Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Speaking of smoke flares....

It looks good...but on the other hand...the referee has reported it and we will be in trouble with the Football Association. I trust whoever set it off will happily pay the fine, and those who thought it should happen more often will join in the whip rounds to pay them...

If that sounds 'killjoy' then so be it...I don't make up the bloody rules!
For the record, I will happily donate. There should be more of this kind of thing, not less, and I am happy to petition the FA regarding rule changes if needs be.

Any idea what the fine will be?

Best not, I might get blamed for letting off a smoke flare (see the unoffical forum to get my drift).

to quote one of the greatest singers of our time (well thats a lie) Shaggy, "It wasn't me" I didnt see who did it i was too busy basking in buckfast to operate anything like!

i dont know who it was....

to quote one of the greatest singers of our time (well thats a lie) Shaggy, "It wasn't me" I didnt see who did it i was too busy basking in buckfast to operate anything like!

i dont know who it was....
In the picture a couple of pages back it looks like it's coming out of your beer!

Whoever it was, they came left to right, placed it on the rail and disappeared into the celebrating scrum. A mystery.

Whoever it was, they came left to right, placed it on the rail and disappeared into the celebrating scrum. A mystery.
To be honest...I'm not too bothered who it was. Although i'm on the committee I'm certainly not going to conduct any sort of 'witchhunt' or ask someone to grass!

I would be interested though, just so we can gently emphasise that it could get the Club in trouble.

Personally I absolutely love pyro's at football...but those that run the game are a bit out of touch, and generally associate such shows of passion as 'hooliganism'.

I'd still like to see the article in full. Please?
Not sure how accurate this is, as in how much they edited/left out/whatever, as I haven't got the actual programme to hand, but this is what I actually emailed them...and it seemed about right:

Hope this is ok, my name is Mishi Morath, I'm 47, and have been following The Hamlet since I was seven!

"Hand on heart….can you tell me the last time you cried at a football match? Not just annoyed, a bit of welling up, gutted type of thing. But a genuine, almost breaking down flood of tears, bawling your eyes out, with nothing you can do to stop?
I suspect there are a number of Wealdstone fans who were shedding tears of joy at the same moment that I was in total despair, the lowest moment of my entire Dulwich Hamlet supporting life. And I say that as a fan man & boy who has been following the Club for forty years now. Yes, it was THAT one off ‘winner takes all’ play-off match back in 2004, when The Hamlet were a goal to the good with only eleven minutes left on the clock and a return to the ‘promised land’ of the Isthmian League Premier Division beckoned. Then a needless free kick was conceded by Lee ‘donkey’ Doherty, inexplicably having a brainstorm, thinking he could play the ball out, instead of hoofing it over the perimeter walls, as had been his trademark all season. From the free kick came the equaliser, and then the heartbreak of a penalty shoot-out, when we hit the crossbar in sudden death that would have got us promoted instead of The Stones. To make matters worse long after the final whistle, as I was leaving the ground, this donkey had the bare faced cheek to say to me that he could hardly hear our support during the game, despite the fact we had tried to sing our hearts out.
Fair play to Wealdstone. Your fans have a ‘bit of a reputation’, I am sure some partly justified, some not. But that night you were superb. Yes, I realise it was YOU who got promoted & not us, but while you all went mental and cracked open the champagne there was time for our fans to be consoled and commiserated, not gloated over. And not all clubs would be able to say that about their fans.
Whilst it was hard to take at the time…sometimes things happen for a reason. Wealdstone have managed not just to hold their place in the Ryman Premier since then, but challenge for promotion in recent years, and look like favourites to clinch the title this season.
Where would we have been if we had won that play-off a decade ago, as the form book intimated we should have done? Well who can say, we can only speculate? But I would suggest we wouldn’t have stayed up as the Stones have. The style of play we had at the time was more functional than exciting, if we are brutally honest, and the vast majority of Hamlet fans from a decade ago didn’t go to matches for the love of the game, the excitement, or the atmosphere. Truth be told I was in my late thirties back then…and one of the younger fans. We attended games just because that’s what we did. There was no real anticipation or buzz to the next fixture.
Fast forward to the present, managers have come and gone…and them along came Gavin Rose. A new manager on the block, having served a ‘part-apprenticeship’ as Youth Team boss at Champion Hill, before moving into senior football at Beckenham Town, followed by a shorter spell at Fisher Athletic. He ran his own footballing academy for youngsters, and started to bring them through The Hamlet First Team, playing an exciting, entertaining, play on the floor type of football that slowly but surely saw crowds rising.
The turning point for me, as a supporter, was the 200/12 season, which finished in two defeats that set the scene for our support that we have today. We reached the Isthmian League Cup final, going down by two goals to nil at Imber Court to Wingate & Finchley, yes we lost but the real joy that night was the unexpected turn out from our fans. Before Gavin arrived on the scene our away following was down to the hardy few, sometimes as low as forty or so at local-ish & easy to get to away games at the likes of Whyteleafe, and struggling to make double figures in numbers at some midweek away clashes. Then, out of nowhere, it seemed like ‘everyone’ was at the final, with over two hundred Hamlet fans singing loud and proud that night.
The end of the season finished with a devastating play-off final defeat at Leatherhead, losing 4-3 after extra time, having been two up, with less than ten minutes left on the clock in normal time. This was what the expression ‘broken hearts’ was invented for, but in defeat this was far more uplifting than the defeat against Wealdstone eight years previous. Long term fans stood with the newcomers, who had discovered their local football club, not from our old working class heartlands of the council estates, but the up and coming middle class ranks of a changing East Dulwich . Together we united as one, well over three hundred of us singing until well after the final whistle. I know I ‘had to’ to stop the tears pouring out once more.
The beauty of these two games was that the newer fans who had no really previously travelled away started to support the Hamlet on the road too, and slowly but surely our fan base grew home and away to the numbers that they are today.
So how has this happened? In truth there is no one definitive answer, quite clearly the wonderful football that Gavin gets his boys to play is the major factor. But as to where the credit goes for the rest..there really is no one attributable factor. In the ‘early days’ the Dulwich Hamlet Supporters Trust paid for an advert in a local very much aimed at the house owning middle class folk free magazine called SE22, which drops through local letterboxes. Some fans are disillusioned former fans of professional sides, either local ones, or exiled from their home towns, who simply want no truck with the modern game. One such fan posts photo-reports on the www.brixtonbuzz.com community website, and that highlights are eclectic fanbase, where young stand with old, ordinary with eccentric, middle class with working class…you get the picture. And if you don’t just check out the blog!
Where else can you get an ‘old skool working class dinosaur’ of a fan like me, part of the ‘original’ Rabble behind the goal; embracing new-veau ‘beardie weirdies’ & assorted Hamlet fans…including one who brings an array of colour with him to games, including his famed Pink and Blue Voodoo Stick? The songs are a mix of traditional terrace & completely off the wall modern. There’s schoolkids alongside men old enough to be their grandfather, & women who are old enough to be their mother! We are all as one…just singing out hearts out, proud to follow Dulwich Hamlet away!
And you know what, I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I don’t care. The most important thing for me is that I am loving every minute of it…and I feel like pinching myself to see if it’s all a weird dream or not. It’s not…it is REAL & I am living the dream! And if the ‘price’ to be paid for that is to be labelled ‘hipsters’ and ‘students’ then so be it. For fans like me realise we are so much more than that.
Edgar Kail in my heart, keep me Dulwich…"

Not sure how accurate this is, as in how much they edited/left out/whatever, as I haven't got the actual programme to hand, but this is what I actually emailed them...and it seemed about right:

Hope this is ok, my name is Mishi Morath, I'm 47, and have been following The Hamlet since I was seven!

"Hand on heart….can you tell me the last time you cried at a football match? Not just annoyed, a bit of welling up, gutted type of thing. But a genuine, almost breaking down flood of tears, bawling your eyes out, with nothing you can do to stop?
I suspect there are a number of Wealdstone fans who were shedding tears of joy at the same moment that I was in total despair, the lowest moment of my entire Dulwich Hamlet supporting life. And I say that as a fan man & boy who has been following the Club for forty years now. Yes, it was THAT one off ‘winner takes all’ play-off match back in 2004, when The Hamlet were a goal to the good with only eleven minutes left on the clock and a return to the ‘promised land’ of the Isthmian League Premier Division beckoned. Then a needless free kick was conceded by Lee ‘donkey’ Doherty, inexplicably having a brainstorm, thinking he could play the ball out, instead of hoofing it over the perimeter walls, as had been his trademark all season. From the free kick came the equaliser, and then the heartbreak of a penalty shoot-out, when we hit the crossbar in sudden death that would have got us promoted instead of The Stones. To make matters worse long after the final whistle, as I was leaving the ground, this donkey had the bare faced cheek to say to me that he could hardly hear our support during the game, despite the fact we had tried to sing our hearts out.
Fair play to Wealdstone. Your fans have a ‘bit of a reputation’, I am sure some partly justified, some not. But that night you were superb. Yes, I realise it was YOU who got promoted & not us, but while you all went mental and cracked open the champagne there was time for our fans to be consoled and commiserated, not gloated over. And not all clubs would be able to say that about their fans.
Whilst it was hard to take at the time…sometimes things happen for a reason. Wealdstone have managed not just to hold their place in the Ryman Premier since then, but challenge for promotion in recent years, and look like favourites to clinch the title this season.
Where would we have been if we had won that play-off a decade ago, as the form book intimated we should have done? Well who can say, we can only speculate? But I would suggest we wouldn’t have stayed up as the Stones have. The style of play we had at the time was more functional than exciting, if we are brutally honest, and the vast majority of Hamlet fans from a decade ago didn’t go to matches for the love of the game, the excitement, or the atmosphere. Truth be told I was in my late thirties back then…and one of the younger fans. We attended games just because that’s what we did. There was no real anticipation or buzz to the next fixture.
Fast forward to the present, managers have come and gone…and them along came Gavin Rose. A new manager on the block, having served a ‘part-apprenticeship’ as Youth Team boss at Champion Hill, before moving into senior football at Beckenham Town, followed by a shorter spell at Fisher Athletic. He ran his own footballing academy for youngsters, and started to bring them through The Hamlet First Team, playing an exciting, entertaining, play on the floor type of football that slowly but surely saw crowds rising.
The turning point for me, as a supporter, was the 200/12 season, which finished in two defeats that set the scene for our support that we have today. We reached the Isthmian League Cup final, going down by two goals to nil at Imber Court to Wingate & Finchley, yes we lost but the real joy that night was the unexpected turn out from our fans. Before Gavin arrived on the scene our away following was down to the hardy few, sometimes as low as forty or so at local-ish & easy to get to away games at the likes of Whyteleafe, and struggling to make double figures in numbers at some midweek away clashes. Then, out of nowhere, it seemed like ‘everyone’ was at the final, with over two hundred Hamlet fans singing loud and proud that night.
The end of the season finished with a devastating play-off final defeat at Leatherhead, losing 4-3 after extra time, having been two up, with less than ten minutes left on the clock in normal time. This was what the expression ‘broken hearts’ was invented for, but in defeat this was far more uplifting than the defeat against Wealdstone eight years previous. Long term fans stood with the newcomers, who had discovered their local football club, not from our old working class heartlands of the council estates, but the up and coming middle class ranks of a changing East Dulwich . Together we united as one, well over three hundred of us singing until well after the final whistle. I know I ‘had to’ to stop the tears pouring out once more.
The beauty of these two games was that the newer fans who had no really previously travelled away started to support the Hamlet on the road too, and slowly but surely our fan base grew home and away to the numbers that they are today.
So how has this happened? In truth there is no one definitive answer, quite clearly the wonderful football that Gavin gets his boys to play is the major factor. But as to where the credit goes for the rest..there really is no one attributable factor. In the ‘early days’ the Dulwich Hamlet Supporters Trust paid for an advert in a local very much aimed at the house owning middle class folk free magazine called SE22, which drops through local letterboxes. Some fans are disillusioned former fans of professional sides, either local ones, or exiled from their home towns, who simply want no truck with the modern game. One such fan posts photo-reports on the www.brixtonbuzz.com community website, and that highlights are eclectic fanbase, where young stand with old, ordinary with eccentric, middle class with working class…you get the picture. And if you don’t just check out the blog!
Where else can you get an ‘old skool working class dinosaur’ of a fan like me, part of the ‘original’ Rabble behind the goal; embracing new-veau ‘beardie weirdies’ & assorted Hamlet fans…including one who brings an array of colour with him to games, including his famed Pink and Blue Voodoo Stick? The songs are a mix of traditional terrace & completely off the wall modern. There’s schoolkids alongside men old enough to be their grandfather, & women who are old enough to be their mother! We are all as one…just singing out hearts out, proud to follow Dulwich Hamlet away!
And you know what, I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I don’t care. The most important thing for me is that I am loving every minute of it…and I feel like pinching myself to see if it’s all a weird dream or not. It’s not…it is REAL & I am living the dream! And if the ‘price’ to be paid for that is to be labelled ‘hipsters’ and ‘students’ then so be it. For fans like me realise we are so much more than that.
Edgar Kail in my heart, keep me Dulwich…"

well written Dulwich Mishi great piece :)

On an individual legal basis, the use of flares and other pyros is so prohibited that even taking an un-used un-packed sparkler (y'know, those weapons of mass destruction brandished by 5 years olds on the 5th of November) on public transport heading towards a game is an arrestable offence with a likely long-term football banning order (not sure if that's actually been enforced at this level or lower, maybe up north, Joe K will know). However, I have been told that on the football club level, the referee can only report what goes on during the game, so flares before kick-off, during half-time and after kick-off are in this limbo of much better for the club but still a (totally jumped up, ridiculous) illegal act by the individual.

Back
Top Bottom