Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

This is truly shocking and prob not very fitting for this thread. But as a society we seem to be happy to ignore or make excuses for these accidents or worse, treat them as outliers that we can’t do anything about. Truth is it’s a choice we’re making not to tackle this seriously.

Try and do something to make our neighbourhoods safer & nicer and get called woke, middle class, the Taliban… or part of some global conspiracy 😮‍💨

This is a cone telling people not to park outside of the marked parking bays in a school carpark because parking there obstructs access for emergency vehicles (and coaches to take kids on school trips). In case you can't tell it's been repeatedly run over by people who insist on parking there anyway. There is alternative parking about 200 yards away.

PXL_20221028_080231388.jpg

If you think this thread represents the world I suggest speaking to some verified motorists and their families. You might also try showing them some examples from this thread of what you suppose to be propaganda, and see how influenced they are with respect to your stated long term agenda of eliminating the private car from the planet forever.
What are "verified motorists"?

Japan seem to do ok with parking, I know that most car-abolitionists on this thread have already praised Tokyo for it's car policies. Maybe London could learn a thing or two.

Japan seem to do ok with parking, I know that most car-abolitionists on this thread have already praised Tokyo for it's car policies. Maybe London could learn a thing or two.

Yes it could; I have already said this.

Get cars off the public street and make it their owners' problem working out where to put it. They would need to apply for planning permission before building any additional car storage structures, or paved parking areas, of course, and that planning permission should be refused where appropriate.

People who actually drive regularly, rather than simply attempt to drive occasionally or claim to drive without actually doing so such as you, edcraw and beesonthewhatnow.
Please can you clarify why it is important for me to speak to this category of special and precious people?

Please can you clarify why it is important for me to speak to this category of special and precious people?

Propagandise without knowing your target audience if you want to, but don’t expect it to be effective. And these people are your target audience because they’re the ones making the change you seek politically impossible.

Phone use seems to be in the increase, I see so many daily - just crazy. Such selfish behaviour.

Going for my morning walk daily before work, I've noticed this. But, what really shocked me this week, was that after all the campaigns about phones distracting those at the wheel, I went past a Tesla and the driver was staring at a fucking ipad of a screen, apparently this is 'a thing' :rolleyes:

Car being used as weapon. Again.

Let's see how this is treated in court - and whether it's considered as equivalent to trying to kill someone with a different kind of weapon like a gun or a knife.

Perhaps the driver just suffered a moment of understandable rage whilst weilding a lethal weapon - something that could happen to any of us.

I don’t understand how that isn’t single-blow GBH on the below scale

1667022853772.png

What acts and injuries are deemed as GBH?​

If violence is inflicted with a weapon or the equivalent of a weapon, then the act is likely to be classified as inflicting grievous bodily harm intentionally (section 18).

Weapon equivalents are objects, items or parts of the body that are not themselves weapons but can be a weapon when used intentionally

Car being used as weapon. Again.

Let's see how this is treated in court - and whether it's considered as equivalent to trying to kill someone with a different kind of weapon like a gun or a knife.

Perhaps the driver just suffered a moment of understandable rage whilst weilding a lethal weapon - something that could happen to any of us.

A terrible incident and the driver should be duly punished.

I’m not sure what it has to do with the existence of cars though. People used to drive at and run down and kill other people by horse, or horse and cart. In fact I’d say the chances of surviving such a hit are lower than those of surviving a hit by a car, as the latter are at least designed to take pedestrian safety into account to some degree.

“Samuel Lee, of the Parish of St. James Clarkenwell, was indicted for that he on 22th. of March last [1686], did assault the Body of Thomas Powel on the King's highway, riding over him with his Horse, beating him down and bruising him on his head, on which bruise, March the 25th. he dyed: It appeared that the deceas'd Powel walking in a Footpath, meeting the Prisoner as he was riding at a [Text unreadable in original.] was by the force of his horse beat to the Ground, and bruised by the hinder Feet of the said horse; after which time, till the day of his death, he never spake word; and the Chirurgeons deposed that they did verily believe the wounds he received by the horse, occasioned his death; the Prisoner's defence was, that it was late at Night and he could not see him; but the Prosecutor objecting he was out of the horse road which was looked upon as a great aggravation to his crime, only he pretended: he was over ruled by his horse which was very head-strong; he was thereupon brought in Guilty of Manslaughter.”

I’m not sure what it has to do with the existence of cars though. People used to drive at and run down and kill other people by horse, or horse and cart. In fact I’d say the chances of surviving such a hit are lower than those of surviving a hit by a car, as the latter are at least designed to take pedestrian safety into account to some degree.

“Samuel Lee, of the Parish of St. James Clarkenwell, was indicted for that he on 22th. of March last [1686], did assault the Body of Thomas Powel on the King's highway, riding over him with his Horse, beating him down and bruising him on his head, on which bruise, March the 25th. he dyed: It appeared that the deceas'd Powel walking in a Footpath, meeting the Prisoner as he was riding at a [Text unreadable in original.] was by the force of his horse beat to the Ground, and bruised by the hinder Feet of the said horse; after which time, till the day of his death, he never spake word; and the Chirurgeons deposed that they did verily believe the wounds he received by the horse, occasioned his death; the Prisoner's defence was, that it was late at Night and he could not see him; but the Prosecutor objecting he was out of the horse road which was looked upon as a great aggravation to his crime, only he pretended: he was over ruled by his horse which was very head-strong; he was thereupon brought in Guilty of Manslaughter.”

Well thank goodness for bicycles then.

This is like the argument against banning guns - “Well you could kill someone with a cricket bat!” 🙄

This is like the argument against banning guns - “Well you could kill someone with a cricket bat!” 🙄
No it isn’t. It’s like arguing that hammers should be banned because someone killed a person with one.

The argument has no merit.

No it isn’t. It’s like arguing that hammers should be banned because someone killed a person with one.

The argument has no merit.
How is @platinumsage’s argument like that?

Okay do you mean someone’s imaginary argument you’ve just made up?

How do you think I got large PA systems to venues for nearly 20 years you fucking clown :facepalm:
I mean he is an idiot - “verified drivers” 😆

I’ve been driving for 25 years - reckon it’s a ploy to get me to post my license so he can stalk me. Certainly seems to have a weird obsession for us all on this thread.

How do you think I got large PA systems to venues for nearly 20 years you fucking clown :facepalm:

Oh, so you are a keen motorist despite your earlier protestation that you only blat down the M5 on holiday occasionally in your highly damaged death trap.

I’ve been driving for 25 years - reckon it’s a ploy to get me to post my license so he can stalk me. Certainly seems to have a weird obsession for us all on this thread.

Another keen motorist, if you're to be believed. :hmm:

I assume you've both undertaken further driver training and/or assessment since your L test? Surely anyone who thinks drivers are a dangerous liability would ensure that they receive more than the most basic level of one-off training several decades ago.

What did you both learn from this additional training and/or assessment with respect to road safety?

Oh, so you are a keen motorist despite your earlier protestation that you only blat down the M5 on holiday occasionally in your highly damaged death trap.

Another keen motorist, if you're to be believed. :hmm:

I assume you've both undertaken further driver training and/or assessment since your L test? Surely anyone who thinks drivers are a dangerous liability would ensure that they receive more than the most basic level of one-off training several decades ago.

What did you both learn from this additional training and/or assessment with respect to road safety?
Defiantly not a keen motorist - sounds a bit Jeremy Clarkson - I drive rarely when necessary and don’t build my life around it.

Best way to reduce risk is to limit the activity by finding alternatives - what are you doing to reduce your amount of driving.

Defiantly not a keen motorist - sounds a bit Jeremy Clarkson - I drive rarely when necessary and don’t build my life around it.

Best way to reduce risk is to limit the activity - what are you doing to reduce your amount of driving.

So no training or assessment in 25 years and you drive infrequntly so you lack experience too. Why not give up entirely?

Pretty much have - again, what have you done to reduce your driving?

You haven't though - you drive rarely by your own admission and so are inexperinced, and without training since your L test are likely far more of a danger than most drivers per mile. Even if I drove a hundred times further than you per year I'd probably be less of a risk - and you're the one who keeps complaining about cars being underutilized assets sitting doing nothing most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom