• Yes

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 83 36.1%
  • Audiophiles are deluded bullshitters

Votes: 116 50.4%

• Total voters
View attachment 408572

Honestly though those are some mad speakers and he built them himself, insane but I've definitely got some kind of respect for this guy for going all out on his passion.
Problem I see with his system though:
View attachment 408574
I mean what are those cables doing just lying on the floor like that!? He needs himself some cable uplifters...

also the article says when they sold this all off, those massive speakers sold for just over $10k, which is less than this pair of Yamaha bookshelf speakers:
which are $17k - I don't associate Yamaha with audophile stuff, is there a reason these are so expensive?
lovely rugs, must of cost a fair bit. been looking at similar myself.

the guy does look really depressed, maybe he spent so much money he can't afford any electric

Yamaha definitely did high-end hi-fi back in the day. They seem to be going that way again - they released a crazy expensive pair of headphones.

Ns10 are the more legendary studio ones.

I've worked on the 1000s a few times and like them.
Ns 10s are great, but what really makes them great as nearfield studio monitors is that they are well balanced and clear, but still have the sound and general tones of speakers a lot of regular people at home will be listening through. They were also incredibly robust.

In the studio I would do most of my mixing through them rather than the massive expensive Genelecs we had at the back.
I don't think NS10s would ever be considered 'audiophile' speakers though.

Ns 10s are great, but what really makes them great as nearfield studio monitors is that they are well balanced and clear, but still have the sound and general tones of speakers a lot of regular people at home will be listening through. They were also incredibly robust.

In the studio I would do most of my mixing through them rather than the massive expensive Genelecs we had at the back.
I don't think NS10s would ever be considered 'audiophile' speakers though.
I love the ns 10s and use them all the time.

Just wish they had a tad more bass....but hey, they are what they are

I switch to the neumans if i need more bass or speakers that represent a more modern sound or if i need more crisp.
Between them and the ns 10s i have everything covered, for my purposes anyway.

download.jpeg-1.jpg

the price of those headphones is ridiculous and not justified. any old headsets between £20 and £50 always do it for me.

aw man, they sound really nice especially with acoustic instruments and voices

just my floorstanders to upgrade next month. sold my arcam alpha 10 amp so money from that will go towards some.

thinking of some ipl transmision line speakers. I would sit them on some paving slabs or similar.

gonna do it!

got my chord company xlr to rca cable today, got coming out of the xlr master output of my mixer into my amp.

must say, there is a noticable improvement in imagary and low frequncies.

the quest continues....

to be fair:
I had the weirdest experience recently with a 3.5mm TRS cable which was not passing bass frequencies.
I still can't figure out why or how but the fact is it wasn't passing them unlike the other 4 that came from the same batch.
therefore: Aliens.

to be fair:
I had the weirdest experience recently with a 3.5mm TRS cable which was not passing bass frequencies.
I still can't figure out why or how but the fact is it wasn't passing them unlike the other 4 that came from the same batch.
therefore: Aliens.
What we're you playing though it? I've had some odd phase cancellation with stereo signals and faulty 3.5mm leads/inputs in the past (not experienced for years, but then I rarely use them anymore). I remember a couple of songs lost everything but the vocals (and other interesting dropouts) depending on how far I pushed in the lead (almost like it felt as if it was between conectors). I can't remember if I'd been used one of those three point ones to phono or regular stereo to phono.

What we're you playing though it? I've had some odd phase cancellation with stereo signals and faulty 3.5mm leads/inputs in the past (not experienced for years, but then I rarely use them anymore). I remember a couple of songs lost everything but the vocals (and other interesting dropouts) depending on how far I pushed in the lead (almost like it felt as if it was between conectors). I can't remember if I'd been used one of those three point ones to phono or regular stereo to phono.
first via headphones (the cable came with) then a minirig, tried various combinations of both with other cables that came with (the same batch of headphone the cable came with) and other non related cables, consistent lack of bass from this one cable was the outcome to my surprise, I still hold the cable for outside perusal and testing so I can find out where I failed in my testing with outside help.
e2a: this means that the cable was regularly plugged/unplugged/swapped and the results were a consistent lack of bass for this one particular cable in all configurations.
e2a2: most baffling.

Last edited:
first via headphones (the cable came with) then a minirig, tried various combinations of both with other cables that came with (the same batch of headphone the cable came with) and other non related cables, consistent lack of bass from this one cable was the outcome to my surprise, I still hold the cable for outside perusal and testing so I can find out where I failed in my testing with outside help.
e2a: this means that the cable was regularly plugged/unplugged/swapped and the results were a consistent lack of bass for this one particular cable in all configurations.
e2a2: most baffling.
. . . and across everything you played through it? Not just one stereo image? Was it mono?
That is weird. . .

Yamaha have always had a certain amount of a following among Hi-Fi bods IME. Up there with Rotel, Tannoy and others as the better regarded of the big names.

Back
Top Bottom