Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Die Hard - One of the - if not the - Best action movie ever made?

Marius said:
Eh? The Predator is loaded up with technology and its that which saves him from our low tech weapons. Its more about us being technological infants being stalked by a creature that treats us as mere animals.

But his main weapon is the ability to merge with the jungle. And Arnie kills him with a log don't forget.

mr preddie's main powersw were invisibility and seeing in infra-red to detect heat sources. both were products of alien-advanced technology.
and without this advanced technology, he was shit. remember how he couldn''t see that well without his goggles?

I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make (and am failing to do so).

Forget about the technology of The Predator - he came from another world so we can take his advancement over us as a given. Its more to me about the threat of nature through the eyes of the soldiers, that they're masters of their world only as long they've got fuckoff guns, helicopters and an enemy they can see. The minute they face the Predator thats all useless as despite his cloaking device he uses distinctly savage and visceral methods to shred his human prey.
He's just out for a scrap, nothing complex or political.

For Arnie and the rest of them the jungle itself is the threat as it gives Mr Pred the cover he needs - and only by ditching the miniguns and daubing yourself in mud and dropping logs from a great height can you hope to defeat him. Despite the technology the fight is a very primal one - witness Predator taking off his kit at the end to do battle mano a mano with Dutch.

The Terminator taps into the similar themes - a killing machine masquerading as human.

There are many action films that are way better than Die Hard, though it is pretty good - Bad Boys 1 and 2, Robocop 1 and 2, The Last Boy Scout, Terminators 1 and 2
And Face Off can fuck off

Orang Utan said:
There are many action films that are way better than Die Hard, though it is pretty good - Bad Boys 1 and 2, Robocop 1 and 2, The Last Boy Scout, Terminators 1 and 2

You live in a Universe where Robocop 2 is better than Die Hard ? :eek:

Sigmund Fraud said:
I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make (and am failing to do so).

Forget about the technology of The Predator - he came from another world so we can take his advancement over us as a given. Its more to me about the threat of nature through the eyes of the soldiers, that they're masters of their world only as long they've got fuckoff guns, helicopters and an enemy they can see. The minute they face the Predator thats all useless as despite his cloaking device he uses distinctly savage and visceral methods to shred his human prey.
He's just out for a scrap, nothing complex or political.

For Arnie and the rest of them the jungle itself is the threat as it gives Mr Pred the cover he needs - and only by ditching the miniguns and daubing yourself in mud and dropping logs from a great height can you hope to defeat him. Despite the technology the fight is a very primal one - witness Predator taking off his kit at the end to do battle mano a mano with Dutch.

The Terminator taps into the similar themes - a killing machine masquerading as human.

point taken.

p.s.
and i can't believe you remember that his name was 'Dutch!'

Orang Utan said:
Yes! A robot cop! What could be better than a robot cop?

Difficult to argue with I suppose. :D

How do you feel about zombie cops ?

maniaccop.jpg

The Last Boy Scout holds a special place in my heart.

"Why did the bunny cross the road?"

Edited to get the quote right :oops:

Orang Utan said:

No way. Terminator's 1 and 2 are of course sacred pieces of science fiction cinema but even they don't beat Die Hard in the pure action stakes.

leftistangel said:
With the mediocre fourth sequel out in cinema's I decided to revisit the original on DVD - the granddaddy of a whole genre of action films still remains sharp, tough, and exciting as it was when I first saw it back in the late 1980's. The scenario it presents has been repeated countless times since its inception--the lone hero versus the gang of baddies, all together in a confined space, but not with the flare or charm shown here.

It's a little slower in pace the first 20 minutes than what I remember and compared to a lot of modern movies of its type. But its far more layered than your average action movie today. The bickering newscasters, the friendly patrol cop whose career is slipping by, the chauffeur driver who remains oblivious to the calamity around him. These are all nicely crafted characters that lend a little depth and warmth to a violent film.

I like it for its funniness - the chauffeur driver listening to the headphones as the body falls toward his window; the 'Car'; assistant chief Duane seeing a body go out a window and saying: 'God, I hope that isn't a hostage', etc.

Yipee Ki Yay motherfucker!

Great film, great humour 'do I sound like I'm ordering pizza', it was on dutch telly a couple of weeks ago :) which is apt as most of the baddies seem to be dutch.

The best action film is demolition man. Pacing, story, dialogue, premise, silly fights etc. By far the best.

Back
Top Bottom