Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you or do you aspire to hold any ceremonial roles?

Hollis

bloody furious
Currently none. But an afternoon in the pub with the local town crier in Cornwall got me thinking...

Been investigating my options - best seems to be becoming a Freeman of my local Worshipful Company.. Can't quite figure out what the admissions criteria are - generally being a good cheese and wanting to engage in charitable endeavours..

Any experiences or aspirations from the Urban community?

:)

Last edited:
I really want to be the 3rd man in the ring for the biggest mega-fight in the history of Boxing. I even have my original catchphrase ready for when the fight is about to start, the very last instruction before battle.

apart from that no ambition.

Dejazmatch of Gara Mulatta.

Which I believe is a career path for King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the tribe of Juddah Jah Rastafari.

Just because that's how I'd quite like to be addressed, be quite cool having people say that to you.

Doubt I'll get the gig though.

:weed:

Was interesting talkin' to the town crier - economics has even hit that industry - with them doubling up to do more than one town.

:(

I really want to be the 3rd man in the ring for the biggest mega-fight in the history of Boxing. I even have my original catchphrase ready for when the fight is about to start, the very last instruction before battle.

apart from that no ambition.

It's a really shame - I'm sure you'd make a first-class local dignatory.

:(

Currently none. But an afternoon in the pub with the local town crier in Cornwall got me thinking...

Been investigating my options - best seems to be becoming a Freeman of my local Worshipful Company.. Can't quite figure out what the admissions criteria are - generally being a good cheese and wanting to engage in charitable endeavours..

Any experiences or aspirations from the Urban community?

:)
It's been made pretty clear to me that when I fulfil the residency requirements, in around six months' time, I will be invited to become a Burgess at the Court of the Portreeve, here in Laugharne. No robes, but apparently I get to go on the waiting list for a field.

A bit of historeh: How a Welsh town continues its 700-year-old medieval tradition

Will you accept?
Yes. It's quite an honour, especially with me being a Sais, and I think a refusal would be rather impolite. And it's not as if I have far to go - the Corporation building is essentially my next-door neighbour :)

Judging by the scruffs I see going in and out, there are no robes. Though the Portreeve does get (temporarily) to wear the collar covered in golden cockles, and reputedly worth a six figure sum...

Daughter yet to establish herself as benign dictator of the universe so I've got a bit of time to come up with one. Hierophant of Costa Rica or something.

I learnt yesterday that there’s a long history in UK law of being tried by your peers and Magistrates that do the majority of court judgements are all volunteers. And you can be one at any age (although it’s unusual under 40). I was really surprised.

Yes. It's quite an honour, especially with me being a Sais, and I think a refusal would be rather impolite. And it's not as if I have far to go - the Corporation building is essentially my next-door neighbour :)

Judging by the scruffs I see going in and out, there are no robes. Though the Portreeve does get (temporarily) to wear the collar covered in golden cockles, and reputedly worth a six figure sum...
Not bothered by the fact that it's discriminatory insofar as it's men only?

I trust in your acceptance speech you will provide approprate homage to William Fitz Baldwin (dec'd), the honourable Sheriff of Devon.

I learnt yesterday that there’s a long history in UK law of being tried by your peers and Magistrates that do the majority of court judgements are all volunteers. And you can be one at any age (although it’s unusual under 40). I was really surprised.
I used to work with someone who was a magistrate (female and under 40 so pretty unusual I think. Also smart and kind and sensible). Sure they could do with more people like her

Yeah, it's a bit weird to say the least. We should all apply to be a magistrate and subvert justice. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom