Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Egypt anti-government protests grow

Fucking horrible thing regardless, but does anyone know what actually caused such massive number of deaths? I mean, was it the reported fire, an stampede, or are we actually talking about more than 70 people being murdered by rival fans at a football match? The latter does not bear thinking about.

i find it hard to believe too. one comment on twitter suggested a wall/gate/fence may have collapsed, killing most who died. but that's merely one comment.

on the other hand i also saw a photo of what appeared to be a dead Ahly fan with his eyes gauged out.

what i don't understand though, is that in all the images i can't reallymany Ahly fans - their end looked near-empty.

is there a more overtly political aspect to this? Some twitter reports I've been reading are suggesting the one firm have been very pro-revolution, the others, the opposite?
i must admit that i find that a remarkably simplistic version of what's taken place, whatever your politics. sad news indeed.

i find it remarkable that 5 live coverage of this evenings football did not break once to mention this, even though they were reporting it in the news breaks. it was that cretinous fool mark chapman and mark lawrenson (freak) mind you.

is there a more overtly political aspect to this? Some twitter reports I've been reading are suggesting the one firm have been very pro-revolution, the others, the opposite?

I think its beyond question the the Al Ahly ultras were among those at the forefront of many battles around Tahrir square, the relevance of tonights events is afaik totally unproven. Curious minds will speculate of course.

i find it remarkable that 5 live coverage of this evenings football did not break once to mention this, even though they were reporting it in the news breaks. it was that cretinous fool mark chapman and mark lawrenson (freak) mind you.

Yes, that rather annoyed me too, laughing away after the news break,I bet lawrenson was at heysel too.

This from a few weeks back:
Egypt’s Ultras: Politically involved but not politically driven, yet

I think that 'yet' is going to be important over the next period - esp in relation to:
“We have been working to form that movement for a while; it should be similar to the April 6 [Youth] Movement,” he explained.

Gafaar revealed that Ahmed Harara, the renowned dentist who became completely blind after losing a second eye while protesting against Egypt's ruling military council in late November (he lost the first protesting against Mubarak in January) is strongly supporting this up-and-coming movement.

“Ahmed Harara is like the godfather of this movement,” Gafaar explained. “He should talk to the media about it soon.”

Egypt football riot: Port Said officials sacked

Senior officials in the Egyptian city of Port Said and the Egyptian football association have been sacked in the wake of riots on Wednesday at a football match in which 74 people died.
The governor of Port Said resigned, while the city's director of security and head of investigations were suspended and are now in custody.

The second sentence speaks volumes imho....

BBC News now reporting 'angry fans have sealed off Tahrir Square'. Footage that confirms Ultras Al Ahly are back in the square is on the news now.

The train station wyhen Al Ahly fans arrive back.....

407136_10150514349642466_176796467465_9107127_1584892475_n.jpg

From an Egyptian Ultra on Ultras Tifo

"it 's all planed by the S.C.A.F 2 show us how much we need for emergency law and their presence in the power to protect us ,They killed our brothers 2 spread terror between us and retaliate against all the Ultras here in Egypt not only UA for their support of the revolution and would stand against the corruption of sports organization and the Egyptian police ,for that they killed our brothers in cold blood"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mgxx

Great documentary on BBC2, Children of the Revolution, it features a Salafist(chilling) Ahmed, a working class activist, and Gigi...

she comes from a wealthy liberal family and is now a RS/SWP activist, she is though very very brave and very enthuisiastic as is Ahmed(as is his mum who gives the Muslim Brotherhood what for when they try to kick her out of the Sq)....

from Tahir now

'Seriously we are bad ass, we take every can of tear gas while it is still hot and firing and we throw it back at police !! We clap :))'

http://theangryegyptian.wordpress.com/

her blog/tweets

I'm hearing that some Port Said fans are claiming that there were 'unknown element's amongst them and condeming them for the violence. Also Zamalek lads have called a truce with Al-Ahly to oppose the authorities.

I had a disturbing moment today. At one point following twitter my tl was filled with live reports from Yemen, Egypt and Syria and I lost track of what was happening where. All I knew was that in square and streets across parts of the Middle East, people were being tear-gassed, beaten, shot and mortared for rights I take for granted by their own people. Ten minutes into the news I've heard about Chris Huhne and John Terry and nothing else. WTF.

AUC students to start civil disobedience against military rule on 11 February

The AUC Student Union heaped more pressure on Egypt’s military junta after announcing it would take part in a planned civil disobedience on 11 February, the day autocratic president Hosni Mubarak left office last year.

Ultras fans vowed 'blood wars' to continue Egyptian revolution on football fields

Last November, after football league threatened to cancel season, Ultras called president and media 'remnants' of Mubarak regime and promised to use more firecrackers to cleanse field of sports from 'counter-revolutionaries'

Egyptian security forces are 'settling score with revolutionaries

Egypt’s police after the revolution: Brutality combines with lack of security

New government, same old shit:

Egypt says it is to put on trial 40 people - including Americans and other foreigners - over the funding of non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
Egypt's ruling military council has accused foreign groups of funding street protests against them.
It has raided the offices of several NGOs and banned a number of foreign staff from leaving the country.
Washington has warned it could review US aid to Egypt unless Cairo respects the rights of NGOs.
"Forty people, including Egyptians, Americans and other nationalities, have been referred to the Cairo criminal court in the NGO funding case," a source told the AFP news agency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16896018

It's interesting that they are not investigating the tens of millions of pounds given to the Islamists from different countries in the Middle East

New government, same old shit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16896018

It's interesting that they are not investigating the tens of millions of pounds given to the Islamists from different countries in the Middle East

It's looking like money talks:

(Reuters) - Egypt's government will back down in a stand-off with Washington over U.S. funding for civil society groups because allowing the dispute to drag on could jeopardize aid worth billions of dollars, two Egyptian officials said.....

Cheers, will have a look when I get a chance.

Meanwhile an interesting little story from the English-language version of the We are all Khaled Said Facebook page:

pro-Mubarak and anti-revolution, Egyptian TV presenter, Tawfeeq Okasha has been sentenced to 6 months jail for his defamation campaign against Khaled Said and his continuous insults and degrading comments of Khaled Said's mother on his live TV show.

Hmmm, when searching for info on Tawfeeq Okasha I got this:

El-Saidi filled in the presidential candidate application and submitted documentation that show that he is a member of the National Party of Egypt, an offshoot of Mubarak's disbanded National Democratic Party, which won six seats in the People's Assembly.
The party was founded on 17 August 2011 by the late Talaat Al-Sadat, nephew of former president Anwar Al-Sadat and former MP.
Following Al-Sadat's death last November, Tawfik Okasha, a famous television presenter and owner of the private television channel Faraeen (Pharoahs), and Effat Al-Sadat are fighting for the leadership of the party.

From http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCon...idential-hopeful-officially-applies-to-r.aspx

A look at the manouveres around the constitution - top down of course, but still of interest:

SCAF to jostle Islamists for constitutional privileges

In sum: the military establishment is fighting to keep its 60 years of privileges and sacred status in the aftermath of an unexpected revolution. Meanwhile, the Muslim Brotherhood and the Salafists see the moment as a golden opportunity to (finally) effect huge changes in the country and gain considerable political advantages, especially now that they control 65 per cent of the constituent assembly

What kind of a deal could be brought up between the strong Islamist forces and the deeply-rooted high military officers?

Hmmm.

Across Egypt, long lines of cars and trucks snake around the corner from gas stations, drivers spend the night in their vehicles waiting for fuel at the pumps, and gas stations attendants complain of receiving only half their usual quantity of fuel — or none at all.
Days into an increasingly acute fuel shortage, Egyptians are starting to feel the squeeze. Drivers are searching frantically for fuel, only to find gas stations sold out of key grades of gas. In rural areas, witnesses say scuffles and knife fights have broken out among frustrated drivers. Some have even fired guns in the air.
The reasons behind the shortage — or even if there is one — are not clear. The government blames any shortfall on profiteers reselling subsidized fuel on the black market. Many Egyptians, however, accuse the authorities of trying to cover up what they say is the government's mismanagement of an ailing economy.
Petroleum Minister Abdullah Ghorab flatly dismissed talk of a shortage, saying fuel supplies exceed demand. He said the crisis stems from "mistrust between the government and the citizens," according to the state-run MENA news agency.
http://www.albawaba.com/gasoline-shortage-hits-egypt-tempers-flare-418914
Plenty more of note in the full article.

The MB pledge not to field a candidate for president from their own leadership didn't last, their main financier/deputy chairman is standing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17575705

In an official statement, the Muslim Brotherhood said it had reversed its decision not to contest the presidency to overcome risks to Egypt's revolution and the transfer from military to civilian rule.
The Brotherhood already dominates Egypt's newly elected parliament and the panel set up to draft the new constitution.
But it complains that its attempts to form a new cabinet have been blocked and there have been threats to dissolve parliament.
The ruling military council has been in conflict with the Brotherhood over the appointment of cabinet ministers.
The Brotherhood argues presidential candidates from the ousted government could present a further challenge.

And now the We are all Khaled Said Facebook page brings us this news:

Mubarak's vice president and his head of intelligence, Omar Suliman, has decided to stand for the presidential elections in the last minute! He is claiming to be able to collect the required 30 thousand signatures in one day on Saturday!

There is a bad taste the mouths of many Egyptians especially those who fought hard to throw away Mubarak and his top aides. Omar Suliman is said to be responsible for a number of torture cases.

I always wondered what this fucker was doing, became pretty invisible after Mubarak went but I had a feeling he might be lurking behind the scenes.

Back
Top Bottom