Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

View attachment 383806
this is in my neighbourhood, and it's been pissing me off. Is this illegal? driver obviously uses the dropped curb to hop across pavement to park their car in their front garden....should I go and have words?

It's not illegal to drive over a pavement to gain access to a property, however if there is no dropped kerb the council can sue for damage to the pavement.

It's not illegal to drive over a pavement to gain access to a property

It is illegal to drive over the pavement unless there is a crossover. There is no right to drive across any public footway to access a private forecourt or driveway unless there is a properly built vehicle crossover (section 184, Highways Act 1980).

^^^ google says this???

It is illegal to drive over the pavement unless there is a crossover. There is no right to drive across any public footway to access a private forecourt or driveway unless there is a properly built vehicle crossover (section 184, Highways Act 1980).

^^^ google says this???

That section just gives councils the power to install a dropped kerb and bill the property owner. It does not making driving across the pavement an illegal act.

If they haven't got planning permission for parking in the front garden, then they shouldn't be parking there at all and crossing the pavement is moot.

“It is an offence under Section 184 of the Highways Act 1980, to cross a kerb, verge or footway in a motor vehicle except at a crossing point that has been approved by the Council.“ does somewhat seem to contradict what you are saying.

The council can impose conditions on property owners who habitually drive across a footway, but they'd have to serve a specific notice to that effect. I think the council are being expedient with the wording there.

If they haven't got planning permission for parking in the front garden, then they shouldn't be parking there at all and crossing the pavement is moot.

Do you have any evidence that planning permission is needed to a store a car in a garden, as opposed to say, installing a driveway, or did you just make that up?

Do you have any evidence that planning permission is needed to a store a car in a garden, as opposed to say, installing a driveway, or did you just make that up?
They shouldn't be parking there unless they've made an application for a crossover, and been given permission. There are several reasons they'd probably not be given permission there - it's right next to a junction, and the front garden is very small meaning that there's a likelihood that vehicles parked in it will overhang the pavement (and it looks a bit like they already do).

You can waffle on about the technicalities of the law, but I maintain that such waffle is moot, because if they've not got permission they shouldn't do it and indeed the council could install bollards to stop them and klang could key their car if they want, in the meantime.

Furthermore I said parking, not storing,and parking clearly implies regular exits and entries, each one an opportunity to mow down a pedestrian or damage pedestrian infrastructure.

They shouldn't be parking there unless they've made an application for a crossover, and been given permission. There are several reasons they'd probably not be given permission there - it's right next to a junction, and the front garden is very small meaning that there's a likelihood that vehicles parked in it will overhang the pavement (and it looks a bit like they already do).

You can waffle on about the technicalities of the law, but I maintain that such waffle is moot, because if they've not got permission they shouldn't do it and indeed the council could install bollards to stop them and klang could key their car if they want, in the meantime.

Furthermore I said parking, not storing,and parking clearly implies regular exits and entries, each one an opportunity to mow down a pedestrian or damage pedestrian infrastructure.

Planning permission isn't needed for a dropped kerb though either, except in certain limited situations. I'm not sure why you said "if they haven't got planning permission for parking in the front garden, then they shouldn't be parking there at all and crossing the pavement is moot" if you think waffle about planning permission is moot and permission to cross the pavement is the key. Perhaps you're just making stuff up because you're bored or something.

Ok, the permission you need to install a dropped kerb, and regularly access your land, using a vehicle, across a pavement, is not in fact "planning permission", because the application is made to the Transport Department rather than the Planning Department.

So, you win an internet point.

According to the RAC Foundation, cars on Britain's roads have, on average, got larger over time, both in width and in length. They say that in 1965 the top five models sold in the UK had an average width of 1.5m and average length of 3.9m, compared to an average width of 1.8m and length of 4.3m for the top five sellers of 2020.

I don't know which is the most entertaining part of this. The fact that the Range Rover is useless off road, or the merciless indifference of the refuse worker.

This is brilliant for both the sight of rich twats toys scattered over the tarmac, and some of the the petroleum brained replies to the tweet itself :facepalm:

Especially the ones telling JSO that as perpetrators they have endangered people's lives.

Of course this incident did endanger lives and road traffic in general is the perpetrator.

Back
Top Bottom