Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Maybe I spoke too soon - I just found out that the racist, bourgeois, child indoctrinating fuckwit Enid Blyton was born in East Dulwich. Thank god kids don't read books anymore.

I grew up where she wrote her books

and anyway thatcher lived in Dulwich ffs!

13.29 is good for me

I grew up where she wrote her books

and anyway thatcher lived in Dulwich ffs!

13.29 is good for me

No Thatcher bought a house in Dulwich (new estate off the South Circ) - but NEVER moved in (security issues allegedly)

Dennis Thatcher is quoted in local paper as saying his reason for impending move to Dulwich was that as he had looked at a number of locations but opted for Dulwich as

“I don’t want to live next door to Indian’s with their smelly food”

Last edited:
No Thatcher bought a house in Dulwich - but NEVER moved in

Dennis Thatcher is quoted in local paper as saying his reason for impending move to Dulwich was that

“I don’t want to live next door to Indian’s with their smelly food”

he didnt move because he didnt want smelly food?

well people associate Dulwich with her that was more my point :)

again have to get train due to arrangements before n after the game

...maybe its worth starting an away day collection to help cover costs if not everyone can take coaches that week or at least a little bit of the costs? all though dont know how easy that would be... im sure though next season with the longer distances (and hopefully growing fanbase) there should be more demand.

Right then chaps. Away day coach travel. A real bugbear of mine because this issue comes up year after year.
Usually about the time there is a late season seaside visit on the horizon or a cup final/big match coming up.
The thing to do is form a travel club. Say 25/30 members/ people who wish to use a coach on a regular basis.
Ask them to contribute say £3 a week. Preferable by direct debit. That’s less than the cost of one pint of weak watery beer some of you call ‘real ale’.
As my maths are not great, I’ll make it easy for myself and say 25 members @ £3 a week equals £75 x 52 weeks equals £3,900 per year.
I believe the cost of the coach is somewhere in the region of £500. Someone will have to speak to Shaun to confirm/deny that costing.
This season I believe 6 trips required a coach. But it would then be up to the group/organiser to decide which matches a coach is required for.
And then let the travel club know well in advance which matches those would be.
I would then suggest that members of the travel club that have set up direct debits get free travel on the coaches and first refusal of a seat on the coach.
Then anybody who’s not a member of the travel club is charged a set fee for a seat (say £15) for any seats that are left on the coach.
Which in turn would boost the travel club coffers even more.
It just needs organising ladies and gents. And no, it won’t be me!! There are enough Hamlet supporters out there now which should mean it’s not the same few faces who have to step up to the plate every time something needs arranging at our club.
Please remember people, these are just the musings of a dinosaur who never thought we would get to the stage where there was a demand for a coach on a fairly regular basis.
If someone thinks there is a germ of an idea there he/she can work with, a few tweaks notwithstanding, go for it.
There does appear to be some sort of demand for coach travel and you do appear to really enjoy it when you travel that way.
Discuss.

Maybe I spoke too soon - I just found out that the racist, bourgeois, child indoctrinating fuckwit Enid Blyton was born in East Dulwich. Thank god kids don't read books anymore.
There is one of the London Borough of southwark blue plaques above where she lived, on Lordship Lane, above Plough Homecraft, by the Dulwich Library bus stops.

I always preferred the Secret Seven to the Famous Five. What were your preferences? ;-)

Never read my sisters' Mallory Towers one, but I did sneak read her Milly Molly Mandy ones, can't remember the author of those though...

A great sugestion, but I think you hit the nail on the head with "It just needs organising ladies and gents. And no, it won’t be me!!".

Sadly won't be me either, as I work every other Saturday, so can't commit to be on board, so to speak, for every trip.

But, having said that...why not have the Supporters' Trust arrange a travel club, as you suggest. A great way to boost membership, I would have thought, and any surplus could be ploughed back into their funds. Plus...they already have a 'captive' email membership list to 'sell the idea' to.

Right then chaps. Away day coach travel. A real bugbear of mine because this issue comes up year after year.
Usually about the time there is a late season seaside visit on the horizon or a cup final/big match coming up.
The thing to do is form a travel club. Say 25/30 members/ people who wish to use a coach on a regular basis.
Ask them to contribute say £3 a week. Preferable by direct debit. That’s less than the cost of one pint of weak watery beer some of you call ‘real ale’.
As my maths are not great, I’ll make it easy for myself and say 25 members @ £3 a week equals £75 x 52 weeks equals £3,900 per year.
I believe the cost of the coach is somewhere in the region of £500. Someone will have to speak to Shaun to confirm/deny that costing.
This season I believe 6 trips required a coach. But it would then be up to the group/organiser to decide which matches a coach is required for.
And then let the travel club know well in advance which matches those would be.
I would then suggest that members of the travel club that have set up direct debits get free travel on the coaches and first refusal of a seat on the coach.
Then anybody who’s not a member of the travel club is charged a set fee for a seat (say £15) for any seats that are left on the coach.
Which in turn would boost the travel club coffers even more.
It just needs organising ladies and gents. And no, it won’t be me!! There are enough Hamlet supporters out there now which should mean it’s not the same few faces who have to step up to the plate every time something needs arranging at our club.
Please remember people, these are just the musings of a dinosaur who never thought we would get to the stage where there was a demand for a coach on a fairly regular basis.
If someone thinks there is a germ of an idea there he/she can work with, a few tweaks notwithstanding, go for it.
There does appear to be some sort of demand for coach travel and you do appear to really enjoy it when you travel that way.
Discuss.

you dont half go on ;-)

fuck it I'll do it for next season any other nouveau lot want to help sankara ?? anyone else?

we can put a proposal similar to above bit more details, obviously, then bound it about on here and the main forum see what people think, agree and then implement.

haha the travel club sounds like we are in an Enid Blyton Story....
We can let vornstyle76 come up with the name (or maybe not :D dont wont to end up with the satanic god sodomizing ultra tour bus travel company.com)

Edit as long as Shaun is happy with the idea....of course

That works out at £26 a trip. OK it's spread out which is good but it's a bit on the steep side really. Maybe it could be worked out cheaper though, I know those are rough figures.

That works out at £26 a trip. OK it's spread out which is good but it's a bit on the steep side really. Maybe it could be worked out cheaper though, I know those are rough figures.

exactly so thats why people need to sit down and come up with a detailed proposal that takes into account lots of factors Mick O. s suggestion just hypothetical to build from

are you volunteering yourself as well then Monkeygrinder's Organ ?

i grew up reading her books. i loved them when i was a wee kiddie. rereading them as an adult i wondered how i ended up like i did. class will out, i guess.

The last season we needed to run buses (2008/09) for Altona 93, we had a look on the fixtures in the end of June and asked a bus-company what the price would be for each of the 15(?) tours that season, if we promise to travel with them every time. With those prices we calculated a "bus-season-ticket" - so we had a couple of Euros to deal with in the beginning of the season. The single bus-ticket was a little more expensive, but a lot of people used it. On the buses you could bet on the match and buy cheep drinks - that helped the project as well. I think we cancelled a bus only once (and went with two VW-buses). Could be that there was a fee for that, but all together we were the only ones in the club with a plus in the end of that season...

;P

The last season we needed to run buses (2008/09) for Altona 93, we had a look on the fixtures in the end of June and asked a bus-company what the price would be for each of the 15(?) tours that season, if we promise to travel with them every time. With those prices we calculated a "bus-season-ticket" - so we had a couple of Euros to deal with in the beginning of the season. The single bus-ticket was a little more expensive, but a lot of people used it. On the buses you could bet on the match and buy cheep drinks - that helped the project as well. I think we cancelled a bus only once (and went with two VW-buses). Could be that there was a fee for that, but all together we were the only ones in the club with a plus in the end of that season...

;P

good advice thanks :).

Think there's a few ideas floating around so once I've spoken to a few people we can see what happens but for the moment.... can't wait for Saturday.....

Would be nice to directly contribute to the club community feel and not leave it all to the people who have been supporting the club for 20 plus years.

Mishi is right. Does anyone know anyone involved in the supporters trust? It's just that any early losses would likely mean it would all fall apart if a small group of individuals are left to fund any gaps (unless the organisers are as dedicated to the coach cause as Shaun). Maybe if we could put forward any suggestions of how to make it consistently viable financially, to the supporters trust they would put their name to it. I joined up not that long ago so must have some contact details somewhere.

Also, has anyone spoken with Shaun? I am guessing whilst he can't enjoy losing money, he kind of needs to want to share responsibility for the coaches before anyone steps into help (and hopefully still be willing to be involved).

The post match fox on the hill party was great on Saturday, probably more likely to have days like this with more people travelling together. Also reckon that if it's clear that the coach is the first option of travel for most fans and is well promoted on here, that lots of the newer fans will be tempted.

Had a chat with a couple of Labour councillors who knocked on my door today.

Although they expressed some concern over the ground situation, they don't really have any intention to do anything except let the planning process take its course. The idea of using Greendale was totally unacceptable according to them and they were not even interested in discussing the possibility of the land being redesignated. Presumably there must be some democratic way of doing that, but that was a road they clearly had no interest in going down.

In fact, looking at the pamphlet they handed out, they (Labour) have explicitly promised to "Secure the long term future of Greendale". Given that it is 100% certain that Labour will have overwhelming majority control of Southwark council, I hold out little hope that that option has any future in the medium term for the club.

In fact, looking at the pamphlet they handed out, they (Labour) have explicitly promised to "Secure the long term future of Greendale". Given that it is 100% certain that Labour will have overwhelming majority control of Southwark council, I hold out little hope that that option has any future in the medium term for the club.
good info thanks for sharing :)

11lottw.png

Back
Top Bottom