Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drones - amazing videos, discussion, reviews and more

Drone racing looks wow.

Proper multi-faceted challenge. The skill of the racing, but also the engineering. You make your racer.

FPV headset where you’re seeing the real world, not a render.

And the audience can FPV with you, or watch from the outside.

Are you allowed to program it to fly it it's self

Depends on the drone - my CAA permissions let me fly machines up to 20kg which handle high winds much better than something weighing as little as a FPV racer (<700g ish) or a Phantom. For commercial purposes you have to go by the manufacturers specs for max wind speeds in the manual, but as I build my own drones I can decide what is the limit and submit that to the CAA as part of my operations manual... realistically though I wouldn't bother flying in wind over about 15MPH (13 point something knots!?) as the footage would likely be shakey and rubbish due to the gimbal being unable to keep the camera steady. I have still flown in 50MPH gusts on top of mountains when the client demanded it though... the other answer is to fly up to whatever conditions make you feel unsafe or not fully in control of the craft.

There is a great app called UAVforecast that gives you realtime weather status on whether it's good to fly or not
Wow, that's amazing. You are Professor Drone, basically :cool:

Any chance of some pics please? Of and by your drones :thumbs:

Are you allowed to program it to fly it it's self

Not in an FPV race condition, and if you did it wouldn't be able to beat a human pilot with current technology - automated missions are a big part of aerial survey and photogrammetry work though for slower more precise and repeatable use cases.

Just discovered an interesting thing.

Never disable GPS, then leave your drone running on low to discharge the batteries - Ours suddenly decided to do a "return to home" - all by itself, in the office!

Cue myself an a colleague hitting the decks as it careened around the office at nose height and three sets of wrecked blades when it finally found a way to earth after bouncing off a few walls, macs, filing cabinets etc...!

At least blades only cost around eight quid a pair! :oops:

Just discovered an interesting thing.

Never disable GPS, then leave your drone running on low to discharge the batteries - Ours suddenly decided to do a "return to home" - all by itself, in the office!

Cue myself an a colleague hitting the decks as it careened around the office at nose height and three sets of wrecked blades when it finally found a way to earth after bouncing off a few walls, macs, filing cabinets etc...!

At least blades only cost around eight quid a pair! :oops:

I thought you didn't need to discharge lithium ion batteries?

I thought you didn't need to discharge lithium ion batteries?
They tend to be LiPo (lithium polymer), and they shouldn't be stored at full charge.

I have one or twelve of these too. What I did discover is the first time you use goggles and fly FPV, you should make 100% certain that your goggles are tuned in correctly to the transmitter, and not just on a channel that's bleeding through.That was an expensive 30 seconds :facepalm:

I've built all of my own. I think I actually prefer building them to flying them. I'm currently working on one with 4X 26cc Zenoah petrol engines :D

They tend to be LiPo (lithium polymer), and they shouldn't be stored at full charge.

I have one or twelve of these too. What I did discover is the first time you use goggles and fly FPV, you should make 100% certain that your goggles are tuned in correctly to the transmitter, and not just on a channel that's bleeding through.That was an expensive 30 seconds :facepalm:

I've built all of my own. I think I actually prefer building them to flying them. I'm currently working on one with 4X 26cc Zenoah petrol engines :D

Good advice re: checking your vtx and goggle frequency are set correctly - very easy mistake to make and also once the vtx or antenna gets damaged they can start pumping out signals on a wider range of frequencies than just the one selected, or have very unpredictable range and radiation patterns. I'm a big fan of a diversity setup on goggles with a good omni antenna like the TBS triumph combined with a more directional helical or patch antenna for longer range flights.

As for using petrol engines over electric, are you going for fixed pitch or variable? The best results I've seen with IC engines on multirotors is using a single engine to power all the blades via drive belts and using variable pitch prop setups like you'd find on a traditional rc Heli. Have you seen the Curtis Youngblood stingray setup?

Good advice re: checking your vtx and goggle frequency are set correctly - very easy mistake to make and also once the vtx or antenna gets damaged they can start pumping out signals on a wider range of frequencies than just the one selected, or have very unpredictable range and radiation patterns. I'm a big fan of a diversity setup on goggles with a good omni antenna like the TBS triumph combined with a more directional helical or patch antenna for longer range flights.

As for using petrol engines over electric, are you going for fixed pitch or variable? The best results I've seen with IC engines on multirotors is using a single engine to power all the blades via drive belts and using variable pitch prop setups like you'd find on a traditional rc Heli. Have you seen the Curtis Youngblood stingray setup?

I have 4 or 5 spare heads here for the Trex 700 helis, so I'll most likely (haven't decided 100% yet) be using those and a variable pitch. I'll be easier to set up for me, as I came from an RC heli background, and I do like the sound of an IC engine (or 4) on idle up position 3 :D

I haven't seen Curtis' setup. I'll have a look on the tube now :thumbs:

postie with the drone on the Isle of Mull

Royal Mail:

Introducing our newest member of the fleet! Our exciting drone trial will help deliver to some of the most remote parts of the British Isles with help from @what3words to pinpoint a location anywhere in the UK.

When we were last badly flooded in October 2019 a man came down to the waters edge with a couple of drones and made some very pretty photos and videos of the flooded village and landscape.

Great for photo work, an amazing viewpoint, but out of my budget for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom