Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Egg Substitutes?

Karl Masks

Birds Angel Delight
I would like to reduce my egg consumption. 3 a day. Not sure if that's good or bad, because I can't tell whether those who say eggs are fine aren't all cranks these days. Anyway, I eat 2 for breakfast as part of an omellette, and 1 as a flax muffin for lunch (with yummy almond butter). What would make a good replacement? I know some people use flax as a fake egg, but i've never made that work. Thanks

Also isn’t there official vegan egg substitute these days? Not sure what it’s like but I’ve seen some positive reviews.

Something that i can use when cooking my flaxseed muffins.

I am somewhat concerned about the cholesterol these days. Plus they are bloody expensive

You can used milled flaxseed, with a bit of water. I used it recently to make vegan chocolate brownies.
I tried that, but it didn't really make any difference. I like a flax muffin, but just ended up with a wet sticky flax. Tasted ok, especially fried like a nan bread. What i could scrap off the pan

I tried that, but it didn't really make any difference. I like a flax muffin, but just ended up with a wet sticky flax. Tasted ok, especially fried like a nan bread. What i could scrap off the pan
I'm wondering from what you say if you have understood?

Flax egg can be used in any cake, muffin brownie, blonde recipe. Makes it light and fluffy. For example for a batch of 12 brownies I think I used
4 tbs of ground flax (can buy in the supermarket ready ground) mixed with 125mls of water and left to thicken for 25- 20 mins.
Once added to the cake mix it just goes in the cake tin/ muffin cases etc and in the oven.

I
I'm wondering from what you say if you have understood?

Flax egg can be used in any cake, muffin brownie, blonde recipe. Makes it light and fluffy. For example for a batch of 12 brownies I think I used
4 tbs of ground flax (can buy in the supermarket ready ground) mixed with 125mls of water and left to thicken for 25- 20 mins.
Once added to the cake mix it just goes in the cake tin/ muffin cases etc and in the oven.
I know, but when I tried it didn't work. Didn't substitute for an egg at all

I'm not sure that's entirely true. I would like to believe that.
It is true. The cholesterol that gathers in your veins and arteries is made by your body. It doesn't come directly from what you eat. If you want less cholesterol, you need less fat in your diet.

Eta: or possibly "fewer".

Last edited:
That's interesting, and while I don't want to derail this entire thread, she does recommend 'up to' 1 egg a day. I'm currently eating 3, and I think, from my understanding, that increases in dietary cholesterol do impact blood. People often make the argument that cholesterol can' tbe bad to eat because our bodies are made of it. But dose makes the poison, as they say, and that argument is fallacious anyway

Back
Top Bottom