Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do we now need a General Election now

I don't know if the MPs are able to appoint a new leader without going through the members. Don't think they can

as i've said before, i'm not an expert on the vermin party rules, but i think they still can (as they did with theresa may) if it gets down to the last two, and one of those two then withdraws from the contest.

and presume the same would happen if only one candidate put themselves forward.

how likely either of those are to happen, i wouldn't like to say.

I don't know if the MPs are able to appoint a new leader without going through the members. Don't think they can
When ian duncan smith quit, michael howard replaced him without a contest as nobody else ran. I guess it depends if 2 or more mp's decide to throw their hats into the ring ( and are both able to get however many mp's they need to sign their nomination papers )

If it's up to the party members, they'd choose Johnson if they could. They don't care that's he's an amoral waster with no policies, they think he's the only one who could win them the next election

He hasn't been caught out in any blatant lies for months and people have short memories

Do you really think Johnson is popular with the electoret? Brexit's done. What else has he got? Some senile / delusional, take your pick, Tory wingnuts might think he's got the pezaz, sorted out the vaccines etc. But I'm not sure there's enough of them to make this happen. And quite a lot of people despise Johnson. His ratings went through the floor despite what the Tory membership cult tell themselves.

Do you really think Johnson is popular with the electoret? Brexit's done. What else has he got? Some senile / delusional, take your pick, Tory wingnuts might think he's got the pezaz, sorted out the vaccines etc. But I'm not sure there's enough of them to make this happen. And quite a lot of people despise Johnson. His ratings went through the floor despite what the Tory membership cult tell themselves.
And yet, appalling as Johnson's figure was, Truss's is worse.

To answer the OP, yes.

On a technical, pedantic point: no, we don't. PM's serve at the will of parliament - we literally elect MP's to decide to form/support/sack governments - who the PM is purely a matter for parliament, it's a system specifically designed to have governments come and go while parliament reigns supreme over them.

There's a follow on question when the largest bloc in parliament cannot, or will not, form or support a government, but we're not there yet.
On another pedantic note, we don't literally elect MP's to do anything. We have an unwritten constitution. We may be told by some that such and such happens, get clichéd wisdoms handed down as if they reflected reality. We've just had a situation where the Tory Party members have effectively chosen the PM. In fact the markets have just told the PM what to do next. MP's didn't. My MP, Geoffrey Cox, spent loads of time in the British Virgin Islands. I didn't elect him to do that. ( In fact I didn't elect him anyway, surprise, surprise).

as i've said before, i'm not an expert on the vermin party rules, but i think they still can (as they did with theresa may) if it gets down to the last two, and one of those two then withdraws from the contest.

and presume the same would happen if only one candidate put themselves forward.

how likely either of those are to happen, i wouldn't like to say.

That would require some sort of unity of purpose, which the tories don't have. Some fringe nutcase would spoil the whole plan by throwing their hat in the ring. And of course there's nothing to stop Johnson doing it, and then getting the members' vote in a two horse race as he likely would.

They're in deep shit.

Back
Top Bottom