Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you have an assured tenancy in SW9 - Vassal ward? How much rent do you pay?

past caring

The Cathars were right
I work as a welfare rights adviser at Brixton Advice Centre...

Have a situation at the moment where I'm trying to challenge a decision by Lambeth to restrict a client's Housing Benefit on the basis that her rent is "significantly high". The rules are a little complicated so I won't go into them here, but I've got a suspicion that something is highly dubious about the council's decision (I'm not at liberty to say exactly what that may be, sorry).

Anyway, the long and the short of this is that to challenge the Rent Officer decision I need to be able to present evidence of comparable rents that are actually being paid (as opposed to the rent at which it is advertised to let by estate agents) by people with assured tenancies in the area who are not receiving Housing Benefit. I am specifically interested in one-bedroom properties with their own facilities - i.e. not accommodation where you share a bathroom, kitchen etc. If this is you and your rent is over £185 per week I would be keen to obtain details.

I am also interested in this information for the wider Brixton and Lambeth area.

Again, if you're prepared to help out I would need to see the tenancy agreement and evidence that you're actually making the payments. Any information you do provide will be dealt with professionally and with confidentiality. I know this might sound a bit dodge - but I've run it by editor and those that may be able to help can PM me and then arrange a time to come down to the centre to meet me in person and verify this is legit.

Your help could enable me to ensure that a very vulnerable individual remains in their home.

Thanks in advance.

I have sent a PM but don't have the paperwork you need. Do try rightmove to start gathering data. Good luck, sounds horrid :(

Back
Top Bottom