Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

I have often wished I had a pushchair or a wheelchair to do exactly that. I've had to resort to having metal fasteners on my jacket, but that doesn't work in summer, although hips can make short work of mirrors if you're in a hurry and don't mind a bruise.

Keys don't have plausible deniability. You may not mind a criminal damage charge, but imagine the ignominy of having to pay compensation to the owner.
Unless they are held at the same sort of level as a metal coat fastener would be.

What would be most satisfying is a can of spray paint to mark onto the car the line that the car would need to be clear of to allow a wheelchair user to pass.

I genuinely can’t empathise in any way with the mentality of someone that parks a car on the pavement like that, gets out and thinks “yeah, that’s fine”. It’s OBVIOUSLY not fine. The level of self-entitlement is so off the scale.
You can just picture the childlike tantrum when they see the scratches though :cool: :D

Most driving is an inherently selfish act, putting one’s on convenience ahead of everyone else. and needs to be recognised as so.

I genuinely can’t empathise in any way with the mentality of someone that parks a car on the pavement like that, gets out and thinks “yeah, that’s fine”. It’s OBVIOUSLY not fine. The level of self-entitlement is so off the scale.
I believe it is primarily a result of living in a car-dominated society, rather than intrinsic to the driver's personality.

I am aware of my behaviour changing as soon as I'm driving.

Most driving is an inherently selfish act, putting one’s on convenience ahead of everyone else. and needs to be recognised as so.

Ed this is only true in central london, in the vast majority of the country car is the only way to travel

Ed this is only true in central london, in the vast majority of the country car is the only way to travel

I live in a country town and have a kid and a job. I travel by bike, bus, train or (more recently) e-scooter. Rarely use a car except at work to take people out and about. Most people I know could probably manage IMO but choose not to.

I’d still contend it’s inherently selfish, it’s a choice to build one’s life around car travel - so much of the countryside has been absolutely ruined by cars.

Selfish or not, I drive places. Everyone I know does. But I know cast-iron sure that very few of those people would park like that, taking up a pavement. That kind of attitude is not inherent to being a driver, no matter how convenient it would be to paint such a caricature

If supercars are that great, why do they need transporting from a to b?

Apparently they all belong to one man who takes them from track day to track day on the transporter. Normally high value cars being transported get a small truck to themselves and are locked inside a box. Not sure if this guy just uses them for himself and mates or if it's some kind of business, supercar driving experiences type thing.

I’d still contend it’s inherently selfish, it’s a choice to build one’s life around car travel - so much of the countryside has been absolutely ruined by cars.
Large parts of the country are built rather horribly round the assumption that everyone can drive. We (a non driving family) went to a holiday park recently and on the map it had looked like a twenty minute stroll into town. What we hadn't accounted for was roads with no pavement or space to walk. Ended up having to get cabs to the train station. Obviously the town planners need shooting but it's a lot easier to decide not to drive in London (even then there are problems like the maternity ward that wouldn't let us take our son home without a car seat) than it is in some rural shithole designed by unimaginative twats.

Large parts of the country are built rather horribly round the assumption that everyone can drive. We (a non driving family) went to a holiday park recently and on the map it had looked like a twenty minute stroll into town. What we hadn't accounted for was roads with no pavement or space to walk. Ended up having to get cabs to the train station. Obviously the town planners need shooting but it's a lot easier to decide not to drive in London (even then there are problems like the maternity ward that wouldn't let us take our son home without a car seat) than it is in some rural shithole designed by unimaginative twats.
Definitely- it’s a vicious circle - make roads more and more geared to cars, more & more people have to drive so we make roads more & more geared to cars.

Fact is any proposal to even slightly readdress the balance gets shouted down by car drivers being selfish.

So if the government/council cut public transport it’s selfish to live there ?

So if the government/council cut public transport it’s selfish to live there ?
I think it’s more nuanced- what benefit is building your life around a car giving anyone? It’s just taking and asking the environment to be changed for you.

Not saying it’s consciously selfish but it’s still selfish.

It would help if there wasn’t loud opposition to any changes to readdress the balance but there’s always a massive outcry to cycle lanes, LTNs, clean air zones etc.

We’re a country beholden to the car so much that HS2 gets greeted with outrage but motorway expansion goes unnoticed.

I think it’s more nuanced- what benefit is building your life around a car giving anyone? It’s just taking and asking the environment to be changed for you.

Not saying it’s consciously selfish but it’s still selfish.

It would help if there wasn’t loud opposition to any changes to readdress the balance but there’s always a massive outcry to cycle lanes, LTNs, clean air zones etc.

We’re a country beholden to the car so much that HS2 gets greeted with outrage but motorway expansion goes unnoticed.

My grandparents when they were alive lived in a small village outside kings lynn, 46 miles from central Norwich. According to Google maps on a Monday morning this journey takes 3 hours by public transport or 75 minutes by car.

Huge quantities of the country are the same or worse.

In most of the country if you want any form independence a car is mandatory, if you want to visit a museum, go to a theatre or do anything other than go to the supermarket

My grandparents when they were alive lived in a small village outside kings lynn, 46 miles from central Norwich. According to Google maps on a Monday morning this journey takes 3 hours by public transport or 75 minutes by car.

Huge quantities of the country are the same or worse.

In most of the country if you want any form independence a car is mandatory, if you want to visit a museum, go to a theatre or do anything other than go to the supermarket
Yes - it’s a choice & it has impacts. Not sure what’s controversial.

I never quite get it, why it is that so many people seem to presume that those of us who argue obsessively against car dependency have never given any thought to the idea that changes are more difficult in rural areas, that it's never occurred to us that the imbalance is even worse there than in cities. Maybe that for some of us, that's where we've experienced it most directly, and it's that experience that has started us on the path of thinking about how to change it.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was in Austria and a friend there was telling me about a conversation he'd had with an elderly woman living in a relatively isolated place somewhere up an Alpine valley. She couldn't/didn't drive, and to get to the nearest shops/doctors/post office was a bit of a mission, involving buses that were slow or infrequent. Let's say for the sake of argument it would take her two hours each way. Meanwhile for someone with a car it was a trivial journey, perhaps 20 minutes or so. And this is the kind of place where a lot of people will say, well, it's just a pipe dream that people could live here without a car, and that we could run a viable public transport service in such a place. Look at how long it takes to get anywhere using public transport.

Austria's rural public transport is (perhaps) better than in the UK but nonetheless things followed a fairly similar path from the mid 20th century onwards, as happened here. As private cars became more accessible and widespread, public services got cut. That particular valley the woman lives in, it used to have a railway branch line running along it but it was closed. And she told him how within her lifetime, it used to be the case that she could simply take a train to the nearest town. It was rapid and the service was frequent. It might even have been quicker than driving is now. So, if reducing car dependency in such areas is a pipe dream it's not a pipe dream because it's technically or logistically impossible. A much better system actually used to exist, but it was discarded. Same in so many parts of the UK. If it's a pipe dream to restore something similar or better, it's because car dependency has become so entrenched that it's incredibly difficult to persuade people that it doesn't have to be that way. Even though there are still a few people around who are old enough to remember when it actually was that way.

Another thing he was telling me about, was some study that someone had done that looked at the amount of resources collectively put towards private transport (car ownership and the supporting infrastructure) and made the argument that it would easily be enough to provide a frequent public transport service to every corner of the country.

I never quite get it, why it is that so many people seem to presume that those of us who argue obsessively against car dependency have never given any thought to the idea that changes are more difficult in rural areas, that it's never occurred to us that the imbalance is even worse there than in cities.

Probably because most of you live in London, drive cars, and call people who drive but have no access to TfL services selfish, and explain that they ought to move to London.

Back
Top Bottom