Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Washing dry-clean only fabric: what's the worst that can happen?

Yes, when I say "dry cleaning doesn't get this out" I mean, I've dry cleaned them in the past, and it hasn't got it out.

Today I took them once again to the dry cleaners, a different dry cleaners, and they warned me that there were certain things they couldn't promise to get out. I shall see the results in a couple of days. And then I'll decide whether I want to attempt some kind of intervention of my own.

Yes, when I say "dry cleaning doesn't get this out" I mean, I've dry cleaned them in the past, and it hasn't got it out.

Today I took them once again to the dry cleaners, a different dry cleaners, and they warned me that there were certain things they couldn't promise to get out. I shall see the results in a couple of days. And then I'll decide whether I want to attempt some kind of intervention of my own.
I got confused by your OP as you said other people had dry cleaned things and had poor results, not you

I have some seat cushion covers, made from a version of this material, which is marked as dry clean only:

Some of these have had things like red wine spilt on them, by people who are not me I would like to add, in the past, and dry cleaning doesn't get this out.

So - I am inclined to try and wash them in water - probably quite cautiously to start with, with cold water and minimal cleaning stuff. What's the worst that's likely to happen - and is it worse than having something with a five year old red wine stain on it? For example, might they shrink, or something?
The thing to do is get some red wine and stain them all over

Brilliant minds think alike. I only saw the thread a minute ago, so you've no justification for claiming he's quicker witted than me. You've had these cushions years and years and not thought of it so you're really really slow-witted
This simply evidences your negligence in not reading the thread before splurging your thoughts all over it.

No it doesn't. There's nowhere on this thread you say to either farmerbarleymow or me that you thought of staining them with red wine years back
Yes it does. You could not even be bothered to read a few posts into the thread, to the point where you would have found farmerbarleymow delivering the joke that you were so eager to put forth yourself. The disrespect that this shows you have for all posters on this site is a disgrace.

Yes it does. You could not even be bothered to read a few posts into the thread, to the point where you would have found farmerbarleymow delivering the joke that you were so eager to put forth yourself. The disrespect that this shows you have for all posters on this site is a disgrace.
No, no it doesn't. It does more than that as anyone able to understand the third sentence will tell you. You seem to be getting apoplectic over this - calm down dear, it's only a bulletin board

I’d ensure there was sufficient white wine available at your future soirées teuchter to neutralise any potential red wine spillage

For future cushion purchases consider this one perhaps

No, no it doesn't. It does more than that as anyone able to understand the third sentence will tell you. You seem to be getting apoplectic over this - calm down dear, it's only a bulletin board
It's only right to become apoplectic about fellow forum members being disrespected.

Except when they do not deserve respect. So it's not that often I get to be apoplectic but this is one time that I do.

It's only right to become apoplectic about fellow forum members being disrespected.

Except when they do not deserve respect. So it's not that often I get to be apoplectic but this is one time that I do.
I suppose those times you disrespect other board members they deserve it

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the days when you got 'Dabitoff'? It contained trichloroethylene which is bloody toxic.

don't remember that.

i'm told that the old carbon tetrachloride fire extinguishers tended to be used by policemen (they had fire extinguishers in the old police boxes) for getting stains off their uniform jackets. don't know if busmen did similar (again, buses carried them until the late 50s or 60s)

255px-Carbon_tetrachloride_1930s_fire_extinguisher.jpg

(historic terms used intentionally)

Back
Top Bottom