Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

what about what about what about what about

Just maybe if you get ride of the vast majority of private cars there's plenty of room left for the vanishingly small number of people that may have a genuine need?
But you said there would be no need for private vehicles yet clearly there are.

Except this 'bus' can go to multiple destinations at the same time.

Yeah, another reason why it doesn't really solve any of the issues with cars. If they all break off to park at work places separately and in Athos idea, make twice as many trips between workplace and homes, with all the obvious problems and wastage that implies

Yeah, another reason why it doesn't really solve any of the issues with cars. If they all break off to park at work places separately and in Athos idea, make twice as many trips between workplace and homes, with all the obvious problems and wastage that implies

If they can run on, say, solar, then that becomes less of a problem.

I can't help but think that people are so wedded to having their own cars that a solution which allows for that is more likely to suceed than one that is predicated on the elimination of the private car, because car companies will invest (as there'd be a return), and there'd be far more chance of popular and political will.

Communal pushbikes, though. They are light and cheap enough that you could pretty easily leave them within walking distance of a great many people.
They have tried that in some places and the bikes end up getting trashed. :(

Eh? Do the dozens of successful cycle hire schemes not count as communal pushbikes? :confused:

Car share schemes really need encouraging too. London at least helps by having some parking spaces just for car clubs, but a lot of people don't join because they're really expensive. They might well need to be expensive to cover costs, though, so the govt could help out there with subsidies like they give train companies.

For most trips, yes they kinda do :)

Keep the nice carbon race bike for the weekend club runs, perfect :)

The gotcha moment you think is coming doesn’t work by the way.
Bees' Cars for getting to work. Keep the hydrocarbons and carbon for the weekend.
See, we can probably reach a middle ground here.

But you said there would be no need for private vehicles yet clearly there are.

I think you're under the mistaken impression that people who want to overhaul the transport system are dogmatically attached to one system or another. These things will take decades to fully develop, will involve trial and error, extensive testing and technologies that are still in their infancy (and I imagine technologies we just haven't imagined yet). The goals are: Make the roads safer, eliminate as much pollution as possible, get people from A to B as efficiently as possible. How you get to those points is going to be debatable. Getting rid of as much private vehicle ownership as possible is one factor in that; it's probably an important one, but there are many, many other things to consider. No one who cares about these things is going to give a solitary fuck that there will have to be compromises along the way.

I think you're under the mistaken impression that people who want to overhaul the transport system are dogmatically attached to one system or another.

Teucher is dogmatically attached to one system. His aim isn't just to overhaul the transport system (of which reducing private car use might be a part); he has an admitted "long term agenda of eliminating the private car from the planet forever".

If they can run on, say, solar, then that becomes less of a problem.

I can't help but think that people are so wedded to having their own cars that a solution which allows for that is more likely to suceed than one that is predicated on the elimination of the private car, because car companies will invest (as there'd be a return), and there'd be far more chance of popular and political will.

Come on man, it's rediclously wasteful to have empty cars returning from workplaces. From a traffic level PoV, wear and tare. The energy wastage would hardly be negledable either. It takes a lot of juice to move steal boxes around. I think hydrogen would be a better bet in the medium term anyway. With a Cars as a Service Model, they could algorithmically pick the best route to serve someone's journey so they pick someone else up on the way back.

This looks nice :)

emove_gif.gif

Teucher is dogmatically attached to one system. His aim isn't just to overhaul the transport system (of which reducing private car use might be a part); he has an admitted "long term agenda of eliminating the private car from the planet forever".

Er... in that specific case... no comment... :D

Death by drone may become a thing in that scenario - imagine a drone falling onto you trying to lug a 15kg Amazon hamper box full of cans of beer.

Noise pollution would also be insane by drones - think of how many drones would be wizzing around carrying single parcels compared to vans that contain hundreds.
I think you should be more concerned by being replaced by a more efficient drone with better politics tbh.

I don't understand how anybody who drives isn't already convinced of the need to reduce or eliminate car reliance tbh, having to battle across a roundabout or spend half an hour trying to find somewhere to park, and there is nothing shitter than being stuck in traffic. Its bollocks. Too many fucking cars everywhere

I don't understand how anybody who drives isn't already convinced of the need to reduce or eliminate car reliance tbh, having to battle across a roundabout or spend half an hour trying to find somewhere to park, and there is nothing shitter than being stuck in traffic.
Probably because most of the time it's absolutely nothing like that and even on the occasions when it is you're sat there in big comfortable seats and air conditioning, listening to tunes or a book, doing a bit of work or catching up with mates in other countries. I like being sat in the car chilling out. To listen to you lot anyone would think British roads are gridlocked 24/7 and only 3 parking spaces exist. It's pure fantasy, and I'm in Central London!

Last edited:
Mexico City has terrible pollution from cars. I t noticeably improved when I was living there as they a) had a rota for which license plates could drive on which days b) had regular car free days when manor highways were opened up only for cyclists and runners etc. and c) were desperately working on improving public transport infrastructure.

I didn't know many people in Milan who owned cars. Not in the centre anyway. There was no parking and it was quicker, easier and cheaper to use the excellent public transport or walk or scooter everywhere.

You're a little fluid - shall we say - with your Mexican stats slipping easily from country wide to "Greater Mexico City" (perhaps overlay population growth with car growth there andd see what happens?) and then to Mexico City (the Distrito Federal) itself. Three very different entities.

Note also that both Milan and DF have geographical factors that really exacerbate their pollution. It was this high pollution that forced DF into action. Milan I believe is taking more steps now.

Of course, they're not "poster children" for a car-free city. They're examples of places where the continued James May mentality as shown by some on here has literally ground to a halt.
Sorry about any fluid facts. Never been to mexico city. Aware of contributing geography, though. Found a couple of articles you might get more out of than me; the one with most of the figures: Number of vehicles in 12 Mexico City municipalities has soared 600% since 2000
And:

...but i still se no signs of motorization slowing down globally and no signs of anything else than stagnation in the west. I might be more pessimistic than most on the thread, i seriously doubt that our society can adapt fast enough, i think change will be forced upon us, which might not be bad in itself. But the sort of change i want springs from the people and its collective action, and i see very little of that. We are weak and sundered, which leaves room for strong leaders to enforce the bans 'we need' whether we want them or not...

Probably because most of the time it's absolutely nothing like that and even on the occasions when it is you're sat there in big comfortable seats and air conditioning, listening to tunes or a book, doing a bit of work or catching up with mates in other countries. I like being sat in the car chilling out. To listen to you lot anyone would think British roads are gridlocked 24/7 and only 3 parking spaces exist. It's pure fantasy, and I'm in Central London!

Presumably you just go for sunday drives with leather gloves on and the power of love blasting out, cos driving round anywhere outside of the country at peak hours is a fucking irritating crawl surrounded by dickheads. As for enjoying being sat in traffic just cos you've got leather seats and aircon, well I'd wager more people hate it than get some weird pleasure from it like you but it's subjective I suppose. For me I'd rather be doing something productive or spending time with my family but different folks different strokes

Presumably you just go for sunday drives with leather gloves on and the power of love blasting out, cos driving round anywhere outside of the country at peak hours is a fucking irritating crawl surrounded by dickheads.
Er, no. You just haven't got a clue what's genuinely going on.
For me I'd rather be doing something productive or spending time with my family but different folks different strokes

I do that too though.

Back
Top Bottom