Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

eyes down for a full house reading challenge thread 2021

How many books do you anticipate reading in 2021?

• Total voters

Pickman's model

Starry Wisdom
usual rules apply.

just a heads-up that we're coming to the end of the year, and that means that a new thread will be starting with effect from 0001 on 1 january 2021, where you can put books read* in the next calendar year. please don't be awkward and demand a different set of 365 days, the 2021 thread is intended for books read** between the very start of 2021 and the very end of 2021***.

anyway, as i say, just a heads-up this thread'll be the one to post your read books on for 2021, and i only mention this so you can start thinking how many books it is likely you'll read next year.

_____

*read includes books read to you, heard as audiofiles, on tapes, cds, etc ad nauseam.
** read in this case means completed.
*** the very end of 2021 is deemed to be 2359 on 31 december 20201

these rules are of course arbitrary. but there you go.

My target was 50 for 2020 which I did meet, but I'm going to go for 45 in 2021 as I want to read some longer ones and I think my higher target this year steered me towards shorter books.
Same here. I only just squeezed in my 50 by throwing a few short ones in near the end, So I'll drop down to 45 this year. Even though I've had more free time this year I've read a lot less. Too much dicking about on here I think is my problem

I was doing well this year until I started studying full time and gave up recording all the dreary textbooks I chewed through. Also I managed to read only about four or five books for their own sake in the last third of the year.

I will try a modest target of 24 this year, not including academic stuff, to encourage me to get back to reading reationally.

My target was 50 for 2020 which I did meet, but I'm going to go for 45 in 2021 as I want to read some longer ones and I think my higher target this year steered me towards shorter books.
Exactly this but was 36 this year and I met, but will be 24 next year.
Have a thousand pager on the go at the moment and want to read a few more next year

Also I have a question. If you are reading a series, like the Avignon quincunx, do you count each book separately? I’m currently on Monsieur, the first one.
it depends, you can count each volume of a multivolume work eg fellowship of the ring, two towers, return of the king, or as one (lord of the rings). Up to you. Entirely happy to see you count each book.

Pah, I sometimes read my daughter three books on the same evening. Admittedly some of those we've read dozens of times before.
I'm hoping for fifty plus at least, have found a great source for hookey ebooks so am brushing up on my history mostly but have some lit thrown in. Currently reading Bruce Cumings' The Korean War: A History and Emperor Wu Zhao and Her Pantheon of Devis, Divinities, and Dynastic Mothers by N. Henry Rothschild

I'm going to go for twenty as I'm always setting myself up for failure!

1/20 Conversations with Friends - Sally Rooney. Not really a surprise, given how much I enjoyed Normal People, but I really liked this.

I fell short of my total in 2020 - 43/50. Not sure what 2021 will bring reading-wise, aside from a few books and graphic novels I'd really like to read, so I will keep it light at 25 and see where I go from there.

Back
Top Bottom