing but serving it up to millions of brains over and over? It’s not even really him proliferating his shite, it’s THEM. It’s that sort of thing and the fact they have whole teams of geniuses tspending their whole days on how to make them more addictive or how someone like Bezos doesn’t seem to give a single fuck that the busy high street is gone and will likely never return with his hand in that somewhat. Just shrug your shoulders and go on rogan. There is ethical issues in variety but few seem to give a fuck (too busy mainlining content to care or do anything about it)

I do concede though it ain’t all bad. And people are moving away from using them in unhealthy ways I think more and more. Most of my circle now just stick mainly to whatsapp

What I have noticed in the recent past is the philosophers and critical thinkers are really starting to take it on. Likely have no affect but there are groups of people reframing the whole ecosystem critically and this wasn’t happening at all. It had to happen because we are in the midst of something as powerful if not more so than the Industrial Revolution. When i stare down the bus and not a single person is doing anything other than staring at a monitised reel, then I turn to the philosophers who make me make sense of it because it sure feels dystopian sometimes.

Three times today I logged onto YouTube and theee times I got served up Tommy Robinson. It’s that sort of ethical issue that they don’t seem to give much of a shit about. I mean Tommy Robinson is one thing but serving it up to millions of brains over and over? It’s not even really him proliferating his shite, it’s THEM. It’s that sort of thing and the fact they have whole teams of geniuses tspending their whole days on how to make them more addictive or how someone like Bezos doesn’t seem to give a single fuck that the busy high street is gone and will likely never return with his hand in that somewhat. Just shrug your shoulders and go on rogan. There is ethical issues in variety but few seem to give a fuck (too busy mainlining content to care or do anything about it)

Are you hitting the "Don't recommend this channel" when that shit turns up? I've found that consistently using that feature has eventually trained YouTube to not serve me reactionary bullshit. At least for the main videos; they still occasionally crop up on Shorts.

I do concede though it ain’t all bad. And people are moving away from using them in unhealthy ways I think more and more. Most of my circle now just stick mainly to whatsapp

I really do prefer how YouTube allows me to watch what I want, when I want, without being restricted to a viewing schedule dictated by some broadcasting executive. But there's still a lot of squandered potential within the YouTube model, especially with how it treats creators of quality content in addition to the algorithmic nonsense you've mentioned.

I'd like to think that the tide is starting to turn on social media. Facebook is already considered a platform for old people. Newer platforms like TikTok have yet to run their course, but there is an increasing awareness of how addictive and psychologically damaging social media can be.

For my part I've stopped using the big corporate social media platforms, with the exception of Reddit. But even then I stay away from most of the larger subs, and if the problems with bots, shills, and professional trolls gets much worse then I will serious consider logging out permanently. I don't know if Discord counts, but I use that to stay in touch with family and connect with other players of the video games I enjoy.

What I have noticed in the recent past is the philosophers and critical thinkers are really starting to take it on. Likely have no affect but there are groups of people reframing the whole ecosystem critically and this wasn’t happening at all. It had to happen because we are in the midst of something as powerful if not more so than the Industrial Revolution. When i stare down the bus and not a single person is doing anything other than staring at a monitised reel, then I turn to the philosophers who make me make sense of it because it sure feels dystopian sometimes.

Thing is, from what I remember of life before the internet started dominating everything, people at bus stops weren't living in some pre-lapsarian utopia where they politely debated the finer points of philosophy with each other. They just had their heads buried in books, magazines and newspapers instead, or were wearing Walkmans and staring off in a direction unlikely to catch someone's eye. You might have even spotted someone playing a Gameboy. It's the perfect context for such petty distractions, and I feel that bemoaning people for using the time to play with their phones is to miss the point. I recently had the realisation that the computational power of my modern smartphone made it possible to turn it into a multi-platform retro-gaming device. I can play classic Doom and Quake and run emulators for systems such as the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64, and I can even connect an Xbox controller so I don't have to be stuck with touchscreen controls, which are usually terrible.

The real dystopian element, I think, is what isn't obvious from glancing at fellow public transport passengers in waiting. The dark patterns that keep people hooked on short-form videos or disinformation outlets, the algorithms that channel reading habits down particular directions. That kind of thing.

NoXion have you read any of Byung Chul Han?

No. I don't mean to offend, but he seems a little too influenced by the kind of Continental philosophers that I personally find rather tedious. But the dominance of the tech giants provides plenty of attackable surfaces for a wide range of philosophical and ideological outlooks.

Thing is, from what I remember of life before the internet started dominating everything, people at bus stops weren't living in some pre-lapsarian utopia where they politely debated the finer points of philosophy with each other. They just had their heads buried in books, magazines and newspapers instead, or were wearing Walkmans and staring off in a direction unlikely to catch someone's eye. You might have even spotted someone playing a Gameboy. It's the perfect context for such petty distractions, and I feel that bemoaning people for using the time to play with their phones is to miss the point. I recently had the realisation that the computational power of my modern smartphone made it possible to turn it into a multi-platform retro-gaming device. I can play classic Doom and Quake and run emulators for systems such as the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64, and I can even connect an Xbox controller so I don't have to be stuck with touchscreen controls, which are usually terrible.

Sure, we were allways distracting ourselves. It's very hard not too. We have to fill those gaps. I think the difference though is when that distraction is designed to be addictive, and is monitiesed, and the "time spent" is so large in scope. An argument can be made it was the same with plonking infront of the TV, or sitting in the cinema. But I still think there's huge qualitive differences between distractions, and where we place our attention, and it's affect on attention, and it's affect on the human, too (and affects on childhood, too). You could say a new form of attention has arisen since the internet and the smart phone: hyperattention, a sort of flitting between multiple forms of distraction and satisfaction - an inability to be without somesort of pleasure - more ways to avoid pain. Is sat staring at instagram for hours each day harmless? Probably. But maybe that's the problem. It "stops pain becoming elequont, it stops pain expressing itself" - to quote BCH. The death of boredom. I understand what you're saying about philosophy - philosophers will likely find social media repulsive due to its non-contemplative nature, and especially the up-the-arse-and-round-the-corner post modern types. But their lense is also useful sometimes. Baudrillard's terrifying view of reality is one. You can read him and literally see it everywhere and its all persuasive, but one lense amongst many, no less. And of little use. I think all human's can do is ask themselves is what does this stuff do to us, in the here and now. What affect is it having right now in my life. And I think people are doing that on a far more large scale than they were. Which is a good thing, I think.

Byung Chul Han I would say is a sort of communist conservative, lol. He think traditions, rituals, codes of behaviour, even friendliness are being lost - "everything that once connected us is slowly disappearing" - pubs, clubs, social clubs, youth clubs, working mens clubs, "true eroticism", third spaces. He brings tech into the overall play of neoliberalism. His bleak conclusion is that tech is stealing "confrontations with the other" - and everything is being smoothed out, edges, rounded. We become "project managers of the self". The "master slave dialective is now internalised" - constantly pushing ourselves, constant self help, improvement, "gains". "The self exploits itself", "the bird takes the whip from the master and starts to whip itself to feel like a master". "Survival" at all costs, "surival" as naturalised, inherent. He is the philosopher of "atomisation" par excellence. A true heavyweight, knows the history of philosophy back to front. His work is stunning, tbh. Short, thin books. Descriptive rather than prescriptive, and I suspect deeply (eastern) religious. Worth a look. He's very popular amongst young people. A very exciting writer.

This is a good little podcast discussing a chapter of his work:

:hmm:

A new report from 404 Media that cites documents leaked to its reporters reveals "Active Listening" software that, unsurprisingly, uses a form of artificial intelligence to "capture real-time intent data by listening to our conversations". The leaked documents cite a pitch deck from Cox Media Group (CMG), a TV and radio giant that is one of Facebook's alleged marketing partners.

Read more: Facebook partner admits smartphone microphones listen to people talk to serve better ads

The pitch deck showcases how CMG uses its "Active Listening" software to capture voice data from a smartphone device that can then be paired with behavioral data on the individual to further hone the targeted advertisements. Notably, CMG stated that Amazon, Facebook, and Google are clients of this "Active Listening" software, and following the publishing of the report from 404 Media, Google has removed CMG from its Partner Program list.

This removal then caused Meta to begin reviewing CMG's partnership with the platform to see if it has violated any of its terms of service.

"We know what you're thinking. Is this even legal? It is legal for phones and devices to listen to you. When a new app download or update prompts consumers with a multi-page term of use agreement somewhere in the fine print, Active Listening is often included," reads a now-deleted Cox blog post from November 2023

Read more: Facebook partner admits smartphone microphones listen to people talk to serve better ads

It's nothing new now. Facebook, Google etc know more about you than your closest kin.

Governments love this shit. Spying and collecting data on us has never been so easy. Orwell under estimated his idea of the future but what do I know? I am from the tin foil brigade.

It's nothing new now. Facebook, Google etc know more about you than your closest kin.

Governments love this shit. Spying and collecting data on us has never been so easy. Orwell under estimated his idea of the future but what do I know? I am from the tin foil brigade.
My favourite is the data they get from sleep, from mere walking to the shops. Now, There’s few corners of the human that is free from money being made. But they wear converses to the office and never suits so all good.

Back
Top Bottom