Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v Croatia 13.06.21 2pm ko

I'm almost bored of hearing about 1996. I was a bit young at the time though so only vaguely remember it. 1998 being the first one I really remember being fully embroiled in.

I'm almost bored of hearing about 1996. I was a bit young at the time though so only vaguely remember it. 1998 being the first one I really remember being fully embroiled in.
On reflection, I had quite a weird introduction to supporting England.

The first World Cup I paid attention to was '94, which we didn't even qualify for, but then that was followed by the complete 180 of Euro '96, which was my first experience following England at a tournament, at the age of 11 - that shit sticks with you :eek:

'98 was pretty good, mind.

1982 was the first international tournament I really sat down (with Subbuteo as well) and watched enough to understand what was going on :D

Mexico was the first to blow my mind :cool: we knew so little about global football/players back then and it was really exciting for little me

In my mind/memory Italia 90 was an amazing tournament but I rewatched a lot of it over Lockdown and found it a bit meh.

Last edited:
Sterling? :hmm: He'll be replaced by Rashford after 75 minutes who'll be equally ineffective. I WROTE THAT TO BE PROVED WRONG! :mad:

I do wonder what else Luke Shaw could have done this season. Suspect he'd have been in a few people's Team of the Premiership.

On reflection, I had quite a weird introduction to supporting England.

The first World Cup I paid attention to was '94, which we didn't even qualify for, but then that was followed by the complete 180 of Euro '96, which was my first experience following England at a tournament, at the age of 11 - that shit sticks with you :eek:

'98 was pretty good, mind.
Oh, fucking hell; sorry, I'm sure this has already been covered and I've no doubt had the realisation before (hurrah, ADHD!), but...

Southgate managing England at a Euros where (almost?) all our games are at Wembley. #narrative, etc.

Mexico was the first to blow my mind :cool: we knew so little about global football/players back then and it was really exciting for little me
Although obviously overall I absolutely love how much access we have to the game globally these days, it has meant the loss of that sense of mystery and discovery which added just that little bit extra feeling of 'special' to international tournaments.

Ah well, can't have everything.

Mate is not happy with Southgate's selection :D

Trippier at LB?
7m

Next to Mings?
7m

Good thing Croatia don’t have a decent right winger that we really need to keep control of
7m

If he had a confident CB next to him I might feel differently
5m

But Mings next to an improvised LB is madness
4m

Also Sterling over Sancho is annoying
4m

Sancho isn’t even on the bench
3m

Although obviously overall I absolutely love how much access we have to the game globally these days, it has meant the loss of that sense of mystery and discovery which added just that little bit extra feeling of 'special' to international tournaments.

Ah well, can't have everything.
Seeing some of the overseas players for the first time was magical. There will be young 'breakthrough' players and some surprise campaigns/performances.

Still, I remember wanting to play like Toto
Schillaci :D

I do think (talking of experience) that if Maguire, Henderson and Kane were all fit and the 'spine' of the team it would have given the whole team stability.

Henderson was a dick about the penalty :rolleyes: but there was a really noticeable change in the team when he came on.

Oh good, Rio articulating what many England fans are thinking, Stones and Mings is the weakest part of our team. CB partnership not really where you want your weakest point to be...

I do think (talking of experience) that if Maguire, Henderson and Kane were all fit and the 'spine' of the team it would have given the whole team stability.

Henderson was a dick about the penalty :rolleyes: but there was a really noticeable change in the team when he came on.
Yeah, would arguably inspire more confidence, certainly.

Back
Top Bottom