Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Dream Vision (smartphone) VR Headset - any decent apps/uses?

NoXion

Craicy the Squirrel
So I got one of these headsets a couple of years ago at a workplace Secret Santa, but at the time I acquired it my phone was an ancient piece of junk, so it's been gathering dust since then.

Today I've finally taken it out its box and checked that the phone I got last November fits, and it does. I followed the enclosed QR to the official site, but the selection there looks a bit crap.

As a possibly unintended additional feature, I've discovered that a piece of black plastic can be removed from the front of the visor without breaking it, thus exposing a couple of the cameras on my phone when it is mounted inside the headset as per the instructions. This opens up further possibilities of using augmented reality (AR) functions, which is kind of exciting.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to do with this?

I'm currently investigating the instructions on this Reddit page to see if I can use the headset with my PC. I've managed to reach the point of launching SteamVR/iVRy, but it's asking me to "press the Y button your controller to begin". But I'm not a console peasant, I don't have a controller!

I think it's a case of you get what you pay for - it's cheap Chinese shite. You're literally limited to the apps on their website, and that's it. It will only work with a phone, and then only with the company's app (and I'd be careful with anything Chinese... I bet all the apps contain spyware and everything you do would be monitored by the CCP. Perhaps I'm being (slightly) paranoid, but you can't be too careful. They make all this cheap shite, sell it in the West, and you're unwittingly signing yourself up for...reeducation - or something...).

You can't expect much for £12.47!

Back
Top Bottom