Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction Rebellion

But I thought one of the more interesting things about XR was a move away from that kinda protest thing where it looks like you're just asking people to choose a 'better' car?

This popped up yesterday, worth a read Dear XR, why not be more honest with your participants? — Why Social Movements Matter

Well perhaps. Maybe less troublesome than the tube. The thing with expensive cars is that they are a status symbol. I'd tax them as such but that's a different story.

That's a long read but has some sense in it.

Not yet, what do you think? I like it as an idea.

A lot of people liked the idea of age-limiting dodgy (or just adult) internet content.
I think this idea has similar surface appeal and falls apart equally as quickly.

Some places have "luxury taxes" which I think has more coherence (and might be kind of what you have in mind - maybe I'm taking the terms over-literally).

Yeah that's it. The product remains a status symbol but the rich pay an extraordinary amount to be flash.

The "luxury tax" concept has some overlap with the "sin tax" concept (see beer/fags etc.).
Except that certain status symbols are such because only certain people can afford them, and hence pay over the odds for them, just to show they can. Smokers, on the other hand, would love fags to be cheaper.

Would be interesting to see how it would pan out, the main “usage reduction” mechanic would be borked, and you might actually have a pressure in the direction of increased use. Plus other effects based on what market bracket you push the goods into.

If you want to optimally reduce usage you could look at pushing the prices of specific goods into price categories where the usual buyers think that particular thing is hopelessly naff.

<ponders>

One good thing is that you will have some dosh for the treasury, but being able to see the rich has some utility too, so many of them go round in disguise as it is.

Luxury goods tax - not a new idea.
Between 1940 and 1973, the main consumption tax in the UK, the Purchase Tax, had a class bias in favour of workers, not owners. It was levied only on luxury goods, at a rate of just over 33%. The stated goal of this tax, which originated in war-time, was to reduce the wastage of raw materials and redirect resources into the war economy. In 1973 the Purchase Tax was replaced by VAT, then levied at 8%; this represented a massive shift in the burden of indirect taxation from wealthy individuals to ordinary workers and the poor. VAT now stands at 20%, effectively cancelling out the gains to low-wage workers from the tax-free threshold on income tax. Primary responsibility for raising rates of VAT rests with Conservative governments, but Labour governments have consistently failed to reduce, much less abolish it.
The article then goes on to argue for a new luxury goods tax.
Towards a Luxury Goods Tax

Luxury goods tax - not a new idea.
The article then goes on to argue for a new luxury goods tax.
Towards a Luxury Goods Tax
That's it, vat taxes the poor on the stuff they need and the rich too but as a proportion of the 2 groups incomes the poor pay more. Rich always need to show off and at a certain level can have anything they want and will still buy it no matter what the cost.

Good piece from John Warwick, which exposes Hallem’s crap, & touches on what Pickman's model was saying about a diversity of tactics has to be the way forward.

No, Extinction Rebels, nonviolence is not the only way

Nothing to disagree with in John's piece. As suggested, XR are new, burgeoning, and prone to the mistakes that infants might make as they are developing. Roger H has displayed some outstanding upside qualities (energy, courage, self sacrifice, and putting money where mouth is), but the neg ones are troubling. Internal democracy needs enhancing. and don't forget the man remains a political prisoner.

But I thought one of the more interesting things about XR was a move away from that kinda protest thing where it looks like you're just asking people to choose a 'better' car?

This popped up yesterday, worth a read Dear XR, why not be more honest with your participants? — Why Social Movements Matter

A few comments on the article :

• Underlying the whole article is why didn't XR ask me about their strategy as I'm an academic whose written books. I found this irritating.
  • On the "tyranny of structurelessness " he is right.
  • That XR is just a southern England based organisaton is just wrong.
  • There is now more debate. See posts about XR Scotland which openly criticise leading lights of XR. Have to see how that goes.
  • On XR attitude to police showing that they don't understand the nature of the state I think he is wrong. XR official line is that so called parliamentary democracy is in hock to big vested interests. Why the call for mass civil disobedience. So XR do see the present State as a problem. My talks with XR on the ground is that they don't want to blame individual police who are just ordinary people caught in the crossfire so to speak. This still is questionable. But XR do have a criticism of the State. ( Though rank and file XR don't always get this I think. They think XR is like a pressure group. As one said to me she wants to get a message through to Boris).
On his discussion of SWP. That XR could become like a sectarian organisation. The Only Way is XR. I do think there is something in that.

Well I know SWP in my area. The SWP is quite strong but has members who been in it a long time. So not everyone burns out.

I'm involved in a couple of community campaigns. Which can grind one down. A friend gave up on that and joined XR as it seemed more like doing something.

I also think that XR , unlike SWP, do try to care about the member welfare. I've seen well being tents at XR demos. Not something the hard left does.

So whilst the writer of the article is right about some things I think this is a harsh outsiders view.

The writer of the article is an academic who luckily can combine being an academic with activism.

I personally would like to see the word activist ditched.

Most people who are socially concerned and do a bit ( I include myself in that) aren't full time activists. Unlike the writer of the article most people aren't going to be able to do that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom