Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Exec accidentally ejects himself from fighter jet during surprise flight

editor

hiraethified
Oh, I do like this story

A surprise outing in a fighter jet unnerved one defence company executive so much he accidentally ejected himself while flying at over 500km/h (320mph), an investigation into the debacle in France has found.

The 64-year-old civilian got the most unwelcome ride of his life after the force of the take-off made him “float” off his seat, causing him to stand up and involuntarily grab the ejection handle to steady himself.

Air accident investigators found a series of errors in the lead-up to the incident, including ignored medical warnings that the passenger should not undergo to the 3.7g of force generated by the take-off, and loose seat straps that allowed him to float up. He also lost his helmet while being ejected.
And what friends!
The man had never expressed any desire to fly in a fighter jet and had no previous military aviation experience, investigators said. His heart was racing at between 120 and 145 beats per minute beforehand. The flight had been a gift from colleagues and the man felt he couldn’t refuse.

Is it really that easy to activate an ejection seat? I know the things are supposed to be operated quickly in emergencies, but you also don't want pilots launching themselves through the canopy just because they fumbled under the seat for a bit.

Is it really that easy to activate an ejection seat? I know the things are supposed to be operated quickly in emergencies, but you also don't want pilots launching themselves through the canopy just because they fumbled under the seat for a bit.
Well it has to be close to hand and easy to operate by definition doesn't it? The issue here is letting some civilian bellend go flying in a military jet with fuck all training and loose seat straps

:D :D

The Buzzfeeds copy is just as understated
Despite the report's many findings of technical and procedure failings, the very first thing investigators highlighted as the cause of the incident was the stress and surprise the man felt thanks to his well-meaning but ill-advised colleagues.
"This situation generated a feeling of stress for the passenger," investigators wrote, "which was particularly felt during the ejection seat briefing where he had to absorb a large amount of information in a very short time."

Not under their seat. The key on the MKF16F model fitted to the Rafale is between their legs, handle essentially in their lap (spot the yellow/black warning markings below).
mkf16f_1.png

Not under their seat. The key on the MKF16F model fitted to the Rafale is between their legs, handle essentially in their lap (spot the yellow/black warning markings below).
mkf16f_1.png

So to kick it off you don't need to break a tab or twist the handle or anything like that? Just yank it?

The planes I trained on didn't have ejector seats, if shit went sideways you just took the canopy off and jumped out. Before you did this you had to undo your seat belt, via a big circular buckle that nestled just below the very similar buckle that held your parachute on. I always thought it wouldn't have killed them to write 'sealt belt' and 'parachute' on the buckles in large friendly letters, just to be sure.

Doesn't the canopy have to detach first, to avoid what happened to Goose in Top Gun?

I've always assumed that gets blown off as part of pulling the thing (canopy goes, then seat ejects in v. quick succession). Not an aviation buff so I couldn't say for certain, however.

The planes I trained on didn't have ejector seats, if shit went sideways you just took the canopy off and jumped out. Before you did this you had to undo your seat belt, via a big circular buckle that nestled just below the very similar buckle that held your parachute on. I always thought it wouldn't have killed them to write 'sealt belt' and 'parachute' on the buckles in large friendly letters, just to be sure.
Same colour straps?

There is a small explosive charge, which looks like cabling in the canopy.
It it supposed to crack the canopy before the seat ejects. Allegedly.

I've always assumed that gets blown off as part of pulling the thing (canopy goes, then seat ejects in v. quick succession). Not an aviation buff so I couldn't say for certain, however.
it does. Some canopies actually had explosive cord embedded in the Perspex itself which effectively blew a hole in it for the pilots to pass through. Not sure if that still happens.

If you look at the canopy of an ejector seat fitted plane, there is a zig-zag & straight line pattern above the pilot.
That's explosive.
When the handle is yanked, that blows a hole in the canopy, but even if it doesn't - the pilot's helmet goes through as the seat takes off.

verbatim, near as I can remember a briefing ...

Last edited:
He's not going to forget that in a hurry is he! :D
Up to 16g on exit.

So to kick it off you don't need to break a tab or twist the handle or anything like that? Just yank it?
Pull hard.
Doesn't the canopy have to detach first, to avoid what happened to Goose in Top Gun?
This model has an associated canopy pyrotechnic cutting system.
"Exit along the line of least resistance" I recall being told.

Friend of mine is an avid plane watcher.
His retirement present was a couple of air experience flights - one in a Provost.

Back
Top Bottom