Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DHFC Women's Team

We lost 4-3 away to London Bees this afternoon. It was a competitive game, but I felt they outwitted us somewhat. The better sides in this division will press us in our own half to stop us building from the back, as we did last season before wearing our opponents down.

We ended up chasing the game after conceding in the 3rd minute, yet we'd almost taken the lead seconds earlier ourselves when a shot was only partially blocked by the keeper and the ball bounced and bobbled around the goalline before it was somehow cleared to safety. Ten minutes later we were a whisker away from equalising when Phoebe Leitch's beautiful curling shot from the left edge of the box seemed destined for the top corner of the net, only to rebound off the angle of post and bar. Again we were immediately in trouble at the other end, conceding a corner that led to a second goal for Bees. We pulled one back quickly after Angie Dunbar-Bonnie was tripped inside the box and Lily Price converted from the spot. We were having plenty of the ball, yet could easily have been more than one goal behind at the interval after Bees repeatedly forced turnovers inside our half, while their miniature captain caused a lot of problems with clever movement and anticipation to find pockets of space around the edge of our box.

It looked like normal service had been resumed, as Hamlet equalised around five minutes after the break when a great delivery from the left into the centre of the goal area was powerfully headed home by Martha Goddard. However Bees regained their lead by scoring again from a corner. Just over ten minutes remained when Hamlet equalised a second time, as a free kick into the goalmouth as miscued by a defender, and popped up conveniently for Morgan Searle to head over the line from point blank range. We appeared to be favourites at this stage, but Bees scored the best goal of the match to win it, when a long ball out of their own half released their centre forward in the inside right channel, and she fired an unstoppable shot into the far corner from the edge of the box.

The linesman on the near side appeared to have no comprehension of the criterion "the whole of the ball over the whole of the line" when awarding throws, and seemed to be working on a "more out than in" basis. I reckon he gave at least three phantom throws against us, the last and most obvious of which led to the winner immediately after a throw deep inside their half, after Angie stopped the ball with a big piece of it clearly on the line. However, we probably need to become a bit more streetwise to succeed at this level. I thought Bees looked better than a side with only one point from their first 3 games, but they seem to have had tough fixtures. I'm sure today was part of a learning curve, and there will be plenty of better days to come.

Away cup game 29th September

I've just had a quick look at those 3 potential opponents. All 3 play at our level in the South West Division. Moneyfields look the strongest, with 3 wins from the first 4 league matches, plus a cup win against AFC Bournemouth, the only team to beat them in the league. Southampton Women is completely separate from Southampton the Premier League club, they're based at Solent University, and they've lost their first two games 5-0 and 9-0, so little chance they'll beat the other two. Bournemouth Sports are also based at a university campus, although they also seem to play matches at Shaftesbury FC and Hamworthy United FC. Moneyfields is in Portsmouth and their men's team was recently promoted to the Isthmian League D1SE.

Southampton host Bournemouth this Tuesday (10th September) with the winners scheduled to host Moneyfields next Sunday, 15th.

If it's Moneyfields, be aware parking on site isn't great, though street parking seemed ok a couple of weeks ago. Look for the closed road which forms a cut through towards Hilsea station, there was parking near the block point.Hilsea is about 30 mins walk.

Unfortunately the nearby Urban Island brewery doesn't open on Sunday. I don't recall seeing a pub between station and ground.

Brand new astro pitch, very heavily crumbed and probably still settling down a little when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Not all ground facilities were up and running at that point. The ground is basic but adequate for Step 4 mens.

I doubt they get much support. They are very. close to Pompey FC. Pompey are the lead tennant on the ground, there's much more evidence of them than Moneyfields in terms of branding . Pompey WFC have been flying in recent years and probably hoovered up potential fans, though they do play at Havant which may aid the Moneys. 149 for a mens game when I was there, Farnham took approaching a third of them .Pompey were at home though.

The fast trains on the SWT route from Waterloo to Portsmouth are on a diversion via Eastleigh and Hedge End that day, meaning it takes as long as the regular slow route on Southern Trains from Victoria via Gatwick. It's always disappointing to miss a new ground tick for a Hamlet game, but all of the potential venues seem to be a fair hike or a bus ride from any station, so I think I'll probably be giving this one a miss whoever we play.

I've just had a quick look at those 3 potential opponents. All 3 play at our level in the South West Division. Moneyfields look the strongest, with 3 wins from the first 4 league matches, plus a cup win against AFC Bournemouth, the only team to beat them in the league. Southampton Women is completely separate from Southampton the Premier League club, they're based at Solent University, and they've lost their first two games 5-0 and 9-0, so little chance they'll beat the other two. Bournemouth Sports are also based at a university campus, although they also seem to play matches at Shaftesbury FC and Hamworthy United FC. Moneyfields is in Portsmouth and their men's team was recently promoted to the Isthmian League D1SE.

Southampton host Bournemouth this Tuesday (10th September) with the winners scheduled to host Moneyfields next Sunday, 15th.
One down, one to go...........

One down, one to go...........
It looks like last night's match was played at Totton & Eling FC, which I think is a Wessex League ground, but Sunday's game is listed for the Hampshire FA ground in Basingstoke on the FAWN website, so it's a bit of a lottery predicting where Southampton might play us if they win. I think I'll probably have to miss it anyway now the men's trip to Chichester is only 2 days later.

It looks like last night's match was played at Totton & Eling FC, which I think is a Wessex League ground, but Sunday's game is listed for the Hampshire FA ground in Basingstoke on the FAWN website, so it's a bit of a lottery predicting where Southampton might play us if they win. I think I'll probably have to miss it anyway now the men's trip to Chichester is only 2 days later
Totton & Eling are Wessex League. It's pretty basic.as it's next door to AFC Totton, who hoover up all the local support. I went to AFC years ago, can't remember how far the walk was from the station suggesting it wasn't too bad.

Basingstoke Town are anchor tennants at Basingstoke. Very reminiscent of Moneyfields but with a little more room, and much more parking. Head for the leisure estate with the ice rink on, park in the far top corner and cut through underneath the railway. It's a fair stomp from the station, there used to be a bus but I don't know whether it survived the recent cuts. The ground is an issue for Basingstoke, it will fail grading if they are promoted.

Edited to add Southampton Women may be keen to play Hamlet. They lost in the Women's F.A. Cup Final at the old Champion Hill, 1-0 to QPR (like Southampton , a fan team not affiliated to the men's) in 1977. Saints appeared in 10 of the first 11 finals, winning 8.

Last edited:
Extended weekend away and go to the Chichester game on Tuesday night!
That's certainly an option, if only to avoid two arduous day trips. The fast trains from Waterloo to Portsmouth are diverted via Eastleigh on the Sunday, making the journey time well over 2 hours each way. There are no direct trains home from Chichester after the final whistle on the Tuesday; the first train back involves a lengthy wait for a connection at Havant, while there's a later service that will get you back to East Croydon with a change at Three Bridges before continuing fast to Blackfriars. I'd like to do both, but I certainly can't stop over. There's also the Cambridge trip this weekend, plus Chatham the following Wednesday, then a possible men's FA Trophy trip (to be drawn next Monday) on the Saturday after Chichester. It'll probably just be Cambridge and Chichester for me.

Back
Top Bottom