Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ethiopian Airlines 737 crashes on way to Kenya 157 onboard.

MrSki

Who am I to say you're wrong
Ethiopian airliner crashes on way to Kenya

An Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 passenger jet has crashed on a flight from Addis Ababa to Nairobi in Kenya.

The flight is believed to have had 149 passengers and eight crew members on board, the airline says.

A spokesman said the crash happened at 08.44 local time on Sunday, shortly after take-off from the Ethiopian capital.
:(

Speculation about 737 Max MCAS trim correction (a form of envelope protection) as per the Lion crash; vertical speed is erratic throughout most of the short flight.

Last ADS-B data indicates altitude about 900ft AGL but coverage is sparse and also limited due to terrain (the crash site is indicated as being further south).

Last edited:
'Captain wanted to return'

The CEO of Ethiopian Airlines Tewolde Gebremariam is speaking at a press conference.

He said the captain of the crashed plane had told controllers at Bole airport that he was having difficulty and wanted to return, and that he had been given clearance.

He also said that the plane had arrived on Sunday morning from South Africa.

“[The] plane had more than three hours of ground time after coming from South Africa, it arrived with no remark and was dispatched with no remark.”

Hopefully they will at least find the black boxes?

Though it looks like not much left at all.
The CVR/FDR memory modules likely will have survived. Might need people from the NTSB/BEA/AAIB to recover the data though. Sometimes even the FMS QAR can be read despite extensive mangling.

Passenger manifest suggests a lot of UN and/or NGOs on board (at least 22 nationalities plus UN passports).

Last edited:
From BBC
Who are the victims?

Ethiopian Airlines CEO Tewolde Gebremariam told a press conference that passengers from more than 30 countries were on board the flight.

He said they included 32 Kenyans, 18 Canadians, nine Ethiopians, eight Italians, eight Chinese, eight Americans, seven Britons, seven French citizens, six Egyptians, five Dutch citizens, four Indians and four people from Slovakia.

Three Austrians, three Swedes, three Russians, two Moroccans, two Spaniards, two Poles and two Israelis were also on the flight.

There was also one passenger each from Belgium, Indonesia, Somalia, Norway, Serbia, Togo, Mozambique, Rwanda, Sudan, Uganda and Yemen.

Recently delivered this aircraft, quite new.
And the second major crash of the MAX-800 in three months. No evidence yet of what caused this one, but the pattern bears similarities to the Lion Air crash- both show an erratic climb rate and a crash a few minutes after takeoff.

The NTSB have confirmed they are dispatching a 4 person team to the crash site to aid investigations.

And the second major crash of the MAX-800 in three months. No evidence yet of what caused this one, but the pattern bears similarities to the Lion Air crash- both show an erratic climb rate and a crash a few minutes after takeoff.
I hadn't been aware of that earlier crash.
Do you know who is investigating it?

I hadn't been aware of that earlier crash.
Do you know who is investigating it?
I’m sure there is an independent air authority investigation as well as by the Indonesian government and Boeing. Last I heard, the MAX-800 new anti-stall technology was at the centre of that crash, but it might have been an issue of inadequate pilot training for that new technology rather than the technology itself being flawed. I don’t know if there’s been a ruling on it yet.

I can imagine if a pilot / co pilot hadn't read and understood that memo that they could crap themselves when the AOA actions started and caused all the other alarms indicated in the paper.

It seems a pretty critical fault in the aircraft to me, or are such critical safety work arounds common in passenger aircraft?

I can imagine if a pilot / co pilot hadn't read and understood that memo that they could crap themselves when the AOA actions started and caused all the other alarms indicated in the paper.

It seems a pretty critical fault in the aircraft to me, or are such critical safety work arounds common in passenger aircraft?

I like how the service bulletin notes that the error only occurs during manual flight, but then note that autopilot will automatically disengage when the error occurs. The pilots must shit themselves with this one.

From BBC
Who are the victims?

Ethiopian Airlines CEO Tewolde Gebremariam told a press conference that passengers from more than 30 countries were on board the flight.

He said they included 32 Kenyans, 18 Canadians, nine Ethiopians, eight Italians, eight Chinese, eight Americans, seven Britons, seven French citizens, six Egyptians, five Dutch citizens, four Indians and four people from Slovakia.

Three Austrians, three Swedes, three Russians, two Moroccans, two Spaniards, two Poles and two Israelis were also on the flight.

There was also one passenger each from Belgium, Indonesia, Somalia, Norway, Serbia, Togo, Mozambique, Rwanda, Sudan, Uganda and Yemen.

And Ireland

From BBC
Who are the victims?

A Slovakian MP’s wife and two children on board, awful.

China has grounded all aircraft of this model, would be amazed if other countries/airlines didn’t follow suit very quickly. I have woken today to four separate customers requesting we don’t book them on this plane.

Back
Top Bottom