Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Yes, cos the traffic will be going slowly enough to stop in time if someone dashes across the road unexpectedly
That’s simply not the case in a good number of scenarios, including some in which speed was not a factor in the first place.

I'm wondering if the history of jaywalking and how the law is applied in the US in particular are not as well known as I'd assumed.
I thought I'd already posted this on this thread... But I haven't - I'd put it on another thread.

I thought I'd already posted this on this thread... But I haven't - I'd put it on another thread.

True and there's also the way the law is applied in the US. Hard to know if this would happen here. I mean, has there ever been any times where laws have been used in this way in the UK? 🤔🤔🤔

Speed limits on Escooters are cancelled out by that bit in the contract where the user promises to ride like a complete cunt at all times.
E-scooters are still illegal on the road unless part of an approved government trial. E-scooter trials: guidance for users And they're illegal on the pavement. The law has not been changed, as many people seem to think. Theoretically you could use one legally on the road if it was taxed, insured and had a registration, and you'd passed an appropriate driving test. But in practice this is thought to be impossible. Nobody's managed it yet. In the meantime, the Met are stopping e-scooters on the road and seizing them for no insurance. Riders can also get points on their driving licence. Or a ban.

I rarely drive at over 30mph in towns anyway because I find it difficult to drive and concentrate on the DVD at speeds much faster than that.
I find it hard to keep a snifter upright in the alcoholic beverage holder when I'm swerving at speeds in excess of 30mph.

The best thing about electric vehicles is that they'll be a piece of piss to reprogram. They're already some of the fastest accelerating vehicles on the planet. A quick tune-up on a laptop and we'll all be driving fucking rockets :thumbs:
I'm already working on it :thumbs:
No point letting all of those lockdown hours go to waste.

I’m all for stricter legislation and harsher penalties governing all types of road users. Including of course the introduction of jaywalking laws and liability for pedestrians- a staple of many countries, some of which get mentioned here as templates for the UK to follow.

For instance, increasingly stiffer financial penalties for repeat jaywalkers would perhaps succeed finally getting the message into predestinas’ heads that is actually neither safe nor okay to not to look before crossing a road or ignore traffic light-controlled crossing. I’d wager that measure would save far more pedestrian lives than well-observed citywide 20 mph limits.
The roads don't belong to drivers - we all pay for them. If 'jaywalking' laws were introduced there would have to be a massive increase in the number of pedestrian crossing - probably many times the number we have currently, which would slow drivers down even more. That would be amusing - be careful what you wish for.

In many places there are no crossings so there is no choice but to just walk across, unless you take a huge detour to the nearest crossing. The whole thing is a ridiculous argument.

The roads don't belong to drivers - we all pay for them. If 'jaywalking' laws were introduced there would have to be a massive increase in the number of pedestrian crossing - probably many times the number we have currently, which would slow drivers down even more. That would be amusing - be careful what you wish for.

In many places there are no crossings so there is no choice but to just walk across, unless you take a huge detour to the nearest crossing. The whole thing is a ridiculous argument.
No, that’s not how they work. Usually the laws state that you cannot cross a road within a stated distance (e.g. 100 meters) of a suitable crossing. If there’s no such suitable crossing then jaywalking restrictions will not apply.

It’s almost as if you’ve got things completely backwards, isn’t it?
No, I think it's rather you who does. There is already an enormous degree of emphasis and legislation to ensure every other road user behaves as carefully and attentively as possible. But no such emphasis exists regarding pedestrians in this country.

And despite how much you might dislike it, despite how much more heavy and metally and massy a motor vehicle is than a pedestrian, there are situations in which a pedestrian can behave in a manner sudden and irresponsible enough as to cause an accident in which the motor vehicle user would be entirely faultless, and entirely incapable of having prevented the accident.

No matter of pretending otherwise is going to change that.

No, I think it's rather you who does. There is already an enormous degree of emphasis and legislation to ensure every other road user behaves as carefully and attentively as possible. But no such emphasis exists regarding pedestrians in this country.

And despite how much you might dislike it, despite how much more heavy and metally and massy a motor vehicle is than a pedestrian, there are situations in which a pedestrian can behave in a manner sudden and irresponsible enough as to cause an accident in which the motor vehicle user would be entirely faultless, and entirely incapable of having prevented the accident.

Your solution is to place the burden onto the pedestrians. That is where you’re the wrong way round.

Just admit you’re a selfish pig who doesn’t care about others and the environment and just likes driving emission-belching cars

Jaywalking laws are of course shit but there is a general point to be made about how rubbish we are at crossing the road. I'm just talking about plain old self-preservation. Its really common (and I mean really common) to see people crossing busy traffic in a stupid and dangerous place where there are actual crossings a few metres away. It happens all the time.

Go through any town or city and it happens all over the place even when there are two pedestrian crossings close to each other there is always some ejit trying to cross inbetween the crossings.

It shouldn't be banned of course, people can cross where they like its just fucking dumb from a not getting hurt perspective.

Back
Top Bottom