Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dry clean only velvet curtains washed - ruined?

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
Okay, so ages ago, while I was away, a 'friend' who stayed in my flat 'helpfully' put some dry clean only taupe/mushroom coloured velvet curtains in the washing machine, and they've been ruined, they kind of look a bit stained, the plush is a bit darker in patches.

I left them up because I was away a lot and didn't get round to it, but now I'm home I need to sort it out.

I bought some inoffensively plain cheap mocha coloured curtains from Argos as a temporary replacement (I'm planning on redecorating and don't know what colour scheme to go for in the longer term).

But I like the colour of the velvet ones. The velvet ones also randomly happen to match a couple of chairs. What would happen if I put them in for dry cleaning? Would they come out like new? What would happen if I washed them again in the washer and ironed them or something?

You could try putting them through a rinse cycle, they might still be full of detergent cos of the 'fluffyness' of velvet.

they are probaly fucked though in truth :(

Take the curtains to a good dry cleaner, explain what happened and let them sort it out.

If you absolutely have to wash velvet curtains: Take them to a commercial launderer (the sort which does hotel stuff).

If you can't afford that, or can't find one....
Cool wash, short as poss with minimal detergent, shake (without touching the gorund) and hang while damp. If they're large (full length or full width), wash one curtain at a time so that they get enough water and space to move.

Don't understand why they're goosed. I wash my velvet curtains in the machine every year and they're ok. They go on a low temp wash gentle spin and blow dry outisde, maybe that makes a difference??

I don't know why they're 'goosed' since I wasn't around when he did it so don't know what temperature they were washed at or how much detergent he used. Oh, I've just thought of something that might be relevant - it's a washer/dryer, so he might have tumble dried them.

There are many different kinds of velvet

Cotton velvet is often OK being washed but move expensive velvets are ofter silk / viscose mixes and these are ruined once immersed in water.

I have a gorgeous Mulberry velvet scarf in silk / viscose mix and foolishly got water on it and the pile is flattened and all shiny. I have taken advice from various authorities, the most consistent of which was to steam the affected area while brushing with a baby's hairbrush. This did not work on my lovely scarf and if your curtains are not a simple cotton velvet then it will probably not work on them either.

Based on what I learned about this, you could try using a steamer, or at a push a kettle, to steam a small area and brush it and see if the pile springs back.

I suppose you've also got nothing to lose by washing one again and seeing what happens.

Do you know what the fabric is?

Back
Top Bottom