Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you know the weather forecast before you choose what to wear?

Cloo

Approved by toads
I always have at least a vague idea what the weather's going to be like before I get dressed - eg I'll know if the forecast is stable for the next few days or likely to be changeable, in which case I will check each day, cos I hate wearing the wrong thing. Some people seem to be just 'It's summer so shorts and t-shirt, it's winter so trousers and jumper (TBF, you can't really go wrong with the latter in the UK). I think my son is finally growing out of just assuming it's hot because the sky is blue between about May and October.

In the summer over here it is common to have 4 climates in one day. So if I go out, I will usually carry an umbrella and a roll up rain jacket in my bag.

In the winter I always have a hooded coat and scarf with an umbrella. I cannot cope with cold weather without good warm boots and decent socks.

It's autumn that catches me out. Suddenly cold and next day warm. I usually wear a few layers that can be removed as and when the weather dictates.

It's autumn that catches me out. Suddenly cold and next day warm. I usually wear a few layers that can be removed as and when the weather dictates.
Spring and autumn are a pain - especially just as the season is changing.

I think I have in my head that British seasons are: Spring March-May (but sometimes hardly happens at all and sometimes March is still winter) Summer June-August (but can extend into September); Autumn September - November (but winter can start in November); Winter December - February.

Check the temperature around this time of year in case it's a bit nippy going out really early, so might need a light jacket.

Generally though between May and September it's just shorts and a T-shirt 7 days a week, with no weather forecasts involved. :)

Most of the time if the weather is changeable I check the forecast last thing at night.

The main variation in my clothing is whether I take a raincoat or not.

It is quite tricky to tell if it is lightly raining from my windows so sometimes I get caught out.

Most of the time I wear t-shirts and pants switching to shorts if it's warm. Sometimes I go really mad and don't bother with socks. Checking the weather forecast it depends on how far I am going, Short distances and short times, I look out the window. Longer distances I do check mostly if it's going to rain. If going for a weekend away then will check the weather for the whole weekend and plan accordingly.
The main clothing related reason I check the weather is to decide whether or not to hang the washing outside or on the clothes horse to dry.

I obsessively check the weather on different apps.
Pretty much each time I unlock my phone to do something I end up checking the weather, for today and the coming days/weeks.
I would be interested as to how many times I do look at the weather each day. Is there a way of looking at that (without actually keeping a tally with pen and paper)?

I suppose on top of all the other neuroses I have weather based anxiety.

I hate the hot weather and dread the summer.
I thought I had got off light this summer but the next week is going to be tough.

But also my flat is freezing in the winter and I hate the juggle of the cost of heating as well as keeping on top of mould (which I don't keep on top of) and not being miserably cold.
I suppose that bit ^^ applies to most of us though.

I feel sorry for people who get cold easy (in the uk) i run hot so am fine in a t-shirt most of the year (so long as i'm moving) don't give a fuck about rain either.

Shorts, t shirt or short sleeved shirt (find myself preferring these as I get older) and crocs are my summer outfit.

Have always thought someone who takes carries anywhere they go an umbrella must be an eternal pessimist

varies with my planned activities.
If necessary, ie I have planned an outing, I will check both the view from the window / our barometer and the Met Office website.

Tends to be a multi-layer approach for clothes etc, so I can have options. I prefer to be overdressed as I rarely get overheated, but I have poor circulation and once I've got cold I have trouble getting really warm again. Usually, I can operate my fingers in conditions such as wet / cold motorcycling that lock up most peoples' extremities.
I also carry a "rainpod" type waterproof, sometimes in addition to the normal coat / fleece / sweatshirt, even when carrying rather than wearing said outer layer.

Do you all trust the weather forecast enough to rely on it for decisions?
I know I don’t.

I‘ll check the long range forecast and the trends etc for festivals and camping trips but in any event I assume it’ll either be fair or foul, and prepare for both.

When preparing to leave the house I stick my bare arms out the window or step outside for a moment and look at the sky, sniff the air, feel the wind and go from there. But all that is secondary to other factors like destination and mode of travel. Will I be indoors, will it be airconned or heated, will I be able to stash my coat somewhere, will it be nighttime when I leave etc.

Even in a heatwave I’ll take something with me that will keep me warm if the weather breaks. Big silk scarves pack down really small and double as cover from the stinging heat. And I can use them to carry stuff I’ve found or foraged too.
When it’s cold I wear singlets/vests so I can strip off top layers if it gets hotter.

I live at work now so mostly dress for the current weather. Might bring a jacket with me if it's been showery on & off or I know the wind's to pick up later or I'll be outside till late, buthalf the time I end up going back out in the dark to collect the jacket I've left in the polytunnel or a field.

Working outdoors all year means I'm used I checking a few forecasts every morning and throughout the day though, both from when I had to travel to work and now planning what jobs I'll do when. Often they'll all say it's currently dry and to stay that way all day, but looking out the window shows it's raining and not likely to stop for a while :rolleyes:

If I'm going further than the local shops I'll either be wearing sunscreen or have some with me from about the start of April through to the end of October, and take a waterproof jacket all year round unless I'm really sure it'll be hot and still all day.

I don’t have a raincoat, just hoodies or jackets. I ride a bike a lot so used to getting wet. 🤷‍♀️
Getting wet while you're exercising is different though, especially if you're able to change into something dry after. I've had old waterproof trousers just suddenly completely fall apart when I had to be stood out in a windswept field for the next four hours and that isn't fun even when it happens in the summer.

Screenshot of a weather forecast for the next nine days, showing high temperatures between 14 and 17 degrees and lows from 12-15. Most days are cloudy or cloudy with some sun, and have the possibility of a smallish amount of rain.

This has basically been the weather forecast every day since May where I am now and it can mean anything from shorts, no shirt and factor 50 through to full on waterproof gear with thermals underneath.

I still check it every day for some reason but the rain radar thing is the only bit that's at all accurate. (Always impresses other farmers when you can say "no, it won't rain till about 6 tonight" and you're almost always right :thumbs:)

story - I certainly take weather forecast with a pinch of salt, and if condition are changeable in next few days I bear in mind they may change a day or too sooner or later than forecast, but if there's a long, continuous similar phase of weather forecast it'll usually be near enough right

Back
Top Bottom