Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you put your cat and/or dog bowls in the dishwasher?

Do you put pet bowls in the dishwaher

• Total voters
Pet food & water bowls, plus the bird feeders are regularly washed. The dishwasher does the best, cleanest & sterilising job out of the various possible options.
However, they usually go in as a load on their own, as we have a small, bench-top machine. That's all we have space for in the kitchen.

I would but the way the bowls are shaped, they fill up with water whichever way they go in. So generally just do it in the sink to save throwing manky dishwasher water all over the kitchen floor.

But apart from that, don't in general see a problem with it.

Yes the cat bowls do go in the dishwasher. The food we give him doesn't smell remotely bad so it doesn't bother me at all.

I had my beloved dog for 17.5 years.
Washed her bowl in the sink as we didnt have a dishwasher.
It was always washed separately though and in the sink as opposed to the basin in the sink.

That's an expensive and not particularly efficient storage cupboard you've got there :D
Expensive yes, but we never use it for its intended purpose so otherwise it’d just literally be a complete waste of space

Last edited:
No option for “I would happily do this but my wife doesn’t like the idea and it’s not a battle I care to fight”?
This, only male partner not wife.

My OH has only just stopped putting the cats' bowls in a plastic tank full of water, outside!

We just wash them in the sink, separately from other things. Even though there's only two of us, there's rarely room in the dishwasher for cat bowls anyway.

Those who wash pet bowls separately though - why? Is it because of the food, or the pet saliva?

I wash my dog's bowls in the sink because they're glazed and I don't want them to crack.
Also my dishwasher has packed up and I too use it as storage but for my numerous baking pans and so on.

Those who wash pet bowls separately though - why? Is it because of the food, or the pet saliva?
Might be a thing, but my dogs have dry food so I guess that makes a difference. Oh, and gravy bones for a treat, which have a jar and smell so nice I've been tempted once or twice :D

To me, I'm scared of the bacteria that grow on room temperature gravy that's been licked by a cat that also licks it's arse.

I want those bugs to touch as little as possible. So wanging them in a hot cupboard full of soapy water even with other stuff is fine with me.

As soon as you start adding water (leaving things to soak - ugh,) and leaving stuff on sides, draining boards etc you're adding a nice growth medium for the bugs that can easily be splashed around, including into porus surfaces like wooden worktops and dishcloths. No thanks.

1.jpg

In a related animal/appliance interaction recently, one of the cats pissed in the toaster.

This only became apparent to me when I was making breakfast and started to notice the most revolting smell. Cat piss smells vile anyway but I cannot begin to describe the stench of burning cat piss, it will haunt me forever. It just kept getting stronger and I could not fathom where it was coming from until I heard this sizzling, popping kind of sound from the toaster. Gutted! I had to strip the toaster down to every last component, it took ages. I put every piece through the dishwasher except the elements and electronics, which I soaked in isopropanol. Then carefully dried everything out and reassembled.

2.jpg

As you can see, the dishwasher fucked the finish on the cast aluminium end parts but I think it looks nice like that. Also was pretty tense switching it on the the first time because if the isopropanol hadn't completely dried then the whole lot would have just burst into flames. Luckily it didn't and the toaster works good as new. My partner thinks I'm insane for not just buying a new toaster and the cats are no longer allowed in the kitchen unattended.

In summary:
Dogs - Useful kitchen helpers
Cats - Devious pissing breakfast saboteurs

In a related animal/appliance interaction recently, one of the cats pissed in the toaster.

This only became apparent to me when I was making breakfast and started to notice the most revolting smell. Cat piss smells vile anyway but I cannot begin to describe the stench of burning cat piss, it will haunt me forever. It just kept getting stronger and I could not fathom where it was coming from until I heard this sizzling, popping kind of sound from the toaster. Gutted! I had to strip the toaster down to every last component, it took ages. I put every piece through the dishwasher except the elements and electronics, which I soaked in isopropanol. Then carefully dried everything out and reassembled.

View attachment 320651

As you can see, the dishwasher fucked the finish on the cast aluminium end parts but I think it looks nice like that. Also was pretty tense switching it on the the first time because if the isopropanol hadn't completely dried then the whole lot would have just burst into flames. Luckily it didn't and the toaster works good as new. My partner thinks I'm insane for not just buying a new toaster and the cats are no longer allowed in the kitchen unattended.

In summary:
Dogs - Useful kitchen helpers
Cats - Devious pissing breakfast saboteurs
I dropped an unlidded bottle of Benylin into my 4 slice matte silver Breville toaster and, though it broke my heart, just chucked it.

Back
Top Bottom