Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Facebook are evil

Not sure I'm at the binning stage yet, but the constant ads and shitey 'suggested content' is a disincentive to look at it.

I'm getting spammed by some crude (as in shitely done) 'women are like.../men are like...' crud pages from the manosphere which keep popping up under a different name no matter how many times I hide or block them along with plenty of other irritating bollocks (although the badly-drawn Bulgarian football who makes harmless comparisons with other countries is so weird it's almost interesting).

I'm on there under a pseudonym and had it nicely tailored so that nearly all I saw was stuff that I was actually interested in. Reticent to delete the account for fear of losing touch with old friends who now live far away etc. but will see how it goes.

I just find myself using it less and less. There's not much point speculatively scrolling through to see what your friends are doing if most of the stuff you're scrolling past is advertisements for what I suspect are probably mostly third-rate, if not downright dodgy, products, most of which are not of very much interest to me anyway (so much for The Algorithm).

Most people I know don't really post any more. It's kind of useful when I get a weird niche intrest for a while like cooking curries or sharpening knives, it's easier then finding and joining a forum, but I've actually deleted the app from my phone, I can doom scroll way to much.

I set up Facebook after a 3 year gap to get on marketplace. Also use it to follow a few bands, and some local tradesmen / events that it’s handy to be in the know about

I probably check it every few days, i don’t use my real name and have no friends :p because I’m happy with the way I have my usage defined
This is like me and Twitter. And I basically only use it to see if my train is delayed/cancelled or not.
I binned off FB last year. I see nothing positive about it anymore.

Actually yes you can, now I check. That's pretty new, it definitely wasn't the case a year or so ago, when you could view posts but not upload.
Oh right yes, you used to not be able to upload from a browser. I assumed that was to stop people from uploading memes rather than photos off their own phone (pre-Facebook era, Facebook presumably don't care as long as you keep clicking).

You could just upload memes from your phone, no shortage of them on IG. It's not been about actually taking photos of things since FB took over.

Monthly

The point is that it is about as far from 'dying on its arse' as it's possible to get

But how many of those users are organic, and how many of them are bots, shills, trolls, propagandists, etc etc? And of those organic users, what's the length and depth of engagement from them? Facebook certainly have no incentive to be entirely truthful and forthcoming about the authenticity and robustness of their userbase. Google/YouTube recently got caught lying to advertisers. Do you really think Facebook/Meta is likely to be any better?

The shine has certainly come off the social media vehicle. The wheels may yet fall off in time too.

But how many of those users are organic, and how many of them are bots, shills, trolls, propagandists, etc etc? And of those organic users, what's the length and depth of engagement from them? Facebook certainly have no incentive to be entirely truthful and forthcoming about the authenticity and robustness of their userbase. Google/YouTube recently got caught lying to advertisers. Do you really think Facebook/Meta is likely to be any better?

The shine has certainly come off the social media vehicle. The wheels may yet fall off in time too.
Non of what you says applies to FB specifically. Even adjusting for your conjectures, FB would still be, by far, literally the most used social network platform in the world and thus not arsebound

Non of what you says applies to FB specifically.

Just because such issues are not limited to Facebook, doesn't mean they aren't salient. Bots, shills, trolls and propagandists are just as much of an issue on Facebook as they are anywhere else, in that they serve to degrade the experience for actual users. As for advertisers, Selling user data is how Facebook makes money from offering their services for free to said users. If enough advertisers lose confidence that the data they're being sold isn't polluted to uselessness by algorithm-gaming and other such junk, then Facebook's revenue model will collapse.

Non of what you says applies to FB specifically. Even adjusting for your conjectures, FB would still be, by far, literally the most used social network platform in the world and thus not arsebound

My point is that we have only FB's word on that, and they have every incentive to tilt and cook the numbers. You're either a fool to take them entirely seriously, or your income depends on keeping up the appearance of them being kosher.

Back
Top Bottom