Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

teuchter

je suis teuchter
Been meaning for a little while to start a thread to collect links and info relating to my long term agenda of eliminating the private car from the planet forever.

There are some encouraging signs that there might even be slightly more appetite for this post covid - we will see - so now seems a good time to start.

To kick us off, here is a video that I didn't make (honest) but covers most of the main points for those unfamiliar with the arguments.

Ok. Good idea. But how do I get to work, go shopping without a car? There’s no public transport here. The nearest supermarket is only a 15 minute walk, but I’d need to shop most days. Mrs Dess has developed arthritis in her hand so she can’t carry much. I can’t do that if I am at work too. My only option is a once a week big shop. That means using the car to transport everything. Supermarkets don’t do online here.

Work is a 45 minute drive away. How do I get there without a car? Just to remind you, there’s no public transport here.

I could move closer to work, but then my wife would have the drive. Or we could both work in the same town. But there isn’t enough work for both of us in either town.

Move somewhere else? Possibly, but who’s going cover the costs? Because of the lockdown we can’t afford to move somewhere else at the moment.

I welcome your suggestions.

Been meaning for a little while to start a thread to collect links and info relating to my long term agenda of eliminating the private car from the planet forever.

There are some encouraging signs that there might even be slightly more appetite for this post covid - we will see - so now seems a good time to start.

To kick us off, here is a video that I didn't make (honest) but covers most of the main points for those unfamiliar with the arguments.

Banning the private car, I note, but not the hired car, the taxi or minicab

Ok. Good idea. But how do I get to work, go shopping without a car? There’s no public transport here. The nearest supermarket is only a 15 minute walk, but I’d need to shop most days. Mrs Dess has developed arthritis in her hand so she can’t carry much. I can’t do that if I am at work too. My only option is a once a week big shop. That means using the car to transport everything. Supermarkets don’t do online here.

Work is a 45 minute drive away. How do I get there without a car? Just to remind you, there’s no public transport here.

I could move closer to work, but then my wife would have the drive. Or we could both work in the same town. But there isn’t enough work for both of us in either town.

Move somewhere else? Possibly, but who’s going cover the costs? Because of the lockdown we can’t afford to move somewhere else at the moment.

I've answered these questions a zillion times on other threads, and don't have time to go through it all again just now. I intend to use this thread mainly as a repository for information.

The concise answer is that the aim is a reduction in car dependency. Of course you can't just ban cars and do nothing to change the infrastructure. You also can't change the infrastructure without banning cars. The two have to happen in parallel. We start with big cities and work outwards. In cities it's easy in practical terms (although more difficult politically) and proven. In rural areas it is less easy but in opinion not impossible. But like I say you start in cities which is where the majority of people now live. You provide good public transport so that people can get to places easily without their own transport. You provide more facilities locally, like shops that are in walking distance. You make systems for home delivery efficient. Widespread private car ownership directly makes these changes harder to implement.

The most efficient form of transport in rural areas is surely car ownership, perhaps with car hire for those who travel infrequently with taxis as an alternative. Buses every ten minutes from every village to everywhere else are inevitably going to be almost entirely empty most of the time due to the low population density.

The most efficient form of transport in rural areas is surely car ownership, perhaps with car hire for those who travel infrequently with taxis as an alternative. Buses every ten minutes from every village to everywhere else are inevitably going to be almost entirely empty most of the time due to the low population density.

Autonomous driving for Electric Vehicles will help solve that - an app summons the car (or minibus or whatever) which means fewer people again need cars.

Praise those without the wherewithal to learn to drive and buy a car, the more wallys they persuade to scale back their lives to the standards of Victorian peasants the more the roads will be nice and empty as they currently are, plus the skies are so much freer of pollution right now so there’s no reason not to go for that 5ltr AMG Mercedes :thumbs:

We start with big cities and work outwards. In cities it's easy in practical terms (although more difficult politically) and proven. In rural areas it is less easy but in opinion not impossible. But like I say you start in cities which is where the majority of people now live. You provide good public transport so that people can get to places easily without their own transport. You provide more facilities locally, like shops that are in walking distance.
I'd like to see someone pick up a couple of chipboard flooring sheets and take it home by bus or tube. :eek:

As expected, this thread generates the usual parade of idiot objections.
People do DIY. You need to get hold of the materials somehow. Most people who do DIY do it because they can't afford to pay someone to come in and do it so may find it prohibitive to pay the stupid delivery charges most DIY stores charge.

I'll think you will find that i posed a question. One that nobody answered.
Why should i think they support my position when they have not actually said that they do?

hth:)

See posts #2, 6, 8, 11 and 14 - all giving partial solutions towards building the infrastructure.

Back
Top Bottom