Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2024

Williams hints mid-season switch if Sargeant's poor form continues​

Williams team principal James Vowles is considering a possible mid-season switch if Logan Sargeant's Formula 1 form does not improve. The 23-year-old Sargeant is the only American driver in F1. He is in his second season with Williams and scored his only F1 point when he finished 10th at the United States GP last October. He had not placed higher than 14th this season heading into the British GP later Sunday.

“There will be a line in the sand where we have to make a decision and at that point, both for 2025 and maybe for something this year, we’ll make a decision on it," Vowles told British broadcaster Sky on Sunday in quotes relayed on F1's website. "But we’re not there today."

Sargeant’s teammate Alex Albon has scored two points this year and notched 27 last year. He has already secured a new multi-year deal but looks set to have a new teammate next year, with Williams heavily linked to Spanish driver Carlos Sainz Jr. He is making way at Ferrari next year as seven-time F1 champion Lewis Hamilton joins from Mercedes.

“Logan all the way through has been provided (with) the opportunity to retain his seat — that’s in his control," Vowles said. “I need performance that’s at Alex’s level, I need him to be there day in and day out.”

There are two races left before F1 takes its mid-season break. Should Sargeant lose his seat he could be replaced in the short term by 17-year-old F2 racer Kimi Antonelli — who is backed by Williams' engine partner Mercedes.

In March, Sargeant experienced what he called the “hardest moment” in his career when he took no part in the Australian GP after Williams gave his car to Albon, whose own vehicle was wrecked in a crash in Friday’s practice.

Vowles accepted circumstances have not always gone Sargeant's way, but only up to a point.

“We also have a responsibility into why he hasn’t been there. There’s been several races where we have not provided the right equipment, simply because of attrition," Vowles said. “That (has) not been the case for quite a few… Well, several races now."

Perez to start British GP from pitlane after PU change​

Sergio Perez will start this afternoon’s British Grand Prix from the pitlane following Red Bull’s decision to add new power unit elements to the Mexican driver’s pool of hardware. Perez's woes began in Q1 when a spin at Silverstone’s damp Copse corner left him beached in the gravel trap, effectively ending his qualifying session. While the setback would have resulted in a lowly P19 starting position regardless, Red Bull saw an opportunity to capitalize on the situation.

The team opted to replace several key power unit components that include a new Internal Combustion Engine, Energy Store, and Control Electronics. These fresh elements all fall outside of Perez's regular allocation for the season.

It’s a smart strategic move by Red Bull, one that aims to avoid penalties later in the season by introducing new components now, with limited disadvantages. Furthermore, Red Bull is now also authorized to make set-up changes on Perez’s RB20. However, a pitlane start is still a monumental challenge for the Mexican who will need to carve his way opportunistically through half of the field to carry himself into the top-ten in the race.

Meanwhile, Perez's teammate Max Verstappen only qualified in fourth place after sustaining damage to his car's floor after running wide at Copse. The Dutchman will launch his race behind the Mercedes duo of Lewis Hamilton and George Russell, as well as McLaren's Lando Norris.

2024 F1 British Grand Prix - Starting grid
PosDriverNat.Team
1George RussellGBRMercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
2Lewis HamiltonGBRMercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
3Lando NorrisGBRMcLaren F1 Team
4Max VerstappenNEDOracle Red Bull Racing
5Oscar PiastriAUSMcLaren F1 Team
6Nico HulkenbergGERMoneyGram Haas F1 Team
7Carlos SainzESPScuderia Ferrari
8Lance StrollCANAston Martin Aramco F1 Team
9Alex AlbonTHAWilliams Racing
10Fernando AlonsoESPAston Martin Aramco F1 Team
11Charles LeclercMONScuderia Ferrari
12Logan SargeantUSAWilliams Racing
13Yuki TsunodaJPNVisa Cash App RB F1 Team
14Zhou GuanyuCHNStake F1 Team Kick Sauber
15Daniel RicciardoAUSVisa Cash App RB F1 Team
16Valtteri BottasFINStake F1 Team Kick Sauber
17Kevin MagnussenDENMoneyGram Haas F1 Team
18Esteban OconFRABWT Alpine F1 Team
19Pierre GaslyFRABWT Alpine F1 Team
Pit LaneSergio PerezMEXOracle Red Bull Racing

FIA admits Verstappen should have had black-and-white flag in Austria
The FIA has admitted to teams Max Verstappen should have been given a warning over his conduct while fighting Lando Norris for the lead of the Austrian Grand Prix. Norris repeatedly complained Verstappen was changing his line in the braking zones during their battle. The pair eventually collided. After the race McLaren team principal Andrea Stella claimed Verstappen has been let off too leniently for past incidents, notably in 2021.

McLaren’s insistence that Verstappen did not abide by the rules during the race has been partially vindicated as the FIA told teams in a meeting at the British Grand Prix that Verstappen should have been given a formal warning during the race. Teams were advised the Red Bull driver should have been shown the black-and-white flag to warn him he would receive a penalty if he did not respect the rules.

The warning to Verstappen would have been issued in line with an updated clause in the International Sporting Code. The revision, introduced last month, has changed the meaning of the black-and-white ‘unsporting conduct’ flag. The clause previously read: “This flag should be shown once only and is a warning to the driver concerned that he has been reported for unsportsmanlike behaviour.” It now states: “This flag should be shown once only and is a warning to the driver concerned for unsportsmanlike behaviour or for an action which may result in a penalty if repeated.”

FIA admits Verstappen should have had black-and-white flag in Austria
The FIA has admitted to teams Max Verstappen should have been given a warning over his conduct while fighting Lando Norris for the lead of the Austrian Grand Prix. Norris repeatedly complained Verstappen was changing his line in the braking zones during their battle. The pair eventually collided. After the race McLaren team principal Andrea Stella claimed Verstappen has been let off too leniently for past incidents, notably in 2021.

McLaren’s insistence that Verstappen did not abide by the rules during the race has been partially vindicated as the FIA told teams in a meeting at the British Grand Prix that Verstappen should have been given a formal warning during the race. Teams were advised the Red Bull driver should have been shown the black-and-white flag to warn him he would receive a penalty if he did not respect the rules.

The warning to Verstappen would have been issued in line with an updated clause in the International Sporting Code. The revision, introduced last month, has changed the meaning of the black-and-white ‘unsporting conduct’ flag. The clause previously read: “This flag should be shown once only and is a warning to the driver concerned that he has been reported for unsportsmanlike behaviour.” It now states: “This flag should be shown once only and is a warning to the driver concerned for unsportsmanlike behaviour or for an action which may result in a penalty if repeated.”
Still completely ineffective as a deterrent to his calculated behaviour. “Shall I preserve my advantage in the WDC by stopping my main rival passing me, or am I afraid they might wave a flag at me…?” Is not gonna be a hard choice, is it?

Still completely ineffective as a deterrent to his calculated behaviour. “Shall I preserve my advantage in the WDC by stopping my main rival passing me, or am I afraid they might wave a flag at me…?” Is not gonna be a hard choice, is it?
This pronouncement, I think, is not intended to improve Verstappen's on-track conduct.

It's more to exculpate the FIA for being spineless during the race.

Sort of: "Yes, we screwed up. But we know how and where we screwed up. We're admitting it, so we gotta get brownie points for that. Who, Verstappen? Well, what're ya gonna do?"

This pronouncement, I think, is not intended to improve Verstappen's on-track conduct.

It's more to exculpate the FIA for being spineless during the race.

Sort of: "Yes, we screwed up. But we know how and where we screwed up. We're admitting it, so we gotta get brownie points for that. Who, Verstappen? Well, what're ya gonna do?"
To me it just demonstrates they are completely inadequate of fulfilling the function of controlling races. Only Charlie Whiting had a clue.

Stream keeps cutting out for me, can't tell if it's having problems or if it's my connection. Tried several links and they're all being the same, so suspect it might be the latter.

Stream keeps cutting out for me, can't tell if it's having problems or if it's my connection. Tried several links and they're all being the same, so suspect it might be the latter.
The second one works well for me but I'm in Brazil

Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom