Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Egypt anti-government protests grow

Egypt army flew multiple sorties over Sinai over weekend using Apache attack helicopters. Not sure what the Camp David Accord details are regarding helicopters, but they played a much more peripheral role at the time it was drafted. IIRC Saddam Hussain used ambiguous wording in the Gulf war ceasefire agreement regarding no fly zones to use helicopters to quell the Basra insurgency.

And have a look at the conversation to establish that this is someone respected saying this:

Kristen Chick@kristenchick
Churches attacked in Fayoum, Minya, Delga, Sohag, Suez. Coptic homes/shops attacked in Assiut, Delga, Minya, says @ishakassaad

She's a CSM journalist, bit polly Filler try this one for size

Kristen Chick@kristenchick
11h
Is this the kind of curfew where restaurants don't even deliver? I'm starving.

Collapse

If there was any doubt at all about the indiscriminate killing by snipers of unarmed civillians, this footage shows a woman shot through the neck whilst doing nothing much but apparently filming events:

ANimer: This is disgusting, the amount of shooting, and the woman was just filming when she was snipped down! #Rabaa #Egypt
http://t.co/Swk6A7nhFv

If there was any doubt at all about the indiscriminate killing by snipers of unarmed civillians, this footage shows a woman shot through the neck whilst doing nothing much but apparently filming events:

Disgusting, but whoever it was that picked her up so they could film the blood at the back of her neck wants to have a serious word with themselves.

Disgusting, but whoever it was that picked her up so they could film the blood at the back of her neck wants to have a serious word with themselves.

I took that to be an unintentional consequence of someone picking her up to see if she was ok, but you may be right.

I was talking about this one really.

seems legit http://nilerevolt.wordpress.com/2013/08/14/1198/

Backlash against soft target, non MB aligned islamicist groups seeking to take advantage of the carnage ect.

Im posting between jobs at moment but need to check up on where abouts of Adel el-Khayat i assume he was picked up in the first round of arrests of of Morsi supporters.If he's gone to ground he might well be instrumental in this

Bullshit reaches new previously unheard-of levels:

The prime minister, Hazem Beblawi, said the crackdown was essential to create stability, and praised security forces for what he characterised as maximum restraint – despite Egypt's health ministry on Thursday putting the death toll at 525 from the violence when pro-Morsi camps on either side of Cairo were cleared.

"Egypt cannot move forward, especially economically, in the absence of security," Beblawi said in a televised statement. In 2011 Beblawi resigned from a previous government after a massacre of Coptic Christians.

The interior minister, Mohamed Ibrahim, also defended the crackdown, maintaining that the protesters had "threatened national security, incited violence and tortured and killed people". Both camps had been largely peaceful.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/15/egyptian-pm-defends-cairo-crackdown

Apprantly the protesters were accused of using children as human shields when anybody senisble knows the chronically obese make much better shields against machine guns :(
So of course snipers and armour were the right response towards people being noisy and not obeying a loundspeaker.
Strangely even the met declined to use snipers against the occupy protests

They are pretty indiscriminate but snipers seem especially keen to shoot people with cameras.

Not having a go at anyone but i think sniping is to precise a term for what they are doing.It gives a veneer of respectability to what is pretty much cold blooded murder
Here is footage of an army gunman popping up from an elevated position and taking pot-shots into the crowd.
Warning -scenes of disturbing nature,the footage was taken by Ahmed Assem moments before he was killed.Earlier this month

And I say that because on the contrary it demonstrates deliberate targeting to kill.

eg.

BRnf3yfCcAEf43H.jpg:large

A variety of responses to ElBaradei's resignation here:

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCon...die’s-resignation-draws-mostly-criticism.aspx

Tamarod being the most obvious cunts of the bunch again:

Rebel campaign, which spearheaded the 30 June mass protests that overthrew Morsi from power, issued a statement via Facebook denouncing ElBaradie’s resignation and describing it as an “escape from responsibility.”
“We were hoping that ElBaradie would do his role in explaining the situation to the global public opinion and international community and clarify that Egypt is facing organised terrorism, which highly endangers the Egyptian national security,” the statement read.
I'm going to have to start offering a little more about various characters involved with that movement soon.

Lets start with the face of that movement, Mahmoud Badr:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/mahmoud-badr-tamarod-protest-leader-egypt_n_3559487.html

Badr, who is not shy of saying he has presidential ambitions in the long term, was elated by his sudden power.

"The idea that you are drawing the political map of your country that we believe is the most important nation in the Arab world is so great," he said.

A sign pinned on the wall proclaims: "Winners never quit, and quitters never win."

As the movement grew and called for mass demonstration on June 30, the first anniversary of Morsi's inauguration, new, less familiar recruits permeated its branches.

One Tamarud activist who spoke to Reuters said she resigned three days before the giant protest because she was concerned that the secret police and former Mubarak supporters were infiltrating the movement.

"Suddenly, the faces had changed," said B.A., who asked not to give her full name for fear of retribution from the security services. "Many of the people I'd worked with left, and some of the new faces I knew were felul (remnants), nostalgic for Mubarak, or justifying the work of state security."
Badr shrugged off any suggestion that he, or his movement, could have been manipulated by Shafik or covert forces.

Other groups might have jumped on the bandwagon, but Tamarud remained in the driver's seat, he said.
The Tamarud leaders have worked closely with senior liberal politician Mohamed ElBaradei and were elated when, during the interview, the interim president's office called them to say the former U.N. nuclear agency chief would be named prime minister.

They jumped out of their chairs, slapped high-fives and broke into a chant of "The army and the people, one hand!"

"Baradei is our Bob (daddy), the leader of the revolution," Badr said. "He won the Nobel and we will take it as well."

As for funding of Tamarod, since I first started ranting about them after the coup I have seen the name of billionaire Naguib Sawiris pop up repeatedly. However the quality of articles I've found so far has not been that high, so I will do more research before posting links on this subject.

In the meantime I can certainly provide articles from the press which show what noises he made before and after Morsi was removed.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCon...is-targeted-by-Brotherhood-Egypt-busines.aspx

http://money.ca.msn.com/investing/n...re-sawiris-family-to-invest-like-never-before

And a small selection of his tweets from recent months:
Naguib Sawiris@NaguibSawiris
The world should see and hear millions of true Egyptians in the streets of Egypt calling for the overthrow of the second fascist dictator!
BBC:"The number of people protesting today is the largest number in a political event in the history of mankind. Keep impressing .. Egypt. "

Where in the world wanted individuals hide using women and children as human shields?Is it allowed to build roadblocks and obstruct traffic?

They are pretty indiscriminate but snipers seem especially keen to shoot people with cameras.

This does seem to be true, what with the bloke from Sky.

^Shoot the people with cameras, there will be less evidence."

Though contrary to that supposed belief it has caused more publicity. Maybe they just don't care.

OK found the interview I was looking for from July:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/11/w...-that-undermined-morsi.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Mr. Sawiris, one of Egypt’s richest men and a titan of the old establishment, said Wednesday that he had supported an upstart group called “tamarrod,” Arabic for “rebellion,” that led a petition drive seeking Mr. Morsi’s ouster. He donated use of the nationwide offices and infrastructure of the political party he built, the Free Egyptians. He provided publicity through a popular television network he founded and his major interest in Egypt’s largest private newspaper. He even commissioned the production of a popular music video that played heavily on the network.

“Tamarrod did not even know it was me!” he said. “I am not ashamed of it.”

He said he had publicly predicted that ousting Mr. Morsi would bolster Egypt’s sputtering economy because it would bring in billions of dollars in aid from oil-rich monarchies afraid that the Islamist movement might spread to their shores. By Wednesday, a total of $12 billion had flowed in from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait. “That will take us for 12 months with no problem,” Mr. Sawiris said.

"Sniping" with buckshot no less ffs.

My problem is with the image the BBC website chose to illustrate the youtube link of the shooting of Ahmed Assem with, which most people would associate with the image of what they would expect a sniper to look like,the sort of kit they would expect a sniper to use which would govern what protocols they would use ect,the actual shooter had neither a scope or a rest.So given not everyone who comes across that link will click-through it reinforces a false impression of what is going on, in such situations given the multi media nature of press reporting especially when at the time people were underplaying civillian casualties claiming them to be mb exagerations

why use that image to illustrate the report?

Sniping in this instance gives me the same kneejerk response i get when i hear reports of surgical strikes and targeted killings.you think i am talking a load of wank, fair enough i can live with that.

Back
Top Bottom