Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Not sure what vague point you’re trying to make but pretty low tbh.

Are we at the "posting about a recent death to make a point" stage again?

We have access to all the necessary detailed death statistics for various things, together with case studies of prosecutions and court cases that have actually been completed, so I'm not sure that there is much to be gained by discussing cases that are still under investigation.

Are we at the "posting about a recent death to make a point" stage again?

We have access to all the necessary detailed death statistics for various things, together with case studies of prosecutions and court cases that have actually been completed, so I'm not sure that there is much to be gained by discussing cases that are still under investigation.
We don’t need to wait and see what the cause was - cars are inherently dangerous and we’re doing nothing to deal with it. If you do have access to all the necessary statistics and your takeaway is that it’s all okay then ➡️

We don’t need to wait and see what the cause was - cars are inherently dangerous and we’re doing nothing to deal with it. If you do have access to all the necessary statistics and your takeaway is that it’s all okay then ➡️
It's all fine. Thousands of dead kids are a small price to pay for convenience.

Lots of things are inherently dangerous - guns, organic lettuce, swimming pools, peanuts, bicycles.

Do you think we should ban them all or only those ones you don't use yourself?

So what I've taken from the posts since I asked the question is that we shouldn't have cars, unless you can find a justifiable reason enough to say you need a car, but the goalposts for car ownership being acceptable also change according to who you ask and what mood they're in.

Okay - we should have speed limiters, weight and size restrictions, lifetime driving bans & stop building housing where cars are a necessity and have huge investment in rural cycle routes amongst other things.

The fact living in most parts of the country means you need to spend a small fortune just to get around is a social injustice and a sign of how Tory our rural areas are.

We won’t do any of this cos the Daily Mail runs the country.

Okay - we should have speed limiters, weight and size restrictions, lifetime driving bans & stop building housing where cars are a necessity and have huge investment in rural cycle routes amongst other things.

We already have all those things. As to whether cars are ever a necessity, I find it interesting that you now seem to be saying that they are. It's not my view but we are all entitled to our opinions.

The fact living in most parts of the country means you need to spend a small fortune just to get around is a social injustice and a sign of how Tory our rural areas are.

We won’t do any of this cos the Daily Mail runs the country.

If you think the Tories and the Daily Mail are the primary barriers to stopping people in parts of the country having to spend a small fortune to get around then you haven't actually looked at this in any kind of detail.

Massive Tory

Where’s this massive investment in rural cycle routes? Where’s speed limiters on cars? Weight and size restrictions need to be a lot lower and lifetime driving bans common place.

Where’s this massive investment in rural cycle routes? Where’s speed limiters on cars? Weight and size restrictions need to be a lot lower and lifetime driving bans common place.

Here for example, although I haven't seen any stats on any reduction in car use it might have caused yet. Speed limiters are fitted to most cars, see page 217 here for example.

Can't say I agree with reducing weight and size restrictions, seems hard to justify. Lifetime bans perhaps, but I think more shorter bans would be more effective in improving safety.

So what I've taken from the posts since I asked the question is that we shouldn't have cars, unless you can find a justifiable reason enough to say you need a car, but the goalposts for car ownership being acceptable also change according to who you ask and what mood they're in.
If you ask a vague and ill defined question like "at what point is it ok to own a car" then are you really surprised when the answer is basically "it depends"?

No doubt massive progress has been made on that since 2018 - massive progress to match the massive investment that I'm sure has been made.

No doubt massive progress has been made on that since 2018 - massive progress to match the massive investment that I'm sure has been made.

I can confirm that last year most of it was a mud bath!

Love that trying to improve a short existing crap route slightly some time in the future is a ‘massive’ investment!

It's mostly completed., the only part that isn't finished is being held up by environmental campaigners no less.
It so happens that I know that route a bit, haven't done it for maybe 3 or 4 years but it was miles off being any good for regular commuting when I last did. So what does "mostly completed" mean?

While it looks like a "better than nothing" scheme, it follows the familiar pattern which is to try and tack on a "cycle route" to mostly pedestrian infrastructure rather than making the slightest compromise to road infrastructure. So as not to annoy motorists, you instead annoy pedestrians and nature reserve volunteer groups and so on.

The paths from Thursley and Elsead across Royal Common and Rodborough Common have been laid to stop them being muddy and shitty. The paths from Godalming to Peasmarsh and down to the bridge at Shalford are in place. Bottleneck at the bridge in Shalford. Then there is the existing path in to Guildford from there that is causing problems, it is not suitable for walking or riding year round, to make it so they want to chop down a number of trees and that’s where the opposition is coming from. Doesn’t bother me with a full sus mtb, but a solid path, away from traffic and mostly flat would take so many journeys off the roads, it’s just under 5 miles from Godalming which is a distance that can easily be done by bike, but the road route is busy as hell and has a nasty couple of hills that will make you sweaty, so the greenway will be great once it is fully open. Odd that a car lover has been involved in this though, along with a defrocked Lib Dem wannabe MP…

99% of the paths are already bridleways, so open to cyclists, but in such a shocking state that it’s only mtbs that can use them.

The paths from Thursley and Elsead across Royal Common and Rodborough Common have been laid to stop them being muddy and shitty. The paths from Godalming to Peasmarsh and down to the bridge at Shalford are in place. Bottleneck at the bridge in Shalford. Then there is the existing path in to Guildford from there that is causing problems, it is not suitable for walking or riding year round, to make it so they want to chop down a number of trees and that’s where the opposition is coming from. Doesn’t bother me with a full sus mtb, but a solid path, away from traffic and mostly flat would take so many journeys off the roads, it’s just under 5 miles from Godalming which is a distance that can easily be done by bike, but the road route is busy as hell and has a nasty couple of hills that will make you sweaty, so the greenway will be great once it is fully open. Odd that a car lover has been involved in this though, along with a defrocked Lib Dem wannabe MP…

Sounds like the shipping forecast.

Thought I'd just put this here and do a high-five with other thread readers to get the weekend off to a good start.

Some twat put a scratch down the side of my Audi whilst it was parked up and buggered off (considering where the marks were it might have been a cyclist though I don't know) and it cost me £350 to have it fixed so £300 sounds about right.
I didn't go through my insurance since I would have had to find the first £125 and felt it wasn't worth losing a 'life' off my no claims discount for a couple of hundred notes.

Thought I'd just put this here and do a high-five with other thread readers to get the weekend off to a good start.
If people are leaving they’re possessions worth thousands just lying around in the road they’re asking for trouble to be honest. Serves them right.

For once, edcraw , we're in agreement :thumbs:

4770392109_6057dde1f2_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom