Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you put your cat and/or dog bowls in the dishwasher?

Do you put pet bowls in the dishwaher

• Total voters
The boyfriend I had in my late teens his family had a dog and they used to put the dog bowls in their dishwasher and I swear everything that came out of it smelled of dog mouth.

Maybe dishwashers/detergents are better these days and that doesn't happen, but it was a bit off-putting. I don't think they noticed because the dog used to lick their faces a lot anyway.

My Nana's dog didn't have a bowl, they just gave him his food in a normal bowl then washed it up. It turned my stomach.

But in answer. I don't. But I would for my pets. The nuggets the guinea pigs eat are effectively grass, vitamins and nice smelling flavourings.

Last edited:
I have neither a dog nor a dishwasher but instinctively would answer 'ew no'. When I lived at home and we had dogs and cats we always washed their bowls last after all the humans' stuff then poured the water away.

I'm now wondering which pets would have a nasty bowl that couldn't be properly cleaned by a dishwasher. Do any pets have a dirty mouth that could spread infection if not cleaned at a high enough temperature? (Sorry weepiper, my post wasn't in relation to what you posted above)

I suppose the next question is do you wash the dogs towel in the washing machine?

Last edited:
The cat eats biscuits only from a bowl which we never wash. Nor do we wash his water bowl. He’s 12 and very healthy. I wouldn’t fancy washing his bowls in the dishwasher or by hand if he ate wet food! The smell makes me retch.

I put the cats bowl in every morning. It's never more than a day old and it feels to me like a hot thorough wash in the dishwasher is more hygienic than slopping it around the sink and draining board even after everything else.

I once saw someone let a slobbery big dog lick out the dish of a fish pie before putting it in the dishwasher. Pre wash they called it. Fucking rank more like.

I have a cat and yes his food bowl goes in the dishwasher. I have 2 and change them every day. So they get changed over in the morning and washed that day. He only has biscuits though.
Surely a dishwasher is more hygienic than using the same dishcloth?
When he does have wet food (only very occasionally, he's on a special diet and the wet food version is cripplingly expensive) I rinse it first but he loves it so much is usually incredibly clean from him anyway.
I don't like using the same fork for pet food, and I don't put his water bowl in the dishwasher.

My bet bowls? I didn't even know they played cricket. :eek: :D

They get washed in the sink, always have. Never even thought about putting them in the dishwasher.

Yes, cat bowls go on the dishwasher and sometimes the cat eats from human bowls.

What's the worry about pet bowls? That the pet food is particularly dirty or that the pet has licked the bowl?

The cat has licked many things in my house so maybe I just don't care any more.

Sometimes I let Larry clean a plate, if it looks appetising. He cleans them very thoroughly and I wash them up in the sink with hot water! Still they are pretty slobbery which isn't very pleasant.

/dog slobber :(

Back
Top Bottom