Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction Rebellion

Let's all just leave our fridge doors open. That should cool things down a bit. ;)

Or we make a space elevator with a massive radiator* at the top, and pump sea water through it, cooling the water before it returns to the sea. Kind of the same thing. Could work as a thermoelectric generator at the same time. And once the water is flowing, the thermal expansion in the 'up' line's water would counter the contraction in the cooler water flowing downward, so you wouldn't even have to power the pump. Ie. the water going downward is heavier than than the water going upward**

* - not convector
** -I'm pretty certain this wouldn't work, but I don't expect that to stop the idea getting into an AGW-sceptic publication

Last edited:
Let's all just leave our fridge doors open. That should cool things down a bit. ;)
This solution, whilst well intentioned, fails to convince due to it's impractical nature. 8balls's is similar. Far easier to simply switch on the household fan and direct it outside through the back window in a seaward direction.

This solution, whilst well intentioned, fails to convince due to it's impractical nature. 8balls's is similar. Far easier to simply switch on the household fan and direct it outside through the back window in a seaward direction.

Except that my solution does at least remove heat from the closed system under discussion. :p

Maybe start tipping quantities of liquid oxygen into the sea off Lands End?

(This assumes that the space radiator perpetual motion cooler proves difficult to construct)

Obs' Lands End doesn't necessarily need to be the area of choice, but it has the advantage of remoteness, and being in Cornwall, so it could become a tourist attraction in the summer months.

Maybe start tipping quantities of liquid oxygen into the sea off Lands End?

(This assumes that the space radiator perpetual motion cooler proves difficult to construct)

Any help with the nanotubes would be appreciated. Bit short on tensile strength at the moment.

Any help with the nanotubes would be appreciated. Bit short on tensile strength at the moment.

Shouldn't be a problem 8ball:thumbs:

According to my extensive research: In 2000, a multiwalled carbon nanotube was tested to have a tensile strength of 63 gigapascals (9,100,000 psi)!

Shouldn't be a problem 8ball:thumbs:

According to my extensive research: In 2000, a multiwalled carbon nanotube was tested to have a tensile strength of 63 gigapascals (9,100,000 psi)!

Yeah, it's pretty borderline if you want a multipurpose structure.
Got anything on diamond nanothreads? And a couple hundred billion US dollars?

Or we make a space elevator with a massive radiator* at the top, and pump sea water through it, cooling the water before it returns to the sea. Kind of the same thing. Could work as a thermoelectric generator at the same time. And once the water is flowing, the thermal expansion in the 'up' line's water would counter the contraction in the cooler water flowing downward, so you wouldn't even have to power the pump. Ie. the water going downward is heavier than than the water going upward**

* - not convector
** -I'm pretty certain this wouldn't work, but I don't expect that to stop the idea getting into an AGW-sceptic publication
Vacuum is a very poor absorber of heat.

Yeah, it's pretty borderline if you want a multipurpose structure.
Got anything on diamond nanothreads? And a couple hundred billion US dollars?

Maybe raise you a Boron nitride nanotube? It has the specific advantage of being visible at night (provided its painted with rare-earth atoms of europium, which turns a BN nanotube into a phosphor material emitting visible light under electron excitation). Could be useful?

Maybe raise you a Boron nitride nanotube? It has the specific advantage of being visible at night (provided its painted with rare-earth atoms of europium, which turns a BN nanotube into a phosphor material emitting visible light under electron excitation). Could be useful?

Ooh, I like that! :cool:

Sounds pricey, but I see sponsorship opportunities there.

This is usually around the point where I get kicked off the thread for a week for going off-topic...

If it is too late there is no proper case for political action, but a massive argument for simply saying fuck it, we are all dead, so lets get stoned and pissed and shag ourselves into oblivion. So many are probably into that despairing hopelessness already that you could be right. But i don't believe that you believe that anyway - you hold on to anarchism don't you? Why bother if its game over?
upload_2019-10-22_15-41-47.png
upload_2019-10-22_15-42-16.png
upload_2019-10-22_15-42-47.png
upload_2019-10-22_15-43-5.png
Large loss of CO 2 in winter observed across the northern permafrost region | Nature Climate Change

Sponsorship is key 8ball. The sale of the NHS to Trump Medicaments should help. And. Don't overlook the value created by each deregulated worker once the bonfire of restrictive practises and workers rights has been ignited.

Sponsorship is key 8ball. The sale of the NHS to Trump Medicaments should help. And. Don't overlook the value created by each deregulated worker once the bonfire of restrictive practises and workers rights has been ignited.

I'm not sure how selling the NHS to Trump would feed into it - I was kind of more just thinking of getting Rihanna to pay for it by showing her videos on it or something.
Idea needs work...

Thread. What to make of all this then?

Not very much at all to make from that.
A fraction of a fraction of 1% (0.03%) of his Heathrow stake went to XR.

That's like chucking a few coppers to a hippy mate from Uni.

It would be quite visible if XR were steering people away from donors' interests (I am cynical enough to consider the possibility, though).

Back
Top Bottom