Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Egg Substitutes?

Careful of that cholesterol, now...

"Life, as many people have spotted, is, of course, terribly unfair. For instance, the first time the Heart of Gold ever crossed the galaxy the massive improbability field it generated caused two-hundred-and-thirty-nine thousand lightly-fried eggs to materialise in a large, wobbly heap on the famine-struck land of Poghril in the Pansel system. The whole Poghril tribe had just died out from famine, except for one man who died of cholesterol-poisoning some weeks later."

if you are using chickpeas, kidney beans etc anyhow just pour the aquafaba into a cup, I think the average can has 2/3 eggs worth, I've never properly measured that though
ive never liked chickpeas but this idea is bonkers enough, it might just work captain! :D

I'm just a bit concerned about these things right now and would like to move a bit further to the plant domain if I'm honest.

Aquafaba (the water that comes in tinned chickpeas) as an egg replacement in cakes etc.
I just sadly noted that Aldi's cheap canned chickpeas now contain sodium metabisulphite...
I had already noticed there was no longer lovely farty gunge in the can.

I'm not a chemiphobe so I know any free SO2 will dissipate and the sodium is probably insignificant, but I am disapointed because there will be vitamins and minerals lost in cooking water and I can no longer use the liquid.

That's interesting, and while I don't want to derail this entire thread, she does recommend 'up to' 1 egg a day. I'm currently eating 3, and I think, from my understanding, that increases in dietary cholesterol do impact blood. People often make the argument that cholesterol can' tbe bad to eat because our bodies are made of it. But dose makes the poison, as they say, and that argument is fallacious anyway
I wouldn't worry about eating eggs - I get through a fair number of them (about a dozen a week, sometimes more) and my cholesterol is fine.

I tried some Aquafaba yesterday. It's not a cost effective substitute unfortunately, especially as I dont eat chick peas. It did the job, though probably could have just used water anyway. On it's own it tastes pretty grim though. Interesting idea. Sadly in my local Coop, eggs are 13p more expensive than 1 can of Chickpeas.

I tried some Aquafaba yesterday. It's not a cost effective substitute unfortunately, especially as I dont eat chick peas. It did the job, though probably could have just used water anyway. On it's own it tastes pretty grim though. Interesting idea. Sadly in my local Coop, eggs are 13p more expensive than 1 can of Chickpeas.
Well if you don't like chickpeas, guess you won't like chickpea juice! Obviously it's cost effective (basically free) if you do eat them.

But HOW "normal" ?
We could compare ... though "optimum" figures are probably contentious ....
They are within the reference range for each measurement so that counts as 'normal' from a medical point of view. They've been stable for many years so my egg consumption doesn't cause my cholesterol levels to increase.

The main thing it depends on is whether your cholesterol levels go up after eating lots of eggs, something that will vary from one person to another based on various factors such as genetics, gut biome etc.

Back
Top Bottom