Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

It's interesting that as soon as a thread is started trying to discuss what society would be like without cars, the petrolheads move in and try to takeover with their polluting and unnecessary posts.

Like the dull bloke boring on in the pub they haven't clocked that they are dinosaurs and that no one is interested in what they have to say.

It's interesting that as soon as a thread is started trying to discuss what society would be like without cars, the petrolheads move in and try to takeover with their polluting and unnecessary posts.

Like the dull bloke boring on in the pub they haven't clocked that they are dinosaurs and that no one is interested in what they have to say.

This is exactly the hubris of the crypto-currency rampers. Their vision of the future is a certainty and anyone who disagrees is a boomer dinosaur.

Self-awareness isn't your forte, is it.
Imagine a pub table surrounded by boring cunts talking about how the world would be a better place without cars. It'd be like listening to Austin Purcell talking about raffle tickets.

Not catching Covid 19 results in a lower risk of severe Covid 19 symptoms.
apologies, wrong link

Well yes, but even your posh range rover is unlikely to guarantee that.
Now I'm confused

I was of the assumption that, if only on this one point, all factions of U75 were united in a dislike of Range Rovers.

Did I miss a memo?

Well yes, but even your posh range rover is unlikely to guarantee that.
How much more likely do you think you are to catch Covid 19 on a bus than you are to catch it in your own car, even without special cabin filtration?
Public transport is dangerous, and bicycles aren't really a suitable mode of transport for most people over 16 years of age. I do realise its not what you want to hear but the private car is here to stay. No doubt the government will try to ensure that only the wealthy can afford them, which will make a few people here happy, but private cars aren't going away any time soon.

For an example of a symbiotic relationship between cars and bikes (and big fuck off coaches)* - we should all tune into the start of the Tour de France on Saturday

*ETA and performance enhancing pharmaceuticals

For an example of a symbiotic relationship between cars and bikes (and big fuck off coaches)* - we should all tune into the start of the Tour de France on Saturday

*ETA and performance enhancing pharmaceuticals
Drug-fuelled cheating bastards.

Public transport is dangerous, and bicycles aren't really a suitable mode of transport for most people over 16 years of age.
Public transport is on average ten times safer (or 10% as dangerous) as private car travel and bicycles are useful for short trips for all ages.

People can catch covid in lots of places other than their mode of transport and one of the biggest risk factors for severe covid is low activity levels which correlate enormously strongly with car ownership.

This fella's got an 11 year sentence for killing 2 cyclists when he was driving stoned Stoned driver who mowed down two cyclists jailed for their deaths

We're about due for something similar in Brixton - a lot of people think it's normal and 'cool' to drive stoned. One of my neighbours ran me over when he was high.

The street which joins mine to the main road is all of 30 yards wrong, but 10 pedestrians were run over in a 9 month period. (That's just the ones who reported it, which doesn't include me.) The council's remedy is to make the street one way. No talk of extra policing.

When people do get pulled over around here, it's become quite common for the driver to lock the doors and sit tight. It sometimes works because a crowd gathers and the Police have to give up or get major reinforcements. In the cases I saw, they gave up on one occasion (on the street where I and the other 10 people were run over) and on the other occasion 9 police cars attended and the officers very carefully got into the car, trussed up the driver with lots of sets of straps, and removed him. It took about 40 minutes.

Everybody knows this is an option now. It's probably a better gamble than just giving in, knowing you'll be banned. It's also become normal to drive through red lights here. Either they don't stop, or they stop for a few seconds, wait for gap in the pedestrians. and just push through. If there's no traffic light camera, which there hardly ever is, they think it's fine. I usually step into the road when the light's red, and challenge them to stop or run me over. They always look amazed. One guy only just missed my toes last year so I slapped the roof of his car. He went nuts. Wanted to fight me. But the security guards in Superdrug came out and stood behind me. I'll probably end up getting a pasting from some fucker.

There was a survey in the papers the other day, but I can't find it...something about 3 out of 4 drivers thinking they can do what they want without being caught. And that's the way it is. Hardly any traffic police doing stops. Their numbers in the Met have been cut a lot. Nearly all the motorcycle cops have been put on VIP protection because of terrorism. You actually have to leave London to see a motorbike cop doing traffic work. The ones in cars are busy either investigating fatal crashes or using ANPR to catch thieves or the 2 million drivers in the UK without insurance, many of whom have no licence either.

Even if that is true on average, it certainly doesn’t mean that owning a car and doing regular exercise are mutually exclusive activities. It’s up to the individual’s habits and lifestyle, as most things in life tend to be.

A great many individuals who only cycle when commuting to work and do no other exercise will invariably be less healthy than plenty of car drivers who jog regularly, or play sports. There are plenty of lazy unhealthy drivers about as well of course, but not because they own a car.

Cycling is beneficial but countless people who only get on their bikes to commute a few short miles to work at a sedated speed so not to break sweat will not necessarily be any healthier than someone who commutes by car but goes running several times a week, or plays tennis, squash, 5-a-side football or other high aerobic sports regularly.

I’ve met plenty of commute-only cyclists who are very averse to any cycling that gets them out of breath or is deemed as an effort. More than one colleague at work cycling on my general route home will get off the bike and push it up hilly sections, such as the pathetically mild uphill climb on Latchmere Road leading up to the police station (if you happen to know it). Such people are either far lazier and/or unfit than plenty of us at work who don’t cycle regularly but do other sport or exercise.

Bottom line: it’s all down to individual lifestyles and the extent and intensity of the exercise.

Even if that is true on average, it certainly doesn’t mean that owning a car and doing regular exercise are mutually exclusive activities. It’s up to the individual’s habits and lifestyle, as most things in life tend to be.

A great many individuals who only cycle when commuting to work and do no other exercise will invariably be less healthy than plenty of car drivers who jog regularly, or play sports. There are plenty of lazy unhealthy drivers about as well of course, but not because they own a car.

Cycling is beneficial but countless people who only get on their bikes to commute a few short miles to work at a sedated speed so not to break sweat will not necessarily be any healthier than someone who commutes by car but goes running several times a week, or plays tennis, squash, 5-a-side football or other high aerobic sports regularly.

I’ve met plenty of commute-only cyclists who are very averse to any cycling that gets them out of breath or is deemed as an effort. More than one colleague at work cycling on my general route home will get off the bike and push it up hilly sections, such as the pathetically mild uphill climb on Latchmere Road leading up to the police station (if you happen to know it). Such people are either far lazier and/or unfit than plenty of us at work who don’t cycle regularly but do other sport or exercise.

Bottom line: it’s all down to individual lifestyles and the extent and intensity of the exercise.
Statistics show you’re wrong here, but I’m sure your anecdotal examples are proof to you.

This whole cycling makes you fit so people should use bikes to get from A to B thing is a nonsense.

Let’s remove lifts from buildings because people ought to walk up the stairs and be healthier. Why not ban washing machines too? People who spend hours doing laundry by hand are healthier.

We really need to ban any modern conveniences and force people to engage in as much physical drudgery as possible when going about their daily lives.

You've seriously just argued against a peer-reviewed scientific survey with some anecdotes about people you know. And you think you've got a killer argument don't you.

This whole cycling makes you fit so people should use bikes to get from A to B thing is a nonsense.

Let’s remove lifts from buildings because people ought to walk up the stairs and be healthier. Why not ban washing machines too? People who spend hours doing laundry by hand are healthier.

We really need to ban any modern conveniences and force people to engage in as much physical drudgery as possible when going about their daily lives.
Are people who spend hours doing laundry by hand healthier? I bet they suffer from terrible posture and numerous skin complaints.

Well yes, except that cycling is generally one of the fastest ways to get around major cities. Unless you're lucky enough to live next to a tube station with a direct connection to your work or something.

At least they're getting a physical workout, in the same way that cyclists do despite experiencing common cycling injuries.

Most of those are conditions of cycling as a sport activity, specifically for the kind of people who read Cycling Weekly (roadies). And they're often fixable by paying a bit more attention to proper fit, building core strength etc. The shoes one annoys me, but this applies to all - ahem - walks of life really. There are a few manufacturers making more spacious cycling shoes now.

Well yes, except that cycling is generally one of the fastest ways to get around major cities. Unless you're lucky enough to live next to a tube station with a direct connection to your work or something.

Speed isn't a priority for everyone when selecting their preferred transport method for a particular journey.

Back
Top Bottom