Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Excellent suggestion here to get rid of road space and replace it with housing. This will annoy the car people that I know read this thread but have given up arguing.

Making Roadbelt happen
1. Mayors and councillors to identify land-hungry road junctions and
excessively wide road infrastructure in city and town centres.
2. Use a portion of the increased number of homes accessible by building
onto defunct road space to fund metro and tram improvements.
3. Value the increased number of people who can access jobs with
transport projects above the time saved on an individual road
commute.
4. Adopt Vision-led transport modelling when assessing the impact of
new development on local infrastructure.
5. Investigate whether portions of the £27bn strategic roads budget
could be better spent on mass transit within cities and towns.
6. The DFT should appoint a light rail czar to boost the UK’s connectivity
and therefore productivity.

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 16.47.41.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 16.49.10.jpg

That was interesting, thanks. I've never thought buying everyone a car would work, but I had wondered about small vans as share taxis, which are used in various ways in parts of the global south and can now be more responsive due to technology. Seems it still doesn't really add up - it's just too inefficient.

It's interesting that the slope is steeper before SUV sales really started to take off in the late 2000s. And to be fair, our car is 169cm wide and the mrs regularly elbows me shifting gears. An extra 5cm wouldn't be unwelcome, which is about what most subcompacts (eg: Pug 208) have expanded to. A bit of width on the standard small car isn't a bad thing, it's the disgusting ones that really need to be reined in.

It's interesting that the slope is steeper before SUV sales really started to take off in the late 2000s. And to be fair, our car is 169cm wide and the mrs regularly elbows me shifting gears. An extra 5cm wouldn't be unwelcome, which is about what most subcompacts (eg: Pug 208) have expanded to. A bit of width on the standard small car isn't a bad thing, it's the disgusting ones that really need to be reined in.
Isn’t it that they’re getting bulkier rather than more space inside?

Isn’t it that they’re getting bulkier rather than more space inside?
I think the SUVs certainly are, but the reinforcements they've added in the doors of a supermini only account for half the extra space (if that). A lot of them just have smaller windows to get the extra door frame crash resistance. The back of my belle-mère's brand new Clio is a bit padded cell.

they is a drive to make us all drive cross over shitty size SUV ATM

look at the size of a mini, a Yaris and similar cars

the fiesta is getting replaced by the revamped cougar..

all small car are now about the size of a family car from 15 year ago .. and the styling is shite :/

Even bikes are swelling tbh, 29" wheels, fat tyres, chunky frames, extra long handlebars... I think we just like feeling like kids, surrounded by big toys.

all small car are now about the size of a family car from 15 year ago
A 2003 Mondeo is still a fair bit larger (outside of height vs. the "crossover" ones) than any "small" car today.
Yes, they've grown bigger. But let's not let that get in the way of facts. (the Yaris you mention isn't bigger than a 2003 Focus, let alone the Mondeo) The difference is that a Mondeo was considered a plush, roomy car in its day and not a "small" car. The things that are getting nearer and nearer to its size are considered "just nearly big enough" now. Also, by 2022 the Mondeo had grown a bit, but nowhere near as much as the smaller cars did. It wasn't a massively larger car 20 years on.

I just think the focus is on the wrong thing. Cars under <180cm wide getting a bit wider but still being less than 180cm is not important. At all. (Bearing in mind 160cm is considered the practical limit for two people to sit next to each other in comfort with current door safety designs.) I saw my first new Disco in the flesh today and I swear I've seen smaller things on railway tracks. The man (of course it was) driving it had to be 6 foot, but disappeared when he went behind it. We now have the people owning these monsters saying "Well, they got larger too!" points at a Clio that could fit in his boot.

Not only is smaller cars growing not as important, it just isn't news. It's been that way since the 70s - we have the Golf, Fiesta, and Civic to look back at. Each getting larger at every single iteration.

Back
Top Bottom