Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Egypt anti-government protests grow

Vests, scopes and protocols should hardly impact on the 'respectability' of killing protesters, nor do I understand how a more professional form of sniping should erect a barrier between the murderer and the idea of killing in cold blood. If anything it only emphasises the horror of the acts committed, just as terms such as targeted killings, surgical strikes and collateral damage take on a horror of their own rather than cleanse the bloody hands of the state.

This does seem to be true, what with the bloke from Sky.

^Shoot the people with cameras, there will be less evidence."

Though contrary to that supposed belief it has caused more publicity. Maybe they just don't care.

Continuation of policy, Mubarak in his final days in charge was calling Journalists fifth columnists and foreign spies

Vests, scopes and protocols should hardly impact on the 'respectability' of killing protesters, nor do I understand how a more professional form of sniping should erect a barrier between the murderer and the idea of killing in cold blood. If anything it only emphasises the horror of the acts committed, just as terms such as targeted killings, surgical strikes and collateral damage take on a horror of their own rather than cleanse the bloody hands of the state.

yet everyday the state veneers such acts with such language

I think it is more of a mentality than a policy inasmuch as they seem to believe some of the shit they come out with, or if not believe, appear to think it is the right thing to be said to attempt to play well on the international stage.

E2A with particular regard with the statements they come out with in support of the actions that were carried out by the police and army plus unknown (not in uniform) 'others'.

Well imo the people who consider themselves the 'ruling class' or the 'elite'. Sometimes in this instance recently referred to as the 'deep state'.

That's not really who you think were behind mubark then the post january settlement and now this is is? Please don't tell me you're like that. How about recognising that armed power acts in remarkably similar ways when challenged. Better start point? That's the continuity here.

The police ...the mobs that he incited to chase and beat up journalists trying to preserve the regime that now I would suggest are the same people who are the most vociferous cheerleaders of the crackdown.Interior ministry apparatchiks, anti semites ect

That'sstructure really who you think were behind mubark then the post january settlement and now this is is? Please don't tell me you're like that. How about recognising that armed power acts in remarkably similar ways when challenged. Better start point? That's the continuity here.
I agree but
There was though a real sense though that the power and structure of the interior ministry was ever really challenged broken up or even called to account during the post mubarak era.its one of the main points of the third square movement

The same cops butchers thats the continuation of policy.same cops on duty on
Jan 11 on duty in august 13.only difference being who rubber stamps the orders and who cheers them on.

In what way is that the same as saying that the interior ministry imposed itself this week and has been doing so for three years? I can scarcely believe that - 250 pages in - that i am reading this crude stuff.

This is a result of intra-sate competition
I agree but
There was though a real sense though that the power and structure of the interior ministry was ever really challenged broken up or even called to account during the post mubarak era.its one of the main points of the third square movement

By who? Given there's continuity here, Who failed to break it up.

Butchers I was saying that the policy of targeting journalists was one used by mubaraks regime. Given that apart from a few token low ranking so called bad apples being held to account the same force and tactics that were used by the same people holding roughly the same rank and didnt mubaraks former interior cheif hold a prominant portfolio in morsis regime effectivly stonewalling reform, not that that was on MB agenda.
Not sure why you are finding that contentious tho

You cant see the way both Mubarak and Morsi promoted the same anti semitic and anti coptic conspiracy theories to further their own agendas? Or how boths sets of followers have responded to their ousting of thier man with attacks on minorities. You are usually quite astute on that kind of thing

One more on that security vehicle that fell off the bridge. I go on about this partly because of dramatic imagery, but also because some tried to make propaganda use of it by claiming the MB pushed it off the bridge.

Can finally see for sure what happened:

WASHINGTON — An Egyptian newspaper published an interview on Thursday with a man presented as a Republican U.S. Senator who is in reality not in Congress at all, but instead a hairstylist from Palm Beach who now runs a political consulting firm.

The Egypt Independent’s piece with the headline “Firm action against terror must be taken, Republican senator says,” features one Maurice Bonamigo, who is identified as the senator in question. In the interview, Bonamigo comes out strongly in favor of the Egyptian military’s violence against civilians, saying “Peaceful means are important, but in Egypt these days, where terrorist groups carry out acts of violence, firm action must be taken.”

But Bonamigo is not a senator, or a member of Congress at all. He is listed as a cast member in Gay Republicans, a documentary from 2004 about gay people supporting George W. Bush, and is identified as a hairdresser based in Palm Beach, Florida.

Bonamigo also runs a political consulting firm, Maurice Bonamigo & Associates, with associates in Egypt, the Congo, and Nigeria. The company has an address in Chicago.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/meet-maurice-bonamigo-us-senate-impostor

[/quote]
Reminiscent of Tianamem square incident where an APC grounded itself driving into barriers set up near protestors

butchersapron Well no it never really went away, and the U.S. was always there anyway. Have you noticed the profound silence concerning military aid?

The closest they have come to suspending the $1.3 Billion in military aid is cancelling a joint military exercise.
"our traditional operations can not be continued as usual as people are being killed in the streets.”
way to go Obama you big bam.

Continuation Of Policy?
http://www.freedomhouse.org/blog/two-years-after-mubarak’s-fall-torture-and-denial-continue-unabated-morsi’s-egypt

The real tragedy is not that these incidents occurred, but rather that the public seems unaware that many other Egyptians are subject to similar abuses every day. Rights groups report that at least 1,000 people have been detained over the past two weeks (of febuary 2013) of protests, including more than 140 minors, and at least six cases of torture in police stations have been documented in recent months.

http://www.freedomhouse.org/blog/pattern-abuses-continues-egypt-despite-leadership-changes

Human rights abuses increased during the interim rule of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), persisted under the elected government of President Mohamed Morsi, and have continued since the military-backed government of Adly Mansour took power on July 3.

In addition, harassment of journalists and opposition activists has been a common feature of all post-Mubarak governments, and impunity has remained the norm for officials responsible for the use of excessive force against Egyptian citizens.

Not sure how far the marches will get today. Army all over the place apparently and all entrances to Tahrir square have been blocked off as well.

As for yesterday, there were reports of officials refusing to release bodies unless causes of death such as 'suicide' were accepted by relatives, and then this is from the AlJazeera live blog.

A witness to the attack on Iman mosque last night tells me that there were lots of police surrounding the mosque, where bodies from Wednesday's crackdown on the sit-ins were being stored.
"They threw a lot of teargas ... some people ran, but some people didn't want to leave because the bodies of their family members were inside. Then police, wearing gasmasks, stormed the mosque and started tossing bodies out on the street. I saw one person get hit on the head with a teargas cannister and hit the ground, hard. His skull was fractured ... I think he's dead. I heard rounds of bullets ... they arrested a lot of people."

One more on that security vehicle that fell off the bridge. I go on about this partly because of dramatic imagery, but also because some tried to make propaganda use of it by claiming the MB pushed it off the bridge.

Can finally see for sure what happened:

Clearly didnt pass his driving test.

Latest via twitter is thousands at Ramsis sq. where the various marches are supposed to finish up, no security presence yet.

BRyUc6FCEAAS39e.jpg:large

Back
Top Bottom