Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Talked to the guy at work who's a Wealdstone fan - he had a great day out on Sat ( :mad: ) and really liked the club. Impressed by our fans and the noise they made. Last time he'd been was about 4 or 5 years ago when we played Bognor Regis - he said there was barely 200 or 300 that night and thought we'd done well to increase our fan base. Impressed and bemused in equal measure by our flags and paraphernalia :cool: Sounds like they had a really good local pub crawl too. I told him we'd be back for revenge later in the season!

Very good night tonight about 100 (high for mid week x cup game)

sang our hearts out

The goalkeeper took some Student Loans, Nick Clegg & Guardian Editorial abuse (as well as usual small badge

tried to work up a "Car wash end" chant

maybe we should work on hand actions as well

Hope the Hamlet Virgins enjoyed it

Dulwich Hamlet FC "spread the joy"

Can report several Hamlet virgins had a great night! Good to see us play well, but from the chances we created were lucky to score at all - thank God for their goalie.

He did, however, take the jokes well. Even when I accused him of voting Tory.

Last edited:
I realise this question pertains to an event so far in the future that Robert's predicitions of robo-football will doubtless have been proved true, but does anyone know if club (or fans) will be sorting a coach out for the away trip to Maidstone in mid-March? Looks like could be a massive game in our season, and would make a nice cornerstone to a birthday weekend, but have little intention of shelling out £20 for a train ride down the road.

Ah ha, that video opens with as clip of One Nation Under A Groove. Me and Joe have got a long held ambition to get "one Hamlet under a groove" going as a chant.

You kicked it in the Car Wash... You kicked in the Car Wash End. C'mon and sing it with me...
I realise this question pertains to an event so far in the future that Robert's predicitions of robo-football will doubtless have been proved true, but does anyone know if club (or fans) will be sorting a coach out for the away trip to Maidstone in mid-March? Looks like could be a massive game in our season, and would make a nice cornerstone to a birthday weekend, but have little intention of shelling out £20 for a train ride down the road.
Quite likely. Ask Edgar On The Hill on twitter, he tends to organise coaches. But if that level of automation exists before then we'll hopefully live in a communist utopia and the trains will be free, or at least cheaper.

Saturday away at Wingate & Finchley looks easy: http://www.wingatefinchley.com/clubinfo.php West Finchely tube on the Northern Line is about 10-15 minutes walk from the ground, with both that and the Victoria Line working. And with an average home league gate of 136 this could be that finest of delights: an away takeover.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, and yeah, planning to travel up on Saturday. Sad to see their attendance is so low, be great to get a decent away turnout

Thanks mate, and yeah, planning to travel up on Saturday. Sad to see their attendance is so low, be great to get a decent away turnout
Being the fifth most important competition, London Senior Cup games are almost unofficial reserve matches. Gavin certainly treats it as such.

Being the fifth most important competition, London Senior Cup games are almost unofficial reserve matches. Gavin certainly treats it as such.
I meant the attendances at Wingate & Finchley - I thought last night wasn't bad actually! And we happy few were treated with a stronger team than I expected.

Saturday away at Wingate & Finchley looks easy: http://www.wingatefinchley.com/clubinfo.php West Finchely tube on the Northern Line is about 10-15 minutes walk from the ground, with both that and the Victoria Line working. And with an average home league gate of 136 this could be that finest of delights: an away takeover.

Yes, W&F have struggled for support for many years now so we should be able to virtually turn this into a home game support wise, and it's relatively straightforward to get to. They have a unique art deco main stand with an identical twin backing onto it for the adjacent rugby club. The club bar is underneath the stand. It's a merger between two clubs (as the name suggests) and the former Wingate FC is very much a Jewish club, so don't expect any porky typ[e stuff in the tea bar. (And as mentioned a few days back probably best to avoid the Dulwich Hamlet Uber Alles song!)

More detailed map showing area with ground clearly marked here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=527060&y=191580&z=110&sv=summers+lane&st=6&tl=Map+of+Summers+Lane,+London,+N_12&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

By Tube, you can use any of three consecutive stations on the Northern Line High Barnet branch. (There are no planned engineering works this Saturday.)
From East Finchley (Zone 3), take bus 263 straight up the main road (just under 2 miles, buses run about every 10 mins) and get off at Granville Road, which is the second stop after the overpass across the North Circular. The stop is just beyond the junction with Summers Lane and a couple of minutes’ walk from the ground.

From Finchley Central (Zone 4), take bus 382 from opposite the station (about 1.5 miles, buses run about every 15 mins) and this runs along Summers Lane right past the ground. (Woodgrange Avenue is the stop you’ll need.)

From West Finchley (Zone 4) there’s no bus link, but this is the closest station to the ground; no more than around 15 mins walk, but it’s a bit of a fiddly route so don’t attempt it unless you’ve had a good look at the map first or know exactly where you’re going.

Most convenient pub option is probably the Bald Faced Stag, which is just outside East Finchley station to the right, and adjacent to the 263 bus stop. I haven’t been in for a few years, it sounds to have turned a bit foody/pricey (always used to be a fairly standard high street boozer) but it’s become a regular entry in the Good Beer Guide.

Interesting read about W&F's Jewish identity...
http://www.wsc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7452&Itemid=38

Apparently, the Wingate bit is named after a pro-Zionist British soldier and the club was set up to battle anti-semitism. They do a lot of good work for charidee. Still seems considered quite a 'Jewish' club.
And the article suggests that's why they have low crowds. And whilst they are low for the Isthmian Premier, and whilst I know nothing of the racial politics in that bit of North London, I can't imagine (or, really hope) that's not the reason. I mean, it certainly wouldn't have stopped me if they were my local club.
Would a group be interested in travelling together from Brixton?
I quite like the trip from Brixton, especially if there's Arsenal fans to out-sing en route (they play Sunday, alas), but I'm in Peckham and waking up after a nightshift so no time for dallying I'm afraid. There'll be others though.

Anyone else think we should have a specific chant to sing after a goal? Something lovely and bouncy, adds to the moment and if it's done after every goal then it'll become a tradition. Think bouncing/hand movements look great from a far when they're done well

And the article suggests that's why they have low crowds. And whilst they are low for the Isthmian Premier, and whilst I know nothing of the racial politics in that bit of North London, I can't imagine (or, really hope) that's not the reason. I mean, it certainly wouldn't have stopped me if they were my local club.

I'm sure there's nothing sinister about their low crowd numbers. The pre-merger Finchley FC played at that ground and their crowds were even poorer. It's just typically lazy speculation from WSC. I used to be a subscriber but got so annoyed by their supercilious right-on tone that I cancelled about ten years ago. Many of the old Amateur clubs in Inner London (i.e. the London postal codes) have merged, died completely, or lost their ground like Hendon. The Hamlet have really bucked that trend and W&F seems to be a relatively healthy club.

In fact there's such a well-established Jewish community throughout North West London it would be equally pertitnent to ask why they don't rally round and support the club in greater numbers. I think the reality is that the ground isn't in a great location, just beyond a depressingly big major road junction and new cinema/leisure centre complex, and tucked away in a residential road with no station or real community focal point within quite a wide radius.

I believe the club president is a prominent member of the local Tory consistuency party and insisted on holding a minute's silence before kick off last season after Thatcher died. Perhaps that's what puts people off attending games!

Other than the obvious clubs (Arsenal & Spurs), I wonder if football fans in that area might have gone to Barnet. Only three stops from West Finchley on the tube.

I'm not really sure what it even means to suggest that the local community isn't interested because of the clubs Jewish identity. Given that anywhere you go the overwhelming majority of people have no interest in their local nth tier non-league club who are they saying has been put off exactly?

Jewish community North London (most ex East End) - just surprised W&F don't use that Jewish history (but not easy for any club)

While we have made great strides at Dulwich Hamlet - we have too few Black supporters at games

The antics of the racists in 70s and 80s no-doubt played its part

But we have a lot to be proud of, not least one of the few clubs with a Black manager

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between the racial makeup of certain things - FTSE 100 boardrooms, police stop & search lists, temporary low paid jobs, parliamentary candidates etc. - and minority interests like a non-league club. As a teenager I used to ponder why the indie and punk nightclubs I frequented were so white and wonder what could be done (drag 'them' along to a beer-soaked dancefloor to listen to music they hadn't elected to??!!) And besides, I'm not particularly sure to what extent we're lacking a... representative mix. I haven't done any crude headcounting, and don't really want to, but I reckon we're more mixed than other London clubs we've played... and our crowds are certainly more diverse than a lot of other Evening Standard delighting local things, i.e. Frank's Cafe on top of the Peckham multi-storey carpark.

I'm sure football's general lack of representativeness is a legacy of its ostentatiously racist past, which is depressing, and symptomatic of wider social patterns that still exist. Maybe we should consider a little DIY outreach work. Perhaps more pressing is non-anglophone communities locally: Colombian, Portuguese, Polish. Edit: The South London Antifascists have been expanding into outreach work recently, I could have a word at the next meeting.
I believe the club president is a prominent member of the local Tory consistuency party and insisted on holding a minute's silence before kick off last season after Thatcher died. Perhaps that's what puts people off attending games!
Ha ha ha. Begs the question whether he'll have a minute's silence for Maggie's "terrorist" tomorrow...
Anyone else think we should have a specific chant to sing after a goal? Something lovely and bouncy, adds to the moment and if it's done after every goal then it'll become a tradition. Think bouncing/hand movements look great from a far when they're done well

I think we tend to be a bit too carried away sometimes to do anything even vaguely choreographed! I dunno. Needs to be something new. Throw our scarves in the air? Lift up a gigantic replica of Edgar Kail on the cross?

Last edited:
It really doesn't get much better than a win like that! What a great afternoon.

Wingate & Finchley seemed like a nice club. Decent ground, I'd definitely go again.

"And number 1 is Ellis Green..." (ad infinitum)

Back
Top Bottom