Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2024

Anthem watch:

Slowish but martial. The usual brass replaced with strings . Lyrical but pompous.

A firm favorite with conquistadors everywhere.

A solid 6/10.

Anyone got a working stream today please?

Have Mercedes made a step forward or is this track specific, I wonder. Maybe we'll have to wait to Silverstone to see, Not sure Spielberg will show much

Have Mercedes made a step forward or is this track specific, I wonder. Maybe we'll have to wait to Silverstone to see, Not sure Spielberg will show much
I think Mercedes are improving - slowly - but McLaren are closing in on RB.

They now look as if they should be winning races, not just getting podium slots.

I think Mercedes are improving - slowly - but McLaren are closing in on RB.

They now look as if they should be winning races, not just getting podium slots.
I agree. Spielberg is a real PU track, lots of straights and Red Bull have the fastest PU still I think. Its interesting that McLaren are beating Mercedes with a Mercedes PU in the car. I find it hard to believe it is all down to aero, but I guess we'll see next weekend.

Fresh on the heels of Spain, we have Spielberg next weekend.

There's an obvious gag opportunity concerning the director of Jaws, but I'm not going to bite.

It's one of those mad, party weekends with egg 'n' spoon races and bouncy castles. The UK telly times will be:

Fri 28 June
FP1 - 11:30
Sprint shootout - 15:30

Sat 29 June
Sprint - 11:00
Qual - 15:00

Sun 30 June
Race - 14:00

Let's hope there'll be close encounters of the thud kind.

:D

Higher chance rain​

Weather forecasts for this weekend’s round of the world championship indicate a slight risk of rain on race day but a stronger chance on Friday afternoon. As this is a sprint race weekend, qualifying for Saturday’s short race is therefore at greatest risk of being affected by rain. After a damp Thursday, forecasts put the risk of rain affecting Spielberg – the city where the track is located – at around 40% for the scheduled start times of both Friday sessions. The chance is slightly higher for sprint qualifying, which may add extra drama to the session.

Once the track dries out, the rain is not expected to return on Saturday. The sprint race will start in sunny and warm conditions at midday, with an ambient temperature of around 27C, before the circuit heats up even more for the start of grand prix qualifying in the afternoon, which should see temperatures breach 30 degrees when Q1 begins.

For the grand prix on Sunday, there is again a risk of rain. However, this is much lower than what is be expected on Friday. While the day will start bright and sunny for the F3 and F2 races in the morning, there should be some cloud cover for when lights go out for the start of the grand prix. Even if rain does not fall, it could bring track temperatures down compared at a track where they can be high. Current forecasts put the risk of rain for Sunday at around 16%, meaning it is unlikely that teams will need to use wet tyres beyond Friday – if they are needed at all, as they were last year.

Horner defiant amid latest Jos Verstappen F1 claim​

Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner was defiant in Friday’s Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix press conferences amid argumentative claims from Jos Verstappen. Jos, the father of Max Verstappen, was scheduled to participate in the Austrian GP Legends parade this weekend behind the wheel of the 2012 Red Bull RB8, but elected to withdraw from the event, blaming Horner in the process. “In recent days, I have heard from several sides that Christian Horner has done everything to not let me drive,” Verstappen told Dutch publication De Telegraaf. “And otherwise to make sure that nothing would be filmed. Then I think, ‘Say it in my face’. This way, it doesn’t have to be for me, I find it very disappointing.”

Furthermore, Verstappen told Formule1.nl “How childish can you be? There was going to be filming, also with a drone, but Horner didn’t want me to be filmed. I’m completely finished with Horner. It’s like a playground here. I would have been allowed to drive in the end, but I backed out. I find this so childish of Horner, but I think it says something about him.”

This isn’t the first time Verstappen has taken issue with Horner in 2024. Earlier in the season he claimed the Team Principal remaining at the helm of Red Bull could “tear apart” the team amid allegations of misconduct that were dismissed by a King’s Counsel. However, Horner categorically denied he prevented Verstappen from participating in the legends parade. “Look, I’ve been made aware,” Horner said on Friday. “The Legends Parade is something that is organized by the circuit. There was no veto from my side or anything like that. And I’m sure the Legends will be in action later.”

With tensions rising between Horner and Verstappen senior, one could argue that could affect Red Bull’s relationship with its start driver but its Team Principal says the driver/team bond is strong. “The relationship with Max has always been very good, very strong,” Horner said. “He’s a key part of our team. He’s our driver, he’s the one that is important obviously to have a strong relationship with. I’ve never had an issue with any of our drivers’ fathers in the past. Whatever Jos’s issues are, I’ve really got nothing to comment on. My interest is in the performance of the team. We have a wonderful team. We’ve got great drivers, in Max, we’ve got the best driver in the world. He came to our team as a young man, and he’s grown and grown in stature. He’s grown as a driver and as a human being. And I think the way he conducts himself, the way he works with the team is outstanding. And that is my key interest. It’s about the performance of the team. It’s about how the team works. And of course, we’ve enjoyed tremendous success. Despite the distractions of this year, we’ve still won 70% of the races, including two sprint races and seven poles. We lead both world championships. So yeah, you can’t control everything in life. I can’t control relationships with drivers’ fathers. But my focus is on the performance of our drivers, the performance of our team. That’s where it will all remain.”

Jos seems intent on disrupting relationships within the Red Bull set-up, particularly with his son and Horner, but the latter isn’t willing to let rifts or distractions take precedence. “I don’t think it’s really helpful to continue talking on the topic of Jos,” he said. “I think our focus is very much on Max. He’s our driver, he’s who we have a contract with, and he’s who we’re focused on trying to win this grand prix with.”

Austrian Sprint Qualifying Result​

1. Max Verstappen
2. Lando Norris
3. Oscar Piastri
4. George Russell
5. Carlos Sainz
6. Lewis Hamilton
7. Sergio Perez
8. Esteban Ocon
9. Pierre Gasly
10. Charles Leclerc
11. Kevin Magnussen
12. Lance Stroll
13. Fernando Alonso
14. Yuki Tsunoda
15. Logan Sargeant
16. Daniel Ricciardo
17. Nico Hulkenberg
18. Valtteri Bottas
19. Alex Albon
20. Zhou Guanyu

Does anyone know what getting into Silverstone might be like next Saturday? Says gates open at 7:30, do we need to be there super-early if we don't want to queue for hours?

Does anyone know what getting into Silverstone might be like next Saturday? Says gates open at 7:30, do we need to be there super-early if we don't want to queue for hours?

I'd aim for 8 and still expect traffic

think they do that wanky pay to get early stuff as well, from memory the roads will be mental after 10am

Hulkenberg slapped with severe penalty after Alonso incident​

Nico Hulkenberg has been handed a 10-second time penalty after an on-track incident with Fernando Alonso during the F1 sprint race in Austria. The Haas driver was involved in an on-track incident with Alonso towards the end of the race as they battled for position. Alonso was forced into the run-off area after Hulkenberg locked up his front right tyre, blocking the Aston Martin competitor from turning in.

As a result, the stewards deemed Hulkenberg to be at fault and issued him with a time penalty, dropping him from 14th to 19th in the classification. “The driver of Car 27 attempted an overtake on Car 14 into Turn 3 but locked up and missed the apex,” a statement from the stewards' said.
“The Car understeered to the very edge of the track, thereby preventing Car 14 from turning in and forcing the other driver off track.” Hulkenberg has also been handed two penalty points on his super licence, the first he has been issued in the last 12 months.

Links

Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom