Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet v Bath City 18.02.23

There’s an interesting dichotomy in there. If these problems are created as much by the board as by any manager then in supporting Barnes then you are also endorsing the board.

How so? I like Barnes, I hope he can keep us up. I back the board on that decision, but I wouldn't say that that stops me from criticising the board for giving GR endless time and resources.

Last edited:
I just think he was trying to hang on for as long as poss, bc he was doing very nicely out of it, thank you v much. If he had the best interests of the club at heart, why would he take offence to the fact that we needed to plan for like posr-ASPIRE?
I think you’re answering your own question there. How can he have the best interests of the club at heart when he’s doing very nicely out of it? He didn’t. And raising that conversation brings that into the open, and would have led to conflict.

Who knows? Had this season worked out on the one year deal, maybe the next one year deal would have come with conditions around moving Aspire across. We’ll never know.

Edit to add. I think really we just have different expectations of the timescale taken to get to that “give us back the academy” chat. Not saying I’m right at all, just that I’d find that conversation difficult at the pace you’re suggesting. But then I’m a notorious shithouse in yearend appraisals so…

I think you’re answering your own question there. How can he have the best interests of the club at heart when he’s doing very nicely out of it? He didn’t. And raising that conversation brings that into the open, and would have led to conflict.

Who knows? Had this season worked out on the one year deal, maybe the next one year deal would have come with conditions around moving Aspire across. We’ll never know.

Edit to add. I think really we just have different expectations of the timescale taken to get to that “give us back the academy” chat. Not saying I’m right at all, just that I’d find that conversation difficult at the pace you’re suggesting. But then I’m a notorious shithouse in yearend appraisals so…

Is there anyone else at the club that is also "doing very nicely out of it"?

Perhaps you should read the thread too.
I don’t really want to speculate on what people get paid but… If you’re talking about paid employees, the club is London Living Wage yes? If you’re talking the few full time positions, knowing the individuals concerned and the huge time they put in I can well imagine that they do so much more than contracted hours that it breaks back to LLW.

If you’re talking BC I don’t believe he takes a salary from the club? The value of his stake will have gone up hugely of course but (and sorry, this is where I’m fairly sure we’ll disagree) I don’t have a massive problem with that. After all he risked his own money in a near insolvent club with a highly uncertain future and pulled it round. It was very very high risk and sometimes that deserves high reward.

I don’t really want to speculate on what people get paid but… If you’re talking about paid employees, the club is London Living Wage yes? If you’re talking the few full time positions, knowing the individuals concerned and the huge time they put in I can well imagine that they do so much more than contracted hours that it breaks back to LLW.

If you’re talking BC I don’t believe he takes a salary from the club? The value of his stake will have gone up hugely of course but (and sorry, this is where I’m fairly sure we’ll disagree) I don’t have a massive problem with that. After all he risked his own money in a near insolvent club with a highly uncertain future and pulled it round. It was very very high risk and sometimes that deserves high reward.
Edited to add. Fuck it. Who cares. Let them do what they want.
Let them hire their relations.

Last edited:
Funny that’s it’s now we have to stick together and support the team and manager when I have seen you and others, the board and the father of the secretary of the club (Liam) be completely contradictory I only made a account after 25 years of being a hamlet fan and I’m tired of this rubbish.

On the up note I haven’t seen you be this positive which is a good thing I guess

Is that it?
I’ll leave those individuals to comment if they feel they need to, but personally I don’t see any issue

Just on the game: as Pink Panther says the problem is that we're haemorrhaging goals at the moment. I deliberately watched the game to see why that might be, but I thought we looked much tighter yesterday. The two goals were an individual error and a freak shot - they weren't massive collective defensive errors.

The only thing I did notice was that we drop very deep, the midfield particularly and I think it invites some of the pressure. But plenty of teams play in low blocks and I get that he's probably trying to suck teams in so we can use the pace of people like Porter and Felix on the counter.

I thought there were two big decisions/changes yesterday: 1) we moved to a back 3, which has clearly been done to stem the flow. I thought all 3 centre halves played well, Cheadle's mishap aside. 2) Comley was brought on. I know people disagree with me about this, but I think he's a different type of midfielder to Powell, Raymond etc. He's got steel and experience, and I actually think how we use him in the next 15 games will be pivotal. He's the closest thing we have to Kargbo if Quade is playing in a back 3. I thought it was the right sub to help consolidate our position and try to get a draw.

My point being: I think Barnes is doing stuff to deal with the big problem at the moment, and IMO he got those decisions right. We were just unlucky. Again.

On to Tuesday.

Bit odd to come on the forum saying I have heard but dont know, if your son is a paid employee.
I will try from my knowledge to to answer your questions and this is not to defend anything.

1 No board member gets paid for being on the board
2 I know of a few family who are employed as bar staff. However, that is as much because there is a shortage of reliable bar staff. Despite paying London Living Wage, staff to do this work are in short supply.
3. I don’t know what people get paid but I very much doubt it’s above or even at the market rate for the job. We have a General Manager a Club Secretary, a Media Manager & a bar manager plus a commercial manager who I believe is paid commission only. I know all spend a lot of time doing things outside their job role.
4 The stadium needs constant repairs
5 The upstairs space will take many thousands to bring back to use
6 The squash courts are wasted space

7 A lot of the businesses previously renting space folded in the pandemic
8 Unlike many other clubs we struggle to access grant funding because we always have a short lease and so don’t qualify

That’s why a new stadium is essential and only then will we have facilities that can be properly utilised.

Last edited:
I will try from my knowledge to to answer your questions and this is not to defend anything.

1 No board member gets paid for being on the board
2 I know of a few family who are employed as bar staff. However, that is as much because there is a shortage of reliable bar staff. Despite paying London Living Wage, staff to do this work are in short supply.
3. I don’t know what people get paid but I very much doubt it’s above or even at the market rate for the job. We have a General Manager a Club Secretary, a Media Manager & a bar manager plus a commercial manager who I believe is paid commission only. I know all spend a lot of time doing things outside their job role.
4 The stadium needs constant repairs
5 The upstairs space will take many thousands to bring back to use
6 The squash courts are wasted apace
7 A lot of the businesses previously renting space folded in the pandemic
8 Unlike many other clubs we struggle to access grant funding because we always have a short lease and so don’t qualify

That’s why a new stadium is essential and only then will we have facilities that can be properly utilised.

I don’t believe we will be relegated so that’s a positive from me.

I have a lot more time for the current people in charge than what we had in the past.
I hope you’re referring to the ownership of the club rather than those unpaid volunteers who served on the committee, took on many of the roles that are now salaried at this club and instigating most of the initiatives at Champion Hill that were responsible for the growth in support. Supporters who were prepared to back this club with their own money when things were in their darkest days and probably still thousands out of pocket from their own money they put in to make sure the lights stayed on and the bills got paid. It’s almost if that part of our history has been erased.

I hope you’re referring to the ownership of the club rather than those unpaid volunteers who served on the committee, took on many of the roles that are now salaried at this club and instigating most of the initiatives at Champion Hill that were responsible for the growth in support. Supporters who were prepared to back this club with their own money when things were in their darkest days and probably still thousands out of pocket from their own money they put in to make sure the lights stayed on and the bills got paid. It’s almost if that part of our history has been erased.
Do you seriously think thats what I could have meant?

Regarding the game, a draw would have been fair result. Both teams very even and not a great standard. It was a shame about Cheadle's error for the first goal as he was overall a positive addition and was clearly the go to player for all dead balls. I thought the back 3 looked good. As said above we do drop off quite quickly leaving a gap in midfield which allows the opposition to carry the ball along way before w challenge. I always think we look better when we press high and give other team little time on the ball. We clearly lack pace at the moment and more so when Felix is suspended. We could do with a Clarke , Green or McQueen right now.

I thought you get to be the majority shareholder that way?

Maybe that only applies to some and not others.

Do you seriously think thats what I could have meant?
Actually that the way it reads to those of us “running the club” on those days. I do feel that those on the committee keeping the club alive in those days never really get the credit for doing so. There used to be a plaque in the boardroom that listed the winners of the “Club Person of the Year”, the only tangible reward for their services most volunteers received. Sadly that has been removed and, as far as I’m aware, never been replaced.

Actually that the way it reads to those of us “running the club” on those days. I do feel that those on the committee keeping the club alive in those days never really get the credit for doing so. There used to be a plaque in the boardroom that listed the winners of the “Club Person of the Year”, the only tangible reward for their services most volunteers received. Sadly that has been removed and, as far as I’m aware, never been replaced.

Oh my. Any information please baleboy_93 ?

A two time recipient (only person still to date?).

I understand Ben Clasper tore the thing from the wall a few years ago, took to it with his creme brulee torch, before throwing the flaming plaque roughly to the floor. Witnesses speak of him dancing wildly around the stricken cartouche chanting maniacally "mine, it's all mine."
I don’t actually find that funny, indeed that is incredibly insulting not only to Ben but to every club volunteer who’s name is on it.

Back
Top Bottom