Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Egypt anti-government protests grow

Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya, are denying involvement but its got their fingerprints all over it.More than 30 churches raised to the ground since the weekend

RE Continuation Of Policy? how about the way state institutions like Al-Azhar and Ministry of Religious Endowments increasingly took a hardline stance against the copts as they began to challenge Mubaraks authority.

State media and official religious establishments also contributed to the spread of religious hatred, and even the use of violence against non-Muslims. In 2009, the Ministry of Religious Endowments distributed a book, authored by one of Egypt’s leading Islamic intellectuals dubbed by many to be a moderate, that sanctioned the killing of non-Muslims, including Copts, and the confiscation of their property. The following year, Al-Azhar, the highest Islamic institution in Egypt, distributed a free booklet by the same author in its monthly magazine that considered non-Muslims, including Christians, to be infidels. After pressure from liberal intellectuals, Al-Azhar withdrew the issue the following month.

over 10 years of fighting a so called war on terror and america and its bitchs are supportin Al qaeda and the Muslim brotherhood in egypt and syria.Disgrace to all the soldiers that have died fighting this fucked up war.

And now a bunch of prisoners (from yesterdays mosque incident apparently) killed while being transported:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/08/2013818175824286257.html

At least 36 people Muslim Brotherhood supporters have been killed in Egypt while attempting to escape from a prison convoy.

The men were killed after taking a police officer hostage while being transferred to Abu Zaabal prison near Cairo on Sunday in a convoy of about 600 detainees, sources told Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera's Bernard Smith, reporting from Cairo, said that there were several conflicting reports of what had happened.

He said one version of events, given by the Egyptian MENA news agency, stated that the van transporting the men pulled over and was attacked by armed gunmen. The prisoners took a police officer hostage in an attempt to escape but were killed in a shootout.

However, Al Jazeera was told by a source that the prisoners staged a fight and then took a police officer hostage when the van pulled over. Other police then fired into the van, killing those inside.

I see plenty of Arab governments are backing the Egyptian authorities, with some variety in how much they join in with the war on terror bullshit and whether they bother to call for restraint and dialogue. Not surprising that Saudi Arabia and the UAE have been on the venomous massacre cheerleading side of things.

I haven't come across a full translation of el-Sisi's televised speech from today yet, but this extract is full of references to honour and honesty.

"We honest men, we are not supporting any malice, treachery, intrigue, or schemes. I remind you all, we do not betray or conspire. We are an honest patriotic intuition that dealt with absolute respect and honour for more than a year. The Egyptian people have their own free will, they choose whomsoever they will to rule them. Now, the army and police are the honest guardian to this will. The honour of safeguarding people will and freedom is much greater than the honour of ruling Egypt. I once said that the Egyptians are capable of making a difference in the world. Now, if the Egyptian are willing to make a difference in Egypt, they are capable; and they will."

over 10 years of fighting a so called war on terror and america and its bitchs are supportin Al qaeda and the Muslim brotherhood in egypt and syria.Disgrace to all the soldiers that have died fighting this fucked up war.
America has done virtually nothing in support of AQ in Syria except words against Assad. It is because AQ has become so prominent in the civil war that the US hasn't poured in aid to the rebs. Saudi & some European countries provide a trickle but it's pretty insignificant. The US also isn't supporting the MB. It's made bland statements for restraint & democracy......walking a fine line & not knowing quite what to do.

I see plenty of Arab governments are backing the Egyptian authorities, with some variety in how much they join in with the war on terror bullshit and whether they bother to call for restraint and dialogue. Not surprising that Saudi Arabia and the UAE have been on the venomous massacre cheerleading side of things.

I haven't come across a full translation of el-Sisi's televised speech from today yet, but this extract is full of references to honour and honesty.

"So let it be with Caesar ... The noble Brutus Hath told you Caesar was ambitious: If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answered it ... Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest, (For Brutus is an honourable man; So are they all; all honourable men) Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral ... He was my friend, faithful and just to me: But Brutus says he was ambitious; And Brutus is an honourable man."

Worth a read in its entirity,
http://muftah.org/state-authoritarianism-in-egypt-the-military-al-azhar-coptic-church-triad/

Religion in Egypt is an important part of everyday life and social relations. The Egyptian state is not, however, a religious (i.e. Islamic) state as the legal system is based primarily on the French civil code. The state does not adopt a dogmatic and legalistic interpretation of Islamic principles except in the realm of personal status matters, such as marriage, divorce, and inheritance, where the principles of shari’a apply.
This implies certain social restrictions, however, including the impossibility of marriage between a Christian man and a Muslim woman and the difficulty in inheriting assets from family members of different religions. This system also places certain restrictions on the inheritance rights of female children.
As a result, the private realm of the family is under state control in ways that ensure the piety of Egyptian society. Moreover, such control over the family realm turns confessional communities into the primary location of belonging and identity. It is, as such, no surprise that Al-Azhar and the Coptic Church are the two most important institutions helping the state to control the devotional nature of Egyptian society, which is first and foremost, embedded in the realm of the family.

The entrenched nature of this authoritarianism was reflected in recent opposition to Egypt’s new interim constitution by various religious institutions. The issues raised by these groups stemmed first and foremost from their anxiety about losing authority and political power in the country.
For instance, the Coptic Church criticized the removal of an article that was present in the now suspended constitution, which granted non-Muslim communities the right to apply their own canonical laws in personal status matters. Salafis also rejected the new declaration because it eliminated Al-Azhar’s role as a referee in matters relating to Islamic shari’ a.
At the moment, however, there are several ways to ensure that the authoritarian triad is not allowed to continue. The revolutionary youth who launched the Tamarod movement, which led to Morsi’s ouster, as well as the National Salvation Front (NSF), Egypt’s leading civil opposition group, are included in the transitional roadmap. These groups present the best opportunity for preventing the normalization of the triad’s power over Egyptian society.

Slowly but surely the popular movements and reformist minded individuals are being whittled away from Al-Sisi's coalition. Al Nour went after the first wave of bloodletting, Baradi after the third,until soon all that will be left is the Army,Al-Azhar Clerics and the Higher echelon of the Coptic church.Mindful of the terrible vengeance the brotherhood has wreaked upon them in their ousting and fearful of their return to power.The church will see its future if not its entire existence tied closely to that of the Generals as it has since 52.

What there is a real likelihood of happening is the reassertion of the Tripartite agreement will be presented as a victory for Secularisation whilst genuine reformist voices both muslim and christian will be effectively marginalised.

ElBaradei has apparently been nicked now, for resigning from the government.

:facepalm:

Sort of, anyone can file a criminal complaint in Egypt and since this is a misdemeanour charge it proceeds straight to sort rather than a judge first deciding whether to allow it to proceed.

And anyway it seems ElBaradei ran back to Vienna (where he normally resides when not pursuing political power in Egypt) after he resigned.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/08/201382013218872674.html

According to the complaint, ElBaradei's resignation gave the wrong impression to the international community, suggesting that the Egyptian government had used excessive force against protesters. "[This] contradicts reality," the complaint said.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/remnant...in-egypts-coptic-churches-20130820-2s7x7.html

“So from the Islamist standpoint, when you blame the military and in particular General Abdel Fateh al-Sisi for the overthrow of Mursi and everything else that has ensued ... the Copts are an easy adversary when the military is too powerful to confront.”
Also, Iskander says, Copts are relatively unprotected in Egypt.
“It is both a blessing and a curse – they live in every province and governorate, every community has Copts, they are in every area and they are part of a wide cross-section of Egyptian society but this means it is often very difficult to protect them from this kind of violence.”
Add to that, Christians have literally been written out of the public school curriculum, effectively extricating them from modern Egyptian identity and rendering their religion an unknown quantity for many Muslims, he says.
“Most Muslims know Copts who are their neighbours or their co-workers but they know very little about their religion, their rituals,” says Iskander, who has written a just-released book, Egypt in Flux: Essays on an Unfinished Revolution.
Mubarak convinced the Coptic community that the only way to exist safely in Egypt was have the protection of “secular” state, and “with that came authoritarianism”.
Deepening the isolation of many Coptic Egyptians was the stance of the former Pope Shenouda, who died in March last year, he says.
The pope monopolised every aspect of Coptic life, from politics to social services and leisure activities, corralling many believers within the strict confines of the church.
The end result, he says, is that Copts are “drastically and remarkably under-represented in political life and in almost every public vocation – arts, music, sports – they are practically invisible.”
A critical juncture in the political awakening of the Coptic community came in October 2011 with the incident that is now known as the Maspero Massacre.
Twenty-five people died and more than 320 were injured when a Coptic protest against the failure of the government to investigate an attack on a church was overrun.
Egyptian soldiers drove armoured personnel carriers into the crowds of protesters, dragging some under the wheels in scenes of terrible carnage.
To many it was the first time the military, traditionally seen as the protector of the Coptic community, had deserted them.
“It put the church in a very awkward position where they either had to come out and condemn the most powerful institution in Egypt – the military – or sit in silence,” Iskander says.
“The anger of the community could not be contained ... the Coptic masses were moving and the church was barely keeping up.”
The new leader, Pope Tawadros, is younger and more perceptive than his predecessor, Iskander says, in a comment echoed by many interviewed by Fairfax Media for this article.
Even though Pope Tawadros, along with Sheikh Ahmed el-Tayeb, the Grand Imam of Al Azhar, the most important Islamic institution in Egypt, publicly supported Sisi in his removal of Mursi from the presidency, he has in general taken a step back politically, he says.
“Practically every institution has had a head-on collision with the Brotherhood,” says Iskander, and in this case, Christians have paid dearly.

Turkey has been outspoken about the coup since the start, but that in itself didn't upset the US all that much, at least not enough to say anything about it publicly. However since Erdogan today decided to blame Israel, the US have spoken out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/20/us-turkey-egypt-israel-usa-idUSBRE97J0S820130820

"We strongly condemn the statements that were made by Prime Minister Erdogan today. Suggesting that Israel is somehow responsible for recent events in Egypt is offensive, unsubstantiated, and wrong," White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters in a briefing.

Earlier on Tuesday, Erdogan told provincial leaders of his AK Party: "What do they say in Egypt? Democracy is not the ballot box. What is behind it? Israel. We have in our hands documentation."

It's also worth pointing out that US frustration with Egypt has been shown more publicly of late. Both official statements from the likes of John Kerry and 'insider scoops' given to the press after the last round of violence, which are critical of the Egyptian government and military. As they continue to arrest top MB leaders the US has more reasons to maintain the criticism.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-21/us-criticises-arrest-of-brotherhood-leader-in-egypt/4901034

Egyptian television has reported Mr Badie, who was arrested yesterday, is to be held for 15 days on allegations of having incited the murder of protesters.

The White House says the move runs contrary to the military's commitments to foster an "inclusive political process".

White House spokesman Josh Earnest says the arrest is the "latest in a series of actions that the Egyptian government has taken that does not reflect their commitment to an inclusive political process".

"It certainly is an act that is contrary to a legal system that is insulated from politics," he said.

[Can i apologise for my posts to FNG and teqniq the other day - they didn't come out of malice but fast moving frustration. I'm sorry.]
No problems mate. Under normal circumstances Id of relished the opportunity to lock horns with you because I always know im going to have to up my game considerably.

There was an attempt, visible in some english chatter on twitter a few days ago, to start a campaign of people making noise at 9pm every night to demonstrate their rejection of both the MB, the coup and what has happened since. I've heard no more about it and have few reasons to seriously anticipate that it gains traction, but I thought I would mention it anyway. Hashtag for the campaign is #masmou3

I note that when presented with the theoretical prospect of US withdrawing military aid, PM Beblawi made a comment about surviving that could also be interpreted as a threat in the context of the great geopolitical game. Not that one is probably needed since the US will be acutely aware of their interests in keeping close to Egypt, and others like Saudi Arabia and the UAE are more than willing to further open their wallets.

A possible move by Washington to stop US weapons deliveries and other assistance to Egypt "will be a bad sign and will badly affect the military for some time," Beblawi told ABC News yesterday.

"Let's not forget that Egypt went with the Russian military for support and we survived. So, there is no end to life," he said. "You can live with different circumstances."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-PM-Hazem-el-Beblawi/articleshow/21947523.cms

In trying to ease international tensions he did use some slightly conciliatory language about the MB, but I note that he took the already silly claims about the number of people who protested against Morsi to an even sillier level:

The U.S. did not appreciate the will of the people," Beblawi said. "Don't forget 30 million took the street for freedom [to oust Morsi]. They have another idea of freedom and they took the street for freedom. They want Morsi out."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/egyptian-prime-minister-fear-civil-war/story?id=20012782

Also in that article is a reference to Mubarak being released and historical loyalties:

But while the Brotherhood was keen to keep Mubarak locked up, the current military-backed government may not block his release. Mubarak was part of the military and many of the current government's leaders also served under Mubarak. Gen. Sissi was Mubarak's head of intelligence and the interim president, Adly Mansour, was initially promoted by Mubarak.

"Mubarak is under the control of the legal system," Beblawi said. "Whatever the judge decides, we will accept the outcome. It's not whether I like it or not. I want everyone to have a fair chance at a trial."

Re eygpt entering the russian sphere
Its an interesting bit of brinkmanship given a lot of the officer class blame inferior soviet equipment on their defeat in the six day war. Under such circumstances I doubt the junta could rely on the loyalty of their subordinates and a counter coup might occur.

Well such circumstances are bloody unlikely to occur again anyway, with the US most likely to do as little in terms of cutting aid as it can get away with from a PR point of view.

From the AlJazeera blog:

Egypt's military ordered on Wednesday that Hosni Mubarak be placed under house arrest, as the ex-president appeared set for conditional release in mid-trial on murder and corruption charges, state media reported.

"In the framework of the emergency law, the deputy military ruler ordered Mubarak to be placed under house arrest," read a news flash on state television.

This Guardian piece isn't a bad reflection on the horrible nature of recent weeks. All the better for the author having been there and having become caught up in it himself at the mosque standoff the other day.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/20/egypts-cruellest-week-muslim-brotherhood

Since I have a thing about Tamarods public statements, I may as well quote this bit in particular:

Spurred on by a jingoistic and uninquiring media (some Egyptian television presenters cried with joy on air the day Morsi was overthrown) much of Egyptian society is convinced that the former president's supporters are wholly a terrorist force bent on making Egypt part of some wider Islamic state. "We are not against any protesters – but we are against terrorists. We have a war with terrorists," says Mohamed Khamis, a spokesman for Tamarod, the grassroots campaign that successfully encouraged millions to march against Morsi in June.

Khamis said he accompanied the police last Wednesday, when security forces murdered hundreds at two six-week-old pro-Morsi campsites. "We asked the police officers to shoot them with pistols and the police officers refused to shoot them," Khamis counter-claimed. "Really, that was what happened. So I am surprised people died. How come so many people died then? I think it was the Brotherhood who killed them – not the army or police."

I've ranted about Mohamed 'The General' Khamis before. I hope he gets his one day, his murderous bullshit tongue is beneath contempt.

Sometimes I wish I could find out more about the background of Mohamed Khamis, beyond what I've posted on this thread in recent weeks.

There was one entry from his Observer 'diary of the week Morsi fell' thing that gave a bit of a clue:

After [General Abdel Fatah al-] Sisi made his 48-hour ultimatum, we had a meeting straight afterwards. I was worried because I thought it might be an attempt by the army to ride the wave, and to take an advantage from the situation – and to take power for themselves. But I also thought that if there was a coup, then Sisi would himself face a backlash within the military itself. I've studied in military college, and a lot of my former colleagues assured me in recent weeks that they would support us.

From http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/06/egypt-army-took-orders-from-us

Well such circumstances are bloody unlikely to occur again anyway, with the US most likely to do as little in terms of cutting aid as it can get away with from a PR point of view.

indeed. If they wanted to apply actual leverage they would suspend helicoptor replacement and spares.the f18s are a massive white elephant in the ongoing situation.

Sometimes I wish I could find out more about the background of Mohamed Khamis, beyond what I've posted on this thread in recent weeks.

There was one entry from his Observer 'diary of the week Morsi fell' thing that gave a bit of a clue:

From http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/06/egypt-army-took-orders-from-us

not that unsurprising really given most Egyptians have some sort of military background. Interesting use of the word studied rather than graduated though.he comes across as the George Zimmerman of Egyptian politics

someone upthread mentioned the military going after the strikers next, was overshadowed by the events of last week but they began arresting the leaders of the striking steelworkers union just prior to last fridays masacre.

Nearly a month and a half has passed since the fall of Mohamed Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood from power, thanks to the action of the masses who did not feel any difference between the policies of the Brotherhood and those of Mubarak. Both opposed the masses and their demands for bread, freedom and social justice. Despite the downfall of Mubarak, Tantawi and Morsi in successive revolutionary waves beginning on 25 January and finishing on 30 June, Minister of Defence General Abd-al-Fattah al-Sisi, President Adli Mansour and Prime Minister Hazem Beblawi have not learnt their lesson. Instead, they divert the masses and make the “war on terrorism” a pretext for dropping demands for social justice during the transitional period.
Striking workers have been in the front ranks of the struggle by the masses since the strike in Mahalla in 2006. It was they who threw down Mubarak, and after him Tantawi and Morsi who saw during his period in office the largest proportion of workers’ strikes to demand their rights. Yet the new government of Mansour and Beblawi is dealing with strikers with the same repressive policies, and today arrested two of the leaders of the Suez Steel workers’ strike (Amr Yusif and Abd-al-Ra’uf, with the knowledge of the police, while the armed forces surrounded the factory.

http://menasolidaritynetwork.com/20...idarity-after-steel-workers-arrested-by-army/
http://www.tlaxcala-int.org/article.asp?reference=10346

Back
Top Bottom