Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Picture Gallery - news and discussion

brix

spinster of this parish
My mum wants to go and see an exhibition at the Dulwich Picture Gallery and have some lunch nearby. Only thing is I can't stand eating in Dulwich 'Village' :rolleyes: . All those three wheeled baby buggies and poshos braying about their holidays in Tuscany :eek:

Can anyone suggest a pub that does food, or a nice restaurant or cafe, that's not too far from there, but far enough for us to get away from (at least some of) the Bojo voters?

The Greyhound ;)

Umm - you can eat at the picture gallery which is a bit quieter (but obviously full of Dulwich types). Or you can walk down to Herne Hill and there are loads of places there which are a bit less bojo friendly.

The Crown and Greyhound and Piaf both do decent food, but the pasta place on the opposite side of the road is to be avoided.

My mum wants to go and see an exhibition at the Dulwich Picture Gallery and have some lunch nearby. Only thing is I can't stand eating in Dulwich 'Village' :rolleyes: . All those three wheeled baby buggies and poshos braying about their holidays in Tuscany :eek:
I don't understand, do you want to eat near the Gallery or not?

The picture gallery cafe is quite nice, but you'd really have to overcome your aversion to Dulwichites. Think the cafe in Dulwich park is quite nice, but again you'd be in the home of the three-wheeled pushchair.

If you really want to avoid the village, I'd go with what trashy suggested and wander over to Herne Hill and go to Pullens. Haven't been there for years but it was home to a lot of early dates with the other half :cool:

Or if you want to work up an appetite for lunch, you could walk through Dulwich Park, Sydenham Hill woods and end up at the Dulwich Woodhouse pub. Or, if you wanted to extend your day, you could get two museums for the price of one and head over (via Dulwich Park) to Horniman Museum in Forest Hill, which also has a cafe. Forest Hill also has the Dartmouth Arms pub which is 'gastro', or Provender (sp?) veggie/wholefood cafe shop on Dartmouth Road. Think you'd be pretty hungry by then though :D

The Greyhound

Umm - you can eat at the picture gallery which is a bit quieter (but obviously full of Dulwich types). Or you can walk down to Herne Hill and there are loads of places there which are a bit less bojo friendly.

Thing is I love The Greyhound! But the people that go in.... :(

Herne Hill's a good idea :)

I don't understand, do you want to eat near the Gallery or not?

I'm asking for something almost impossible I think. Somewhere that's not too far from the gallery, but not in the 'village', and that has a more mixed crowd so as to water down the effect of the bojo types :D

The picture gallery cafe is quite nice, but you'd really have to overcome your aversion to Dulwichites. Think the cafe in Dulwich park is quite nice, but again you'd be in the home of the three-wheeled pushchair.

If you really want to avoid the village, I'd go with what trashy suggested and wander over to Herne Hill and go to Pullens. Haven't been there for years but it was home to a lot of early dates with the other half

Or if you want to work up an appetite for lunch, you could walk through Dulwich Park, Sydenham Hill woods and end up at the Dulwich Woodhouse pub. Or, if you wanted to extend your day, you could get two museums for the price of one and head over (via Dulwich Park) to Horniman Museum in Forest Hill, which also has a cafe. Forest Hill also has the Dartmouth Arms pub which is 'gastro', or Provender (sp?) veggie/wholefood cafe shop on Dartmouth Road. Think you'd be pretty hungry by then though

Hi beeboo! Went to the cafe in Dulwich Park on Saturday. A lovely spot but the locals drove me crackers. And I'm really not a 'children must be seen and not heard' type, but those posh kids drive me mad. I can't describe it; it's a sort of sense of entitlement that they seem to have. The kids I work with at school are just so much nicer. And they're the ones that would be villified as 'hoodies' in the press! :mad: Anyway, I digress...

Hmmm, a walk through the woods to The Woodhouse sounds a v.good idea.

Thanks all, some good suggestions here.

Unearthed: Photography's Roots at the Dulwich Picture Gallery, 19 May-30 Aug 2021

Gallery has reopened Unearthed: Photography’s Roots at the Dulwich Picture Gallery, 19 May-30 Aug 2021

Back
Top Bottom