Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

I count 3, with 1 of them - Bromley - likely to be promoted.

It's actually just two at the moment: Bromley and Sutton, one or both of whom may be promoted.

Hayes & Yeading are currently groundsharing at Woking, and will be groundsharing at Maidenhead for the start of next season. They are hoping to redevelop the old Yeading ground and to move in there some time during next season, but it's on an industrial estate between Hayes and Southall and a good 30 minutes walk from either station, and over ten minutes walk from the nearest bus stops on the Uxbridge Road. As you say Wealdstone are looking nailed on to be there next season.

I've been to most of the grounds in the past and I'd say as a whole the division is less appealing than our current one from an "awayday" point of view. Basingstoke, Havant and Borehamwood are among the places I was hoping never to have to revisit before I die!

Regarding last night's results: generally helpful, but Lowestoft's 7-0 win looks a bit ominous. They've slipped under the radar a bit this season ever since we turned them over on the opening day, but they've been losing play off finalists for the last three seasons. It's essential that we finish ahead of them as I don't fancy having to go there for an away play off game.

It's essential that we finish ahead of them as I don't fancy having to go there for an away play off game.

Yeah, not keen on another trip to Lowestoft, it was pretty miserable last time out. If we did though, April/May would certainly be nicer than 21st of December.

Not a bad result, getting a point away from home against a pretty solid side. It was nice to claw our way back into the game and get the equaliser, rather than throwing away a lead. We might want to think about how we present ourselves though, as one person from their forums had this to say about us:

"Quite like these people but not surprising really as this was Margaret thatchers constituency,lovely lady who hated lazy lefty fckwits"
:D

Not a bad result, getting a point away from home against a pretty solid side. It was nice to claw our way back into the game and get the equaliser, rather than throwing away a lead. We might want to think about how we present ourselves though, as one person from their forums had this to say about us:

"Quite like these people but not surprising really as this was Margaret thatchers constituency,lovely lady who hated lazy lefty fckwits"
:D

haha I'm not sure what they mean? they seemed like a good bunch .....had some loud vocal support which was nice to hear for a change...

Phil being back i think is a HUGE boost.... even though we didnt have the usual back four, with Peter playing on the right (who I thought was fantastic btw).. the defence looked much more organised and solid. This is so important now going into an "easier" run of games not to let silly goals that cost us three points.

I'd say, just for now, we have enough songs. Having too many at one time can have an negative effect. Like wives of a mythical King, we must pluck each song delicately - these are ripe succulent fruits, not mere apples.
Too many songs confuses people to be honest, some work, some don't. Trial & error I suppose. it should be quality more important than quantity. No such thing as 'too many songs', but there are clearly some that work better than others, and i wouldn't really like to see more songs just for the sake of us being 'wacky'.'alternative', whatever. It's all very well having a good laugh with an 'in-crowd' of a few mates, but...we are there to support the team and gee them up, so the more popular ones MUST be sung...as that's what fans do...get behind the team.

And also how often you sing them during a game, my personal viewpoint is that short bursts, more frequent, are more effective. Apart from 'pinkarmy/blue army' 'we are the pink and blue army' sort of thing, to carry one tune on for longer loses it's effectiveness, as it tires vocal chords, whereas brief resting in between tunes, and differing ones uses different muscles(?-don't know the medical term!) when singing. Also, the lengthy 'Gavin Rose's Pink and Blue army' I think, should really only be sung toward the end of the game, as our 'signing off' win, lose or draw. And once started should be continued.

I thought last night the support was again superb, but drifted off toward the last ten minutes, as people started drifting a yard or two apart. To be effective we need that 'singing solidarity' of standing together, and if we are fortunate enough to be away where there is a roof, then we need to maximise the accoustics by all being under it, rather than some at the front, where the sound from the singing isn't as effective.

Anyway that's my take, I'm sure some of you will disagree. bottom line is I just find a lot of the new stuff awkward to learn, as i'm not really into music, so am at a bit of a disadvantage to start with, compared to the rest of you... ;-)

"I think in a perverse way it helped us that he didn't start last night although the rumours circulating were that he was being punished for turning up late tonight."

He wasn't late...he was on the team coach, he's carrying an injury, and has been for several weeks, as I understand it. He's not fully fit.

haha I'm not sure what they mean? they seemed like a good bunch .....had some loud vocal support which was nice to hear for a change...
When she was in power Thatcher owned one o those big new build gated properties along Dulwich Common, not far from Dulwich College. Apparently she didn't stay there much, as it was a security nightmare, and (possibly, an urban rumour!) she didn't like driving to and from there from Downing Street, as she didn't like seeing so many black people, or something like that!

Wherever I went, all over the country, when I told people that i support Dulwich Hamlet I'd be met with the comment "Isn't that where Maggie's from?" to which I'd retort: "No that's the posh bit in the Village. Our ground is by the council estates in East Dulwich, which is in between Brixton & Peckham"...at which point their jaws would invariably drop...

Phil makes a massive difference to the team. It's not just about his ability, it's a lot to do with his presence.
Hope he's it or Saturday. He took a knock fairly late in the second half, which needed several minutes of treatment. Not his shoulder, as he was limping in the bar afterwards. Fingers crossed it's not too bad...

When she was in power Thatcher owned one o those big new build gated properties along Dulwich Common, not far from Dulwich College. Apparently she didn't stay there much, as it was a security nightmare, and (possibly, an urban rumour!) she didn't like driving to and from there from Downing Street, as she didn't like seeing so many black people, or something like that!

Wherever I went, all over the country, when I told people that i support Dulwich Hamlet I'd be met with the comment "Isn't that where Maggie's from?" to which I'd retort: "No that's the posh bit in the Village. Our ground is by the council estates in East Dulwich, which is in between Brixton & Peckham"...at which point their jaws would invariably drop...

yeah i know ha I was talking more about the lefty lazy fuckwits bit... :)

Does sound like an urban rumour although wouldn't be surprised... and it probably should be re told as fact...

As a casual observer of this thread (hoping I'll get to a game before the end of the season), I'd just like you all to know that I've had "Upside down, Ian Daly" in my head for the last 48 hours :mad: :D

I spend all my time now muttering dulwich songs to myself as I go about my everyday life.... you'll get used to it and in the end come to appreciate it and in fact it will actually add something to your life a sense of purpose, enjoyment and general relief from the drudgery of normal life.. that's if you can deal with all the odd looks from people in iceland while dancing and singing to yourself

Will we get a mrs mills band performance of any dulwich songs one day?

She was from Grantham anyway, irrespective of where she may or may not have lived for a while.

I spend all my time now muttering dulwich songs to myself as I go about my everyday life.... you'll get used to it and in the end come to appreciate it and in fact it will actually add something to your life a sense of purpose, enjoyment and general relief from the drudgery of normal life.. that's if you can deal with all the odd looks from people in iceland while dancing and singing to yourself

Will we get a mrs mills band performance of any dulwich songs one day?

I'm guessing it's inevitable at some stage :D

i think you're not looking at the same league table as me...play-offs for us could well not be decided until the last day of the season, and we could just as easily be one of those to drop out of the places for them...
I'm an FC United fan so posted that league as we went top last night for the first time (although will probably go back down to second tonight).

Went to your game away at Lewes as I was nearby and wanted to see what the Hamlet was like (after hearing and reading good reports on here). Will try and get to a home game before the end of the season.

I'm an FC United fan so posted that league as we went top last night for the first time (although will probably go back down to second tonight).

Went to your game away at Lewes as I was nearby and wanted to see what the Hamlet was like (after hearing and reading good reports on here). Will try and get to a home game before the end of the season.

Great meeting you at Lewes! Come down .....we'll be back to winning ways soon.....

so was thinking for Saturday and the trip up there I am going to head to the albert in Brixton for a couple then get tube to the game.... If anyone wants to join me and get a good group of people for the tube up there then please join :) might even bump into some premiership fans again :)

Back
Top Bottom